SMALLVILLE |Season 9 Episode 17 | Checkmate

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Apr 9, 2010.

?

How Was "Checkmate"?

Poll closed May 9, 2010.
  1. SUPERMAN! (Excellent!)

25.9%
  2. Red-Blue Blur (Above Average)

51.9%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

14.8%
  4. Kal El (Below Average)

7.4%
  5. Bizarro!? (Poor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I bet it is a red snuggie. Made from the blankets he was wrapped in when he came to Earth and it gives him an idea...

You just wait and see.

They will wet themselves wanting more because Nolan is currently the Obama of superhero movie directors.

:shifty:

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Might I recommend dozens of comics during the 50's showing Superman definitely not acting like a boy scout, being bitter, jealous, overall physical and vindictive.

Now it isn't something thats typical with the character, but through his run he hasn't always been this "boy Scout". In fact the early you go in his history the further away you can see the character behaving.

3. Broccoli

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Clark does have that cape that Christina Millian's character gave him in the Warrior Angel movie episode from last season but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that was the case. LOL

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

He will be given the suit of the first Superman...before you say no...doesn't this sound like something Smallville would do? :shifty:

[EDIT] I finally got to see the stupid episode. :lol: I gave it Above average. I am too lazy to go back and read...but I know MM is working with someone big...who could it be??? I liked all the action scenes...don't know why people were complaining. Poor Tess...she looked awful in that black wig. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was one of the things that made my face hit the palm. Would it have kill 'em to pick up a copy of Chess for Dummies? :rolleyes:

But as Admiral Young said, maybe it was intentional--you know, tho show Waller really doesn't know what the fuck she's doing? Not that you couldn't have picked that up after watching five minutes of the show, especially after how badly she got punked.

And about that...

I think it's Chloevage. The whole thing was a ruse on her part. She does have a precedent for that sort of thing now.

7. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    whatever happened to chloe's mutie power... didn't she use to be able to cry on someone and heal them or make them undead or something...
    like that potter phoenix

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    I think she lost it when she was infected by Brainiac.

9. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want to retract what I said about Black's pawns on the back rank. After looking at the first scene again in slo-mo, it now appears that Black doesn't have any pawns on the back rank. So the scene wasn't as stupid in chess terms as I first thought. The position is only stupid because Black has placed a bishop on B4 but cut off a possible retreat for the same bishop by advancing a pawn to C5. Meanwhile, White has a potential mating attack using knight and queen and Black is playing no defense whatsoever.

In the remainder of the episode, boards are certainly set up wrong, with black squares in the lower right corner for each side. Chess For Dummies could have prevented such gross errors.

10. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    but only a miniscule amount of people whoever watched that episode would care about such trivality... most of the smallville audience are/is going to watch that episode and say.... Chess... O... Cerebral.... No Go There....

they don't care.

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

They could have been playing hungry hungry hippo and the general audience would have been oblivious. :lol:

12. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A 48 minute episode and you guys are obsessing over a 2 second shot of a chessboard?? Who gives a fuck? :lol:

This episode was light years better than the piece of crap last week. I like the comic book style action sequences. My favorite was the lights blinking on and off where Clark and Chloe disappear during the blink.
    Another cool scene was seeing MM on the screen and Clark whizzing away and appearing there a few seconds later.
    Overall, I thought the episode moved along well and kept you interested. The only real disappointment is knowing that the climax of this season will be about the Zod plotline which has been very underwhelming thus far.

13. Broccoli

Really? I thought that she lost it when the writers forgot about it. :p

Now, that would be awesome. An shady government organization that center's its theme around Hungry Hungry Hippos. What would they call it?

14. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know it sounds silly. I put up with Smallville's numerous departures from Superman tradition, but I go nuts if it gets chess wrong.
    :vulcan: