Tor.com DS9 rewatch by Keith RA DeCandido

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Jarvisimo, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Some of you may be aware already of the DS9 rewatch that started this week on Tor.com. It is being written by Keith R.D. DeCandido (KRAD), the noted Trek author and editor. Krad did Tor's TNG rewatch, which was really fun. It is an interesting review in that it is both a writer and a fan who is criticising the show, and the discussion below each episode is rather good too.

In addition, AV Club's DS9 rewatch by Zach Handlen (a virgin watcher to the show) is into season 5, and well worth looking at too.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I couldn't disagree with him more regarding Sisko's reactions to Jennifer's death. Both the actual death and his return to it later on, I love Avery's performance in these sequences. Maybe I'm in the minority, I dunno...but I don't care. :)

3. Jarvisimo

I agree, Tosk. Brooks's wonderful sense of frustration & loss has always affected me. And I like how Dukat enters the episode, although yes he does dissapear too quickly into the wormhole & basic villainy.

There's a great music video on youtube which uses exactly these Sisko crying bits (and a lot of other great footage, including the predictum Dukat bit, at 3.30): you've probably scene it. It's gorgeous. It's called The Sisko (naturally).

4. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Not too fond of the format - I'm not sure we need an episode summary of Memory-Alpha-like thoroughness. But I'm going to keep track of this one, and go back and read the TNG one. I like these sorts of things.

5. Jarvisimo

There will be many people who read it who don't know MA, so a full synopsis is helpful for readers who haven't seen the episode either in years or ever, I presume. Also when analysing a text or object, you always should start from a description before moving on to your analysis and extrapolation: otherwise it isn't easy for you to demonstrate why you are making the points you make.

But I love these & the AV Club ones. The TOS ones on Tor were very good, and the TNG & DS9 ones on AV Club are very well written.

6. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I agree with you, I think that these are standouts in the episode and really set this character apart from all that have come before him. He is a wounded man, what a place to begin a character arc!