November Challenge-Redemption

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Kaziarl, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I agree that many have forgotten the original intent. One of the stories I remember hearing was that of the pilgrims not being prepared for winter, so the indians helped them out and there was a feast for all to give thanks. Whether thats 100% accurate, or if it's been told, retold, and re-interpreted over time, who really knows. But I like the idea.

It's also the reason that my own personal traditions for thanksgiving extend beyond family and include friends.

However, at the same token, I think it's important that the tradition still exists. I can't recall any right now, but I do remember one of my teachers talking about similar traditions having been lost entirely.

2. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    ^ All we Brits have is November 5th where we get to blow stuff up.:lol: There might be a Union day but if there is, its forgotten.

3. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

didnt mean to sound condescending or anything, i'm not american so i dont know the real meaning of it. i just know what i pick up here and there.

4. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Amen.

The version I learned (supported by the writings of John Winthrop himself, BTW) was that they came here, and tried to experiment the first year with pooling their resources together, in a proto-communist fasion. It failed miserably, and resulted in no food for the winter, etc. The Indians with Squanto came in and helped see them through the drought.

For the next year, Gov. Winthrop resolved to wipe the slate clean and start over, giving each family a piece of land, where each family would be responsible for its own. With this incentive, work productivity increased, the fertility of the ground was channeled, and come harvet, there was enough left over after the families had provided for themselves to have a feast, to celebrate this blessing of God.

The Indians who had so generously helped them before were invited to take part--and the rest is history. :)

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Whether or not I'm in time, you'll get to see it. :)

6. ares93

Hmm, here in Södertälje (aka Little Baghdad) we have these kinds of holidays as well. usually on saturdays, but its been known to happen on weekdays as well. Last victim was a 2009 Saab 9-5 police cruiser I believe. Unless they've blown up something else during these last few hours...

Spent the afternoon clearing out the interior of the damn thing. You wont believe how difficult it is to remove burned out seats from a car...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  7. Rush Limborg

Oh, you're fine! :) I was just telling the tale....

8. ares93

Thanks :) You know, its pretty complicated to be this international :lol:

On the positive side, you learn a lot. :techman:

9. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I think this is the longest challenge thread I've seen in a while. lol.

Love it!

10. ares93

^ lets see if we can make it ten pages, shall we?

btw: thanks for the beta read.

11. Thor Damar

^ Aha, a challenge within a challenge eh?

BTW, I'm just about half way there now. If that does not sound too impressive then I should mention that I wrote most of it within several hours last night, so I'm hoping to have it ready by the weekend. (or even sooner):)

12. ares93

^ precisely :lol:

I have only one, albeit major, scene left. Currently on 4124 words. I'll probably get it up to 5500 though. But thats about it. If nothing interferes it should be posted tomorrow, or on friday.

13. Rush Limborg

Me, I'm just worried that my tale will go down into the "next page" of the FanFic forum by the time the competition goes into full gear....:(

14. Thor Damar

Don't worry fella, there must be tons of Ezri fans out there...

15. Rush Limborg

At least as many as there are Cardassian fans, I should hope....;)

But seriously--it's kinda down to: have you read Zero Sum Game? If so, you should have no problem reading the tale. If not...well, do you want to be spoiled on it?

16. ares93

^ yeah, thats a side effect of using known characters and writing according to the books. One of the main reasons my trek stories either take place in the 25th century or involve matters that has not been covered in the books. that way, its easier to get the reader into the story, so to speak.

17. Thor Damar

Since I may not have read it by the deadline, I shall chose to be. After all, I can't vote in good conscience without having read all the entries now can I?
    (besides I've already spoiled myself on the major development in that novel...)

I just hope people will be able to stand the deck that I'll be posting very soon.:alienblush:

(Edit: Mine does take place during season 7 of DS9, but I'm kinda assuming that everyone will have seen the episode in question by now...)

18. ares93

AU during season 7 of DS9? Please tell me mirror Ezri is involved. Please? Please? :angel:

19. Thor Damar

I am just your plan and simple writer.:cool: You'll have to wait a couple of days to find out who our humble players are ...

20. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Damar thinking about what he had done to Ziyal?

BTW, where can I subscribe to that Cardassian TV channel from your avatar?