RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 396
Newest member: DimeRhyme

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old June 8 2014, 02:07 AM   #1
martok2112
Commander

Did anyone here ever play the highly flawed Star Trek Legacy?

It was indeed a highly flawed game. It did not live up to its promise of content, largely on the Xbox 360 version, which was what I had. The PC version at least had mods for some of the promised content which Bethesda/MadDoc overlooked for release.

But it was also fun if you enjoyed starship combat. Controls could get frustrating at times, and starship selection in PvC battles was extremely limited. I used to play a few online rounds with other Xbox 360 players, and we had a pretty good time, but Bethesda/MadDoc really dropped the ball on what should've been a great game.

Before that, Bridge Commander was a really fun game to play, until you ran into the pussy assed hackers that took the fun out of online battles. Bridge Commander had a good realization of the starship command experience.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 08:05 PM   #2
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Did anyone here ever play the highly flawed Star Trek Legacy?

The modded PC version of Legacy was my most favorite of the Star Trek games. I didn't play the Xbox version though so I might have missed your frustration.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 03:54 AM   #3
martok2112
Commander

bbjeg wrote: View Post
The modded PC version of Legacy was my most favorite of the Star Trek games. I didn't play the Xbox version though so I might have missed your frustration.
Ya' didn't miss much.
Old June 11 2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Destructor
Commodore

Yes I played it on 360. It was fine- could have done with some cutscenes (just having the voices coming from the ships was super-lame!) but apart from that it was enjoyable enough to play to the end.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 07:24 AM   #5
billcosby
Commodore

I'm one of the few who can say it's still in my console gaming rotation... under perfect circumstances it would be Bridge Commander I'd be running over my old tower that I mistakenly abandoned on the dusty, hot streets of Osaka many years ago. Great gaming rig, I miss it.
One caveat: I disregard Legacy's exhausting story mode. Only the [hastily assembled] skirmish mode serves my short term gaming needs. I've recently enjoyed some glorious Legacy battles.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 04:19 AM   #6
Destructor
Commodore

Are there still people to play against in MP?

I thought story mode was fine, it's just clear they ran out of money before they could do any cutscenes.
Old June 12 2014, 07:58 AM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The game wasn't great, I quit on the story mode fairly quickly. But I did like that the choice of skirmish ships included my favourite FASA Romulan design and the fan-designed Akayzi-class from Ships of the Star Fleet, volume 2.
Old June 12 2014, 11:12 AM   #8
martok2112
Commander

For all the game's flaws, I still find myself revisiting it quite often. I usually just play the story mode, but when its MP was a bit more popular on Xbox Live, I had a few good rounds.
Old June 12 2014, 06:53 PM   #9
VORTEX8472
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I still play it from time to time on 360, mostly skirmishes for fun; kinda disappointed they didn't develop some cinematic-style bridge scenes in Story mode, they already had all 5 captain voice-overs. Missed opportunity
VORTEX8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 03:43 AM   #10
Destructor
Commodore

Agreed- the highlight of the SP mode is that not only did they have the five voices, they managed to weave an awesome story that played out across the three 'eras'.
Old June 14 2014, 03:54 AM   #11
martok2112
Commander

I do still wish they'd've kept their word and offered up the extra content like the "Wrath of Khan/Mutara Nebula" recreation, and some other interesting historical or sideline tactical simulations.

I liked the across the eras storyline too. Interesting how they tied it all in with Star Trek The Motion Picture.

One of the things I did not like was the very limited nature of the skirmish mode. Especially that you could not choose your enemy's ship. It was all based strictly on the economics in the game, and the computer always chose the most powerful ship it could afford, according to your credit settings.
Old June 16 2014, 01:07 AM   #12
Destructor
Commodore

martok2112 wrote: View Post
I do still wish they'd've kept their word and offered up the extra content like the "Wrath of Khan/Mutara Nebula" recreation, and some other interesting historical or sideline tactical simulations.

I liked the across the eras storyline too. Interesting how they tied it all in with Star Trek The Motion Picture.

One of the things I did not like was the very limited nature of the skirmish mode. Especially that you could not choose your enemy's ship. It was all based strictly on the economics in the game, and the computer always chose the most powerful ship it could afford, according to your credit settings.
Did anyone ever mod it?
Old June 16 2014, 11:48 AM   #13
martok2112
Commander

Destructor wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post

Did anyone ever mod it?
There were some mods made for the PC version.
Alas, I had the Xbox 360 version.

If there is only one justification I have for saying that PC versions of games are better than consoles....it's mods.

Otherwise, I stick to consoles.
Old June 16 2014, 11:37 PM   #14
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

I played it on console, but have never finished the story mode. There was a missing element: fun.

The skirmish mode I enjoyed, especially the map with the blue nebula, just a beautiful map that would be fun for combat, but also warping around.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is online now   Reply With Quote