The Borg and JJ's universe

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DarthTom, May 2, 2013.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm all for seeing the JJBorg in the next one, but I want them without a Queen-type leader.
    But I don't think that would happen.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not according to DTI: Watching the Clock. It says that if it's a strictly one-way time travel like the black holes in STXI, an alternate history branches off. But if it's a two-way time travel method, then the new reality created remains entangled with the old and overwrites it.

That said, the novels aren't canon and are prone to being contradicted. But that explanation does jibe quite well with just about every prior episode and movie we've seen, as well as the comments from the new movie's writers.

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:confused:

Contradicting yourself. So does JJ's universe then stamp out the existing one or is a parallel universe created?

To make it work though - you're right. Because in order for the Federation to exist at all, the Borg have to travel back in time.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no contradiction. The black hole was a one-way time travel, so it created a branching timeline splitting off in 2233. The two-way forms oftime travel, like the vortex in "Yesterday's Enterprise" (which could be flown back and forth through), caused the prime-timeline to be overwritten, as did use of the Guardian of Forever time portal or the slingshot maneuver.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Even though the novels are not canon they do help me explain the events of Trek 09. There are many different types of time travel. Some types of time travel will be contained in one time line and may not effect that timeline or it could possible overwrite the timeline. We see this in the majority of Trek movies/shows. This type of time travel is contained to one singular universe and is linear. Another type of time travel will create and alternate or parallel universe. That is what we see in Trek 09.

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Or every type of time travel creates an alternate timeline, it's just that most of them are so identical to the original as to be practically indistinguishable.

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see. It's all 'trek-nobabble,' [TM] though right? ;) And a convenient way to solve contunity problems.

On topic; What are the Borg up to in JJ's universe right now - any speculation? Because of all of the temporal activity in the Alpha quadrant it wouldn't peak their interest?

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

One problem I'm having with the JJ films is they're predominantly Earth-centric. If the Borg were to show up in the third film, I fear it would simply be Borg invade Earth, which we've already seen. If they somehow work the Temporal Cold War into this, I'll scream.

9. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Do these universes get created, or they always existed. If it was created then the Narada's appearance created a copy of an entire universe and a copy of everyone in it.

So the NuUniverse has no past and didn't exist, therefore no appearances by future visits or anyone else.

10. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't cross streams !!! :P

Sorry, wrong franchise...

New universe is created at this point.

Multiverse quantum physics can get extremely weird sometimes.

This is the logical assumption.

Also, a new timeline is not created by the FORWARD travel, but by the backward travel only.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

OneBuck: remember Multi-Quote, please. I'll merge your triple post.

12. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

next movie premise: We know the Borg seek out technology worthy of assimilation. Certainly the Narada's advanced tech, especially since it included 25th century Borg tech would be a very tempting target for the Borg from nuKirk's era. So, the Borg come to the Alpha Quadrant seeking to assimilate the tech from the Narada.

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ That's assuming there is anything left of it that wasn't sucked in by the black hole and/or destroyed by the Enterprise's ejected beer tanks...er...warp core.

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Borg come back in the next one. Might be interesting...

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Ahhhh fuck me...

I think I know how it could be done: V'ger. They could merge V'ger and the concept of the Borg and have V'ger (still Voyager VI / Voyager II) being at the core, but in its effort to evolve it started assimilating humans to try to figure out how to merge with God.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They already did include a V'Ger-Borg connection in the Nero comics back in 2009.
    I think it was that both V'Ger and the Borg are products of an unknown, ancient civilization.

16. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I don't think of a new timeline being created. I interpret it as one timeline branching into two. That before 2233, the prime Universe and JJVerse share a past, in that sense they both always existed.

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Another way of doing the Borg: Starfleet has Enterprise's records, some remains from the arctic. Figures, "we can make this shit work for us"; cue Borg invasion.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see TNG reboot to follow this J.J TOS verse, A new modern and once again scary Borg sounds tasty to me ;)

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Like I said in another thread, I wouldn't mind if they adapted "Q Who?" and used Trelane instead of Q (played by James Callis of course).

A big budget borg movie could show us a lot of things they couldn't do on TV, like a ground view of a planet being sliced up and assimilated.

Origin of the Species

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picard and crew's actions in ST:FC didn't create an *alternate* timeline, they merely fulfilled the existing one. Meaning: The Ent-E's participation in the events of 2063 was always supposed to happen. It's a predestination paradox.