sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I liked Patrick in the Unit and what I've seen of his X-Files, so this is definitely good news in my book.

2. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I was almost certain Patrick's character was going to die during the pilot of Last Resort. How else can he be the chief of the boat and only appear in the pilot?

I wonder if they are reshooting stuff for the pilot.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They couldn't do that to him again after Star Gate Atlantis?

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is a good sign. I always thought that he'd make a good regular since he can fill the military man role quite well.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Elizabeth Mitchell Joins J.J. Abrams-Eric Kripke NBC Series ‘Revolution’ As Regular

6. Caliburn24

The addition of Elizabeth Mitchell is fine, but does it have to be flashbacks? Stories can still be told linearly!

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somebody in the comments section says she doesn't "only" appear in flashbacks...

Another role was recast, but I didn't bother to post it here, since I've never heard of the actress. Why all the recasting? Is NBC is taking a harder look at the show, since it thinks it may be that big hit it's been looking for?

8. Temis the Vorta

Tom Hanks' animated sci fi series, Electric City, debuts July 17.

My main question is about distribution. It will debut on "Yahoo Screen," whatever that may be. I have Comcast, Netflix and soon Roku (superceding Comcast in my good graces). If there's some easy way I can access the show via any or all, I might check it out, but I'm not inclined to chase down a new and untried series if it's going to be a chore.

Promo here. Ehhhh...not sure I'm liking the animation style...

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's possible they didn't test well in the roles with audiences, they have other movies/series that take first position in their contracts, etc.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was just going to be on Yahoo's regular website. I'm thinking "Screen" might just be the name for their original web content.

11. Caliburn24

Hmm, Starz getting into the space opera genre?

http://tvline.com/2012/07/11/steven-s-deknight-incursion-starz-dracula/

Sounds like it will be treading into Starship Troopers/Forever War/Old Man's War territory. It seems like it could be a good fit with DeKnight's Spartacus sensibilities and heavy green-screen usage.

Oh, and JMS is working on some Dracula show.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Space opera would be cool. Space war? None for me, thanks.

Although the idea of going to a different planet each season reminds me of a thought I had for how Star Trek or a similar premise should be done: instead of just spending a few days at a planet and dealing with only a single event or group before moving on to the next planet, devote a season or half-season to a single planet, exploring its various nations and cultures and political factions and life forms and environments, before moving on to the next one. It would be a good way to overcome the bad habit of a lot of SF to treat planets as monocultures and uniform environments, and it would be a more plausible portrayal of exploration. So it would be a great format for an exploration series, though I don't see it being used as interestingly in a war series.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ DS9 should have done that with Bajor instead of getting into an intergalactic war.

I don't know if I care to see a Spartacus-style Space Opera, but I suppose it could be good. War stories just don't interest me that much.

14. Temis the Vorta

Space war is cool by me! I'm sure I've said several times that I think Starz needs to do a space based series of some kind, with their inimitable sex/violence/insanity style. Spartacus in space, bring it on!

And I love that they're avoiding Trek's dreaded Planet of the Week approach, though since all space opera will be on cable from now on, I don't expect that to rear its ugly head ever again. Cable dramas are almost all serialized.

I also hope RHW's Defender is greenlit, with a far more conservative and wholesome style. We should have many space opera series to choose from, that run the gamut.

I'd prefer that JMS was doing the space opera, not the vampire series, but either way, I'll check out both. PS, JMS has launched a multiplatform studio for movies, TV and graphic novels/comics.

15. Guy Gardener

Starpacus?

16. Temis the Vorta

Make it Starctopus, and it could be on SyFy. ;)

Blastr says JMS is also working on another TV series:

17. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does Will Smith got any more kids to throw into this one?

I like the Starz Space War series idea. I really enjoyed Space Above & Beyond way back when on FOX... It sounds like this could be in that vein, but more centralized on one location in the war and what it takes to advance forward. If they can pull off a Band of Brothers-esque ground engagement on a sci-fi scale that would be pretty epic.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

And with nudity!

19. Guy Gardener

They edited all those old movie to add colour, but now hopefully we're all civilized enough to appreciate the black and white these movies were originally produced in, but think if all that effort could have been put into creating nude scenes with photoshop?

20. Temis the Vorta

Showtime developing supernatural series.

Nah, I'd rather they call up their bosses at CBS and ask for the rights to do a Star Trek series.