Was Picard gay?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by john titor, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Seems to be a lot of that going on lately. Almost as if a concentrated effort.

(whoops, I just made it to commodore)

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Was Picard gay? Who honestly cares?

3. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Necrothread ...

Frankie went to Hollywood. Picard did not.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, Picard experiment some while he was at the Academy, who didn't?

That how he first became "friends" with Jack Crusher. But Jack, even after his marriage to Beverly, wouldn't let go, and it was necessary for Picard to send Jack on a away team mission where he would surely be killed.

Picard felt guilty about that decision for years. It was only in the arms of the transvestite Vash that he could find solace and relief.

:)

5. hayesc0

hayesc0 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I once saw a thread like this asking is quark gay when he constantly hit on women this on is equally dumb

6. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

As much as I hate to post a serious reply to a joke thread...

I don't think sexuality in the 24th century will be nearly as black and white as could be portrayed on 1980s network television. And I'm pretty certain Picard is at least a little Q-curious.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is such a good story, they should let you write Star Trek.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sexuality would seem to get even more muddied when you take into account that all aliens probably aren't bigendered. :p

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

By "muddied," you of course mean "interesting" and "fun." :D

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Tellarites are supposedly "pig-like," so for them to have sex in a pit of mud is perfectly normal. However, when a Human joins them, then it ceases to be normal.

:)

11. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't be too sure...

[​IMG]

12. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Either way, I don't care.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Only in modern culture could a character be tagged as gay just because he's not lusting his ass off over every woman he sees.

Yeah Picard didn't exactly go after a lot of women, but did he go after any men? And in Tapestry it's heavily implied he was a huge ladies man when he was younger. The man is 60 and he's an introvert, and a Captain. He doesn't go after women a lot because he's withdrawn from the game.

14. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

Picard wasn't gay he was just British.

I would think that by the 24th century labels such as gay or straight won't exist any more. People will just be attracted to whomever they're attracted to.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's because of Kirk. Legacies.

16. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Depends. Was Sisko gay? Yes, he got married and his wife was died in the pilot. Nonetheless, he seldom actively chased women. If anything, Jake introduced Kassidy to him. And Janeway hardly got any action on her ship. And even then, this was with a hologram lol... Archer didn't have a relationship as such, just a brief fling with the CO of his sister ship.

If anything, this at least represents real life, in that there are many who don't actively seek relationships, have careers that interest them, children to raise, etc.

17. Dix

Dix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He may not have been into women, but that doesn't make him "gay". He simply could have been asexual or not that much interested in intimate relationships. It was the latter, I think. What's wrong with that? Besides, when you're a captain of a Federation flagship you don't have much time for those things.

@yousirname

lol@the pic
    (that's when he is begging him... but taken out o context it looks like something else:-)

18. lordbaltimore1

lordbaltimore1 Ensign Red Shirt

He's not a "ladies man" like Kirk, but I was disappointed the ST writers didn't bother to give him a sustained monogamous hetero relationship. Especially once the movies rolled around. If not Beverly, then some other wholesome, sophisticated lady of a certain age. His fling with that gal in Insurrection while Beverly's right there seemed especially out of character.

He seemed more like a one-woman guy than a ladies man or a gay guy (not that there's anything wrong with that).

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Only Mr. Mot would know for sure.

20. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Stewart can indulge in flamboyancy from time to time and occasionally he let it slip through his characterization of Picard. But no... he was straight as they come.

Actually, he was secretly Andorian but he had Beverly bob his antennae and tint his skin, because he was afraid of not being completely accepted.