La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I keep going back to the scary thought that the TOS tapes spent so many years in boxes under Neil Norman's bed. If he had suffered a house fire, it would all be gone, except for the old GNP CDs.

The big studios have vault fires, too, that we barely hear about. But the TOS music has not only survived, now it can never be lost because so many copies are dispersed around the world.

Tallguy and Methuselah Flint like this.
  2. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really?! At one point, the only tapes were under a guy's bed?

3. ZapBrannigan

The bed part may or may not be literally true, but they were at his house for years. And it was said to have taken delicate negotiations and a healthy sum to get him to agree to the LLL project after years of delay. But it all worked out somehow. :bolian:

4. Methuselah Flint

Fantastic! It reminds me of the potential possibility of film collectors having missing Doctor Who episodes. I do, however, feel for/understand the position of the collector as well as us the fans.

5. ZapBrannigan

I said "appears" at the time because I knew this was a possibility: La La Land's owner said they ended up not manufacturing the full 6000 units. When sales trailed off, they decided to let it sell out at something under the 5000 mark. I'm just noting it as a technicality.

That's still a huge success, and it means the box went well beyond the world's usual "clique" of vintage soundtrack hounds, and reached at least a bit into the broader market of average-Joe Star Trek fans.

Incidentally, along with iTunes and Amazon downloads, the physical box also had to compete against Spotify. And that's where the huddled masses can still get this music, but LLL doesn't get any royalties from the digital versions. CBS gets that money.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  6. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything is on Spotify, Amazon, etc. except The Cage, Where No Man Has Gone Before (almost worth the set by itself!), Doomsday Machine and Amok Time. Presumably because of the original GNP albums. But Shore Leave and The Naked Time are available? Weird.

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, still very impressive. Also it had a pretty high price point, a lot of people probably had to think twice before spending that much on a CD set.

DonIago and Methuselah Flint like this.
  8. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I love this set. Love love love love love!

Thanks to everyone involved!

Methuselah Flint and Indysolo like this.
  9. Methuselah Flint

I actually had a go at editing together the music for Kirk encountering Rayna in the lab in Requiem for Methuslah for Zap. I really enjoyed it, but I agree that pure raw cues don't always feature on this nonetheless amazing boxset. As such, the 'Goodbye Elaan' cue I had to fade in later to avoid the end of 'Thematic Bridge' being heard.
    I certainly wouldn't have the time to do every episode. I may go onto to do the whole of Requiem as a side project, though, as it is my favourite episode and I have heard the music countless times.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  10. yosef

yosef Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks for the heads up that it was out of stock, Neil. I've had a tab for its page on the La La Land website open on my browser for months with the intention of buying it "eventually" and noticed it was gone the other day. I assumed it'd be back until I saw your post here. I was luckily able to find a used copy online, but I suspect prices will go up pretty high soon. I've listened to many of the tracks that are on Spotify, but I'm very excited to listen to it in full and read the booklet!

Tallguy and Indysolo like this.
  11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

[​IMG]

Indysolo likes this.