Microsoft Rumoured to Buy Mojang (Minecraft) for $2 Billion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kelthaz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The rumours were true.

:sigh:

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, my guess was just about right as to the reasons. But holy crap, $2.5 billion?!?? :eek:

And from his personal blog: "It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity." (Although the money has to be very nice regardless!)

3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Who can blame him? Nobody, that's who.

4. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How much money can there be left in Minecraft to make 2.5 billion worth it?

I own six accounts and I'll never buy another one.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's very popular with kids (my brothers' kids go nuts for it) and kids are getting old enough to play every day and pestering their parents for an account. That aside there's also the branding and merchandising rights.

If memory serves the rule of thumb for any corporate buyout is usually around five or six times the company's annual intake. From what I've heard of the kind of business Mojang does, that figure is about right.

Though I'm a little surprised as his choice of buyer, I can't really blame Notch for cashing out. He never signed up to be the CEO of a major software company, nor did he ask to be the de-facto figurehead of the indie gaming scene.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Microsoft is trying desperately to increase their share in the mobile market. I sincerely doubt they'll do anything to disrupt the fans' enjoyment of the game because that's what their profitability depends on.

They might add a lot of cross-pollenation stuff with other properties.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well, shit.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

There's a good bit of merchandising money involved.

Can't blame Notch for taking the cash. That's "fuck you" money right there. Dude can do whatever he wants for the rest of his life.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, from what I understand from Microsoft's side, since they're having difficulty with their own platform, they figure they might as well put their foot into the doors of other mobile platforms. That's a pretty big incentive as they get one of the top-rated apps on those platforms. Instant win for them.

On the customer side of things, I'm really skeptical, but I guess we'll have to see how they handle Minecraft. If they end up pissing off the modding community, that could hurt quite a bit for the long term.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course its great for Notch. Who wrote a silly Java game that just made him a billionaire.

And its probably great news for XBox players, who'll hopefully get all the updates that pc players have enjoyed.

As for us, I'm just not sure what to think other than just wait and see, and be grateful that it wasn't bought by EA.

Translation: "We counted the number of zeroes on the check."

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

No doubt somewhere in the world at this very moment XB1 Minecraft bundles are being run off a conveyor belt and stacked up like minecraft blocks in some warehouse, ready to hit the streets.

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

- bionicpuppy

13. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Except, one famous game is not going to suddenly make their platform attractive.

There's no doubt its going to hurt minecraft in the long term. Microsoft wouldn't intentionally kill the game, but they'll definitely accidentally do it by tacking on things that would be beneficial only for Microsoft.

14. Robert Maxwell

If Microsoft decides to make Mojang adopt the "Microsoft Way," then yeah, that'll kill it good and dead. Mojang apparently has a lovely company culture and MS is certainly inept enough not to recognize it, and just unwittingly stamp it out.

15. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It will be just like Rare all over again.

16. Owain Taggart

Pretty much. I think there's an element of naivity there on their part.

Yeah, which we've seen them do in the past. I think there's a reason for people to feel nervous about this. It wouldn't even have to be something major, but something subtle that ends up eroding something away, like say, the spirit of the game.

Speaking of Notch, he reminds me of the Flappybird developer who panicked and couldn't cope with the popularity of his game and subsequently pulled it.

17. Robert Maxwell

I am not sure how Notch can remind you of someone who behaved in a completely different manner. :p

18. Owain Taggart

Well, maybe not on the pulling, as Notch didn't do that, but based on that letter that was posted by Mojang and the words followed by Notch, he was uncomfortable by the game's success and never meant it to be the success it was. Flappybird's developer shared the same feelings about his game. I dunno, but I'm seeing parallels between the two, but maybe it's just me. :)

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really don't think he minds the success, it's just he doesn't know how to deal with it from a business perspective. He's a programmer, not a businessman. I'd probably do the same, given the chance.

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Everyone who says they wouldn't accept this kind of offer is either lying or delusional.