jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Jan 25, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

By know you probly no jj abrams is directing the new star wars movie and will most likly not be in the 3rd star trek movie. I think this is good news because now maybe paromunt can get a director that likes and is loyal to star trek to fill his spot but what does everyone here think

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

How many times are you planning to start this same topic, and in how many forums?

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, I think it's probably way too early to fret about this. I'll worry about the next next STAR TREK movie after I see INTO DARKNESS.

And what does "loyalty to Star Trek" mean anyway? Do you have to swear an oath or something? :)

Seriously, I don't care if somebody is "loyal" to STAR TREK as long as they make a good movie. It's not like STAR TREK is a religion or political party.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

In order to be creative, you have to break things, to kill your darlings, to betray what has come before. Loyalty is the last thing I want in a director (or any artist).

5. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The way people keep talking about Abrams being "disloyal" and "lying" you'd think they were dating him.

7. Greg Cox

I'm inclined to agree. Treating STAR TREK (or anything) with too much reverence sounds like a recipe for creative stagnation. You want to have fun with the toys, not turn them into sacred cows.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He wasn't in the first two either. ;)

9. Greg Cox

Snicker.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Next on Cheaters....

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

This part's been strongly rumored but not yet officially confirmed.

This part, though...
    They're still finishing the second movie right now, and there's no way to tell one way or the other at this time whether Abrams is or is not likely to direct the next. His original deal was to produce three films, and that hasn't changed. His decision to direct each of the first two has been taken on a film-by-film basis, and I expect it to be no different for the third. I'd say you'd want to start looking for word on who'll direct that movie sometime around the end of 2014 or early 2015, but certainly not much before then.

Looks to me like two threads, in two forums with differing clienteles. Not seeing a problem at this time.

12. Greg Cox

Like I said in another thread, Abrams is not married to Trek. He's allowed to date other franchises--and maybe even fool around a little. :)

13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

This forum has three whole sections dedicated to proving that being a fan of a series doesn't make someone qualified to have creative input on it.

As for "loyalty", I think having the same people doing Star Trek day after day, week after week for more than a decade contributed heavily to the Trek related disasters of '02 and '05.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  14. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for all your replies and sorry i started 2 threads it was just because i put it here and then i thought it would better qualfie to be in the future trek projects fourm.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Typing on a cell phone must be a b!tch.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

(I'm a bit worried.)

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

If Bad Robot makes the next film, Abrams will likely produce and have a hand in selecting the next director.

18. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Very True, nice...

19. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does directing Star Wars automatically rule JJ out of also doing another Trek film? Assuming production dates don't clash, is there some rule that you're not allowed to work on both franchises???

20. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Is it too early to start a wish list of directors for Star Trek 3?