Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the works

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

Oh, it's only just begun! :rommie:

And strangely enough, I can't actually find anything in that statement to object to. By the end of the war, the philosophy was total warfare and none too merciful. Lincoln did suspend habeas corpus.

But at least none of them were vampires. :p

Cuz he was way better than the delusional and racist Confederacy? Just a guess.

2. Nelly334

Nelly334 Lieutenant

Glad you can be honest about Lincoln, slavery would have died off sooner then people think regardless, the industrial revolution combined with european attitudes (aka trading partners) would of doomed slavery faster then people seem to think.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Highly speculative. Keep in mind that the South didn't just keep slavery alive because of rational, economic motives but also because it formed the basis of their entire social system. That's why even poor whites who didn't own slaves supported the system - it gave them a place in society that wasn't at the bottom of the heap. Really, belief in slavery constituted an ideology, and people will defend ideologies even when their rational basis has been eclipsed.

OTOH, the ideology of Northerners - either abolitionist, or the many folks who simply believed in America and its great shining future, and didn't care one way or the other about slavery - could be just as merciless and uncompromising. The Civil War was a clash of ideologies, like WWII or the Cold War, and that kind of fight can become pretty horrible, because ideologies encourage people to believe anything is justified, because they are Right with a capital R.

The more I read about the Civil War, the more I'm grateful that Americans aren't remotely like that anymore. All the partisan nonsense going on now is merely a dim echo of what went on then.

And Europeans looooved that steady supply of cotton that supported their huge textile industries. Europe's elite classes were more sympatico with the Southern "artistocracy" than crass money-grubbing Yankees. No telling how they really would have factored into things.

So getting back to the topic at hand, the whole vampire metaphor is fun but extremely limited in how enlightening it is. What would be even more fun is to have someone tell the full and truthful story about the Civil War. It would be wild, hairy and incredibly dramatic. I keep hoping for a TV series on the topic, something that is brave enough not to just stick to Grant did this, and Lee did that, and it was all about armies maneuvering in the fields. Boooooring!

4. Nelly334

Nelly334 Lieutenant

To the average poor white man, and most were poor, they didn't care about slavery. It was tariffs and northern domination of the federal government that also led to the civil war. State pride played a large part to, once they were at "war" with the Union, most men felt the natural desire to defend their homes.

5. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Great.

Another apologist for The Slaver's Rebellion.

6. Nelly334

Nelly334 Lieutenant

Great.

Another victim of old post war propaganda.

7. nightwind1

[​IMG]

8. Nelly334

Nelly334 Lieutenant

If you can't prove me wrong, then just be a man about it and admit it.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

But, but, this is the only movie ever made that will paint Lincoln as a butcher (of vampires).

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're awfully fresh for a newb.

What if nightwind is a woman? What does being a man have to do with anything? Why would you, with the username that is traditionally that of a woman, tell someone to "be a man"? Do you have something against your own gender? And if you're male, why would you, as someone named "Nelly", tell someone else to "man up"?

Also, just so you're aware of my political leanings in regards to the Civil war, and for the record, I'd suck Lincoln's dick while he was laying on the confederate battleflag. "The South" as you perceive it, will never rise again, and it will be because those that want it don't have the intellectual wherewithal to simply ignore something so simple as a movie they don't like. It's pretty pathetic.

Also, Abe Lincoln was, and always shall be, much more of a man than Jefferson Davis, who sought only to impregnate young black women at his leisure.

11. nightwind1

[​IMG]

12. Nelly334

Nelly334 Lieutenant

I hate yankee arrogance, your vulgar nature however makes further replies with you useless in this regard.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that the North didn't dominate the government. Indeed, due to the 3/5ths counting of persons not taxed, the South was overrepresented.

All the more reason to curse the memory of the sick Confederate ruling class that stoked their war fever.

14. Amaris

I don't like bigots, and I don't like Confederate sympathizers, and I feel they are one and the same. I offer them no respect because they deserve none.

This movie might become a cult classic, because people like vampires, and people love Abraham Lincoln and see him as a hero. Was he flawed? Yes. Was he better than the alternative? Absolutely.

15. nightwind1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Nelly334

Nelly334 Lieutenant

I have not said one racist thing, I respect my ancestors including the ones who fought against britain in the revolutionary war and ones who fought against the union during the civil war, the ones who deserve zero respect are the yankees who have managed to fool themselves into thinking they were heros, instead of the truth, they were murderers, rapists and tyrants.

17. nightwind1

Typical bigoted Confederate apologist. You can't even write with correct English syntax.

Go back to grade school and learn proper English along with proper history.

18. Nelly334

Nelly334 Lieutenant

The south was unfairly taxed and had insane tariffs put upon them due to the larger populations in the union, it was a justified act to secede.

19. Amaris

You're cute. :adore:
    Anyhoo, that's enough thread derailing about ancestral shit that doesn't matter anymore. Back to the movie!

From what I've read of the reviews, the premise has been more popular than the actual execution. While I'm still wanting to see it, I'm wondering whether they managed to blunder so simple a fantastic concept as this one.

20. Nelly334

Nelly334 Lieutenant

Guess I can add grammar nazi to the list of reasons we don't get along.