Why is it Deep Space "9"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by toughlittleship, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I left the Chicago area in 1990, and at that time, WPWR Channel 50 was carrying TNG. They didn't stick with the franchise?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, I tried that before I posted. No luck.

3. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Regarding syndication, apparently WGN pulled off a feat and stopped letting all the big series pass them by. Before DS9, WPWR-50 had gotten TNG, Baywatch, and Highlander. After then? WGN got DS9, Hercules, Xena, and every Tribune series (obvious why). WGN had more spending power than WPWR. They got the WB and now CW affiliation. They're still affiliated with the Cubs, Bulls, and now air Blackhawks games (since that idiot owner of their finally died and his son got with the 20th century and started televising games), air some White Sox games (split with WCIU. All these teams air about half or more of their games on the RSN).

WPWR was great for many years with syndicated series and syndicated cartoons. They became the UPN affiliate and were one of the stations Fox bought around 2000 or so. It's been downhill for them ever since. After UPN ended, they became the affiliate of that junkbin of a network My Network TV. The dual-ownership (WFLD & WPWR) ran the station into the ground (WFLD has taken a nosedive too. Their news operation is in shambles and is a complete joke with high turnover behind-the-camera, distant last in the ratings for many years, they have idiots running the controls [messed with the signal right as the Giants won the World Series. Literally everything's fine til the last at bat, numerous weather warnings for non-existent weather during the World Series]. IIRC WPWR was always better-run back in the day but WFLD's quality has definately gone down the past several years). WFLD dumped many shows it no longer wanted on WPWR. WFLD & Fox used the channel as its garbage can. It's quite sad to see it now (judge shows 7 days a week, crappy MNTV remnant syndication, AHL hockey). WPWR-50 did have the strip-synd reruns of TNG thru IIRC 1996.

Off the top of my head, the rest of the syndicated series in the Chicago market...
    * WGN: Vanishing Son, Universal Action Pack, Adventures of Sinbad, Nightman, Adventure Inc, The Lost World. Everything except DS9 IIRC was 2-weeks behind due to WGN laziness with splitting their signal between WGN & WGN America. I'm not sure why DS9 was exempt from that (it aired Sundays in the first 3 seasons, Saturdays in the back 4 seasons as part of a block with Hercules, Xena, Earth: Final Conflict).

* WPWR: PTEN series (Babylon 5, Kung Fu: TLC, Time Trax, Pointman), Baywatch Nights, Tracker, Highlander: Raven, V.I.P. Amazon.

* WCIU: Conan, Tarzan, Flipper, back 2 seasons of Poltergeist: The Legacy. I think they had the Mortal Kombat series. They clearly got what was left, what WGN & WPWR passed on. The station's original lineup resembled METV + Svengoolie. Later on they added Stooge-a-Palooza before both ended up being switched over to the Me-channels.

* WFLD Fox-32: syndicated reairs of Stargate SG-1, The Outer Limits, 2 seasons of Poltergeist: The Legacy. A pretty stupid move because so often it ended up being pre-empted for baseball or football. Actually seemed worse than WGN for pre-emptions.

ABC-7 actually had Relic Hunter.

4. Melakon

Thanks, DeepSpaceWine. I remember one time, between '87 and '90, and don't know what local station it was, but it was very late at night, I got home from work, and there was some badly dubbed Italian movie on.

It was some sort of medieval inquisition type thing in a dungeon. I can't really be specific about what happens in the film due to maintaining decorum on the board, but it involved a naked :wtf: woman chained to a wall and a guy with a set of tongs who does something horrible with them. :eek: Lots of badly dubbed screaming.

I was sort of shocked that it was actually being shown on broadcast instead of a cable station. But I never found any news stories about it that week, so I don't know what the hell was going on.

i was living west of Highway 59 at the time, near Aurora, so maybe someone intercepted the signal. Though I had cable.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: I was thinking something very similar myself!

6. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Perhaps unlike the desingation Starbase X, the Federation uses the designatiopn Deep Space x to refer to starbases that are/where initially built initally outside of Federation sapce.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

WPWR still ended up with Voyager, if I remember right.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I always assumed that Nine made the most sense in terms of meter.

Deep Space Nine is three words which consist of two similar-sounding consonants divided by a long vowel sound.

11. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

Because Deep Space 1-8 burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the 9th one stayed and that's the one your getting.

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Damn, I was about to post this one. Kudos.

13. Melakon

Because Standards and Practices refused the title "Deep Shit Nine".

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Or, "Deep Space x" refer to a space station that belongs to a non-Federation member species, but is administered by the Federation/Starfleet.

An unusual occurrence, which is why the relatively low number of nine is employed.

:)

15. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

This is what I was thinking, as well. It could be a designation for starbases that were originally constructed by alien species, and not constructed by the Starfleet Corps of Engineers. Hence, Farpoint Station might have been designated as a Deep Space station had it been real and not a space jellyfish.

16. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Such explanations would be doubly efficient in explaining the low number: not only might it be rare for Starfleet to build or acquire Deep Space Stations in general, but they would cease to be Deep Space Stations the moment they fulfilled their usual mission of getting the locals to join the Federation, and the number would be liberated for further use.

Fun factoid to support this take on what "Deep Space" might mean is the mission of certain starships to explore "deep space" at Sector 002, right in the middle of "shallow space" - a mission revealed by far too detailed a scrutiny of certain background Okudagrams in the new TNG blu-ray releases... It seems that "deep" is not an indicator of distance at all, but rather indeed an expression for "outside direct UFP control" or "contested" or whatnot.

Timo Saloniemi