What do you want to see in TAS Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by newtontomato539, Nov 19, 2012.

1. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

I want to see the Klingons slowly look like they are in the TOS movies, better Kzin, the Enterprise bridge slowly look like the TMP bridge, more M'Ress, more Arex and add scenes from the Alan Dean Foster adaptations. :techman:

2. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

So more of a remake then a remaster

I rather suspect the only thing that might happen with TAS is an upscale.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think TAS needs remastering, but if there was one shot that would benefit from attention, it was the title sequence version of the Enterprise fly-by, which had the ship quickly move from left to right, instead of the ship racing from infinity and toward the foreground, as seen in TOS.

This would be an interesting experiment, and only if the new version replicated the Filmation design of the Enterprise and the starfield.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd love if they redid the animation reusing the voice work, sound tracks and music.

5. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I think getting a decent japanese studio to do the animation would cost something close to $100k per episode.

I'm not sure the demand is there to ever make this viable.

6. BillJ

So they could re-do the entire show for $2.2 million? Sounds like a bargain for something you could resell to broadcasters and home video.

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Well, a bit more - that's Just the cost for the animation. I got that figure from an article last year that estimated the complete cost for an episode of Japanese animation at $145k:

http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make

Then take off sound, script, and a couple of the others will be cheaper, and the yen has depreciated vs the dollar significantly since this article was written. But then I suppose there'll be extra costs associated with timing to the audio & cleaning it up(unless the job done with the dvd version was sufficient).

8. BillJ

Still doesn't seem like an incredibly large investment for a company like CBS.

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Actually – and I only know about that, because someone mentioned it in another thread the other day – all of TAS' negatives have already been scanned for the DVDs. So no upscaling; the blu-rays will contain HD material. In fact, the "Trouble With Tribbles" blu-ray from season two of TOS on blu-ray actually features the HD version of "More Tribbles, More Troubles".

As for what I want to see: The show as we know and love it, only with more clearity. Nothing added and nothing taken away.

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I don't want to see TAS remastered, period.

11. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

CGI

With how both The Clone Wars and Iron Man: Armored Adventures turned out, they could redo all of the Star Trek Animated shows as CGI.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It does when it is an investment the company doesn't need to make. The episodes are HD ready. There's no reason to invest that kind of cash, especially into a product that has pretty limited appeal, like TAS. There's a reason it isn't syndicated as often as any of the live action series -- there just isn't demand from viewers. (Not to mention, there aren't that many episodes, which make it even more unappealing to buyers).

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, and yes.

:)

14. TREK_GOD_1

Why? What is the point of trashing the very work which attracted viewers/won an Emmy, etc.? Look at the Star Wars situation--the original films have been screwed with again and again since 1997, and most of the changes are not only pointless, but stand out as obvious computer artifacts...and that's from the alleged best efx house in the world.

15. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

They're talking about complete animation replacment, the issues star wars had with mixing and matching don't really come into play.

New animation + old audio can be done successfully. Toei, the animation house in charge of one of the most successful japanese cartoon series , "one piece", has been making it for over thirteen years, so the early episodes look markedly different to the later ones. When they have to do flashbacks they often totally redo the animation so it's not so jarring, and it looks rather good.

Whether it should be done can of course be argued.

16. BillJ

Star Trek is what drew viewers to the Animated Series. And it's not trashing the work, its offering a different visual interpretation. It always drives me crazy when people offer up these all or nothing scenarios. :scream:

17. TREK_GOD_1

The work had to pass the quality test to make viewers care. Lou Scheimer was determined to respect the content, and that went a long way in making TAS work.

If a low-balling company like Hanna-Barbera produced TAS, fans would have revolted with episode one, as it is a bit distracting to see characters' arms slip off of the body, insignias switch colors, and backgrounds painted on the level of a pre-schooler with watercolors.

That was H-B in the early 70s, and as the other big U.S. animation house (on TV), ST was more than blessed to have Filmation handle the series, which--as seen right out of the gates in 1973--was the right direction.

But to your point:

What is wrong with respecting original work and the artists responsible for creating said work?

Are some fans totally incapable of enjoying anything not fed through the grinder of CG revision?

While on the subject of ST, TOS Remastered was a terrible experiement, since the space shots and the Enterprise look no more realistic than a video game sequence. How does that help tell the stories, or make them enjoyable?

18. BillJ

If they remaster TAS, the original doesn't disappear from my shelf. It still exists. As far as the quality of TOS-R goes, it was indeed a very hit-or-miss project. But I'm still happy they gave it a try. Because, once again, my DVD's didn't disappear from my entertainment shelf. Same thing goes for Star Trek 2009, not exactly my favorite ST property but it didn't erase what came before from the universe.

And I never bought the "disrespects the work" angle. It's a forty year old property, if anything it shows an incredible amount of respect that someone wants to take the time to update it for modern audiences.

19. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

The original work is already out.

What's wrong with a new spin on it. Though I wouldn't want cgi myself, just high quality animation.

20. BillJ

Which is what I'd like to see done as well. :techman: