NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

So, anyone want to comment on Ray Rice's run?

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Boy, Cutler does everything for that team!

:lol:

The San Diego defense played fairly well all game, and then engaged in a public self-soiling for the ages.

4. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

That wasn't so much a run as a clinic on how not to tackle or even play defense. Pee-wee coaches will be showing that clip for years.

5. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

That was about as fun as a lube free prostate exam while throatfucking a rabid ferret.

I needed them to lose so NE could gain ground on them for the 2 seed and a bye, they already lost the tiebreaker due to a head to head loss.

6. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

The Benny Hill theme has never seemed more appropriate.

7. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so glad I resisted the urge to tease Vikings fans- made living with the debacle of the Packers game a little less humiliating. Wish I had the skill to do a Timby rant right now- the Packers sucked in every possible way.

On the plus side, I was playing against the Packers defense in the TrekBBS league and they scored -6 points. Secured my win.

8. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if that one or Marshawn Lynch's from last year was more hilariously awesome, but I'm going with Ray Rice today. :lol:

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Considering it came on ... 4th and 29 ... and 3 pts behind with a minute and 1/2 left..... (shakes head).

10. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

The defensive outing wasn't much better. Until KC stopped running the ball because it was working so well for them, the Broncos were having a lot of trouble tackling anybody. Not Chargers bad, but still bad.

Don't you know to not listen to the vodka?

What he's telling him is, "I tied your shoe for you, now fucking block someone!"

11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

But vodka gives so much, and asks so little...

:shrug:

12. The Engineer

The Engineer Commander

I'm shocked the Bucs didn't get blown out by the Falcons. Either the Bucs are pretty damned good this year for a young team or the Falcons are overrated.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Bucs haven't been beaten by more than 7 points all year. They're a pretty good team.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

So the Phillies still have won more recently than the Eagles.

15. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Both are true, IMO.

As for the Eagles, their inability to win at home against a lousy Carolina team cost me my weekly confidence pool. I saw Panthers/Eagles and automatically assumed the Eagles would annihilate the Panthers at home...wrong. I was 14-2, getting only the Seachickens and Eagles wrong; unfortunately I dumped a lot of points into the Seachickens game. :(

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like they're going to let Kaepernick's streak ride this week. If he wins this week that'll be three in a row(not including the game he replaced Smith in), better than any other Niners QB's opening streak in some 30 or 40ish years.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really do feel bad for Alex. With all the crap he's taken his entire career, I'm really surprised he's not pissed off about this. I do think Kaepernick is the right choice (More aggressive, might get the 49ers over that hump) but man I am tired of seeing Smith get shit on.

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I give Smith all the credit in the world for soldiering on, and he's made some improvements in his game, but even if he didn't have the whole "seven offensive coordinators in seven years" thing hanging over him, it wouldn't change the fact that he's basically only capable of a limited number of throws from about 15 yards in. It's easy to say that Smith has been having a phenomenal season, numbers-wise, but that's traditional numbers based upon having a running game, run-blocking offensive line (Oh, God, imagine Cutler behind that line), and coaching staff that's superior to everyone else in a passing-oriented league. His advanced numbers only take some of that context out and they drop him into the average to slightly above average (12th in DYAR, 20th in WPA, 15th in PFF player grade, and so on). Using some common sense for team context drops him even further.

I do wonder what he'd be if he hadn't suffered that shoulder injury.

In any event, look at it this way: Smith is going to get cut (no one will trade anything substantial for the last two years of that contract) and the dude is gonna get paid, considering how many teams are desperate for quarterbacks. Look at the paydays that Matt Cassel and Kevin Kolb are getting, for Christ's sake.

19. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even though Smith is getting a fairly raw deal right now, Harbaugh actually did him a huge favor by giving him another chance. Smith is going to be able to go out onto the market with the world seeing that, while he won't exactly set the world on fire, he can play quality, efficient football. There will be a team out there that needs a starter or someone to compete for the starting job, and the last season and a half have likely helped turn Smith into a viable candidate for that instead of being forever doomed to the role of second-rate backup.

Edit- And Timby pretty well beat me to the punch on that.

20. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Who's desperate for quarterbacks of Alex Smith's caliber this year (especially teams that weren't interested in Alex Smith LAST year)?

Just looking at the teams that have poor quarterback play: Arizona didn't want Smith last year. Miami is set with Tannehill. The Jets are stupidly set with Sanchez/Tebow (all while Greg McElroy sits 3rd string and wasn't even on the active roster on Thanksgiving... stupid Jets). Cassel as you say is set.

I just don't see another team wanting Alex Smith for a starting role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.