Sto cannon with the novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Movieguy12, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Movieguy12

Movieguy12 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm sure this has been asked a Bunch. But are the books and sto cannon with each other? My main reason for asking is the Borg in sto and the destiny novels?

Thank you!

2. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

No, they are not compatible. The Borg storyline is one example, but other inconsistencies are present concerning the Elachi, the bluegills, Bajor, etc. STO has borrowed some concepts from the novels, but that is the extent of it.

3. Movieguy12

Awesome thank you!!

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are we talking about phaser cannons or torpedo cannons, like in the game Voyager: Elite Force?

Perhaps you meant "canon."

Kor

5. Movieguy12

Dangit every time lol. I'm always typing so fast I don't pay attention :.(. Lol thanks!

6. JTShanks

JTShanks Lieutenant Red Shirt

They aren't compatible; look at the Neural Parasites for example; they were relatives to the trill that seperated 2 years before joining the Federation in the books, but according to STO; they're a servitor race to the Iconians.... they don't mix.

7. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

When STO was in development, I got the impression that the original intent was to create a unified "expanded universe" like what Star Wars had at the time. The Borg extinction nixed that.

8. Movieguy12

Yeah that's what ignited my question mainly.

I understand wanting to keep such a character group and great around, but dang was destiny good!

9. laibcoms

laibcoms Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yep. Likewise. I remember there were press releases during the early development of STO (I think that was before it was transferred to Cryptic) that STO is the new "canon" since we won't be getting any live-action productions any longer.

From then until I started reading Relaunch books, I assumed it was that way, especially considering how Cryptic has to get the approval of CBS in any story, characters, etc. that they do. AFAIK, they don't have a 100% independence as far as the story of STO goes. (Hence, Andromeda galaxy was hinted... at least there, they'll have complete literary control.)

But I've asked around over at trek bbs's Litverse forums and found out the "truth". There is only one canon, and that will always be the live-action productions (films and TV; perhaps if CBS/Paramount create webisodes, then those as well). Anything else are tie-ins.

Further, it was explained that in the books, they are to follow what's canon, not their fellow tie-ins (if I understood it correctly). Since the books are still following the Primeverse and what was left of it in the canon, then they're building upon it. While STO was given the go ahead to use some books, some comics, and the vital point in time - the supernova and disappearance of Spock.

In the novels, we're yet to see this point in time being mentioned. But since some part of this was mentioned in ST11, that makes it canon - again only those that were mentioned ... specifically at that. (Example, Hobus was never mentioned in ST11, it was just a supernova somewhere else -- the books can choose to call it Suboh if they like :p )

And with where STO is going, they're too divergent already. ;) Not to mention, it's hard to create content in different points in time because sooner or later there will be overlaps and contradictions.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the only novel that is compatible with STO is The Needs of the Many.

11. laibcoms

Yep. I think Cryptic was behind it, or maybe CBS, trying to find if Novels would be bought by STO players. (Like how in other online games, novels are as popular.)

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

As did CBS' insistence that STO maintain the last bit of 'Prime Universe canon' RE: The Hobus supernova and destruction of Romulus.

The STO Dev team has stated they HAD Romulus nearly completed and missions with Romulan storylines that all had to be dropped when CBS told them during the game's development - Romulus is destroyed in the 'Prime Universe' as part of the new (2009) film and we've made a cross promotional deal with Paramount - so STO needs to reflect this.

13. laibcoms

Ah there we go. I'm not the only who remembers the STO is as canon as canon can be because CBS is involved.

Since last year, I've been trying to search for the past articles and interviews but I can no longer find those. It's as if I lived in a different timeline.

14. Kor

I tried to play STO on a PC that was five years old, and it just would not run!

I have since gotten a new computer, so I think I will give it a shot again.

There was some kind of Romulan mission expansion that I was looking forward to. What is involved in this if Romulus is gone?

Kor

15. JTShanks

JTShanks Lieutenant Red Shirt

Romulan Refugee's escaping the domination and tyranny of the Romulan Star Empire and the Tal'Shiar remnants who survived Romulus' destruction. Forming a new Romulan government called the Romulan Republic.

But that expansion is outdated, nowadays we got the Iconian Wars going on.

16. Kor

So once an expansion is outdated, it's impossible to play those missions anymore? :(

Kor

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    You start on a colony, and then the story continues... My favourite storyline, TBH :) As a Fed you just follow orders, as a Romulan... it's personal! :devil:

You can play it! It's not "outdated", as in removed. It was added in the past, and more content added since, but you can still play it, and be a Romulan.

I read that many missions were removed, but there's still great content left to enjoy. :)

18. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

To clarify, it was not removed. It added the ability to play Romulan characters. If you do, it gives you a Romulan-specific story arc (which is easily the most awesome of the three IMO) although later you have to choose to ally with either Fed or Klingon and later stories will involve you doing that factions missions. Once the game gets to a certain point, all three races are fighting the same enemies so missions become non-faction specific.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And even that one is way less compatible now.