Seasons 1 & 2.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gojira, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am working my way through all of TNG on DVD (after watching TOS) and I know some complain that the first two seasons are not the best. But I have found that they really are not that bad and do not deserve the bad rap they often get. I have found many episodes that I really enjoy.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I don't think they're terrible...it's just that in Season 3, the show really hits its stride. Season 2 in particular has a lot of good stuff. Season 1 can be pretty spotty.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's really season 1 that's bad. I can only think of a handful of episodes in that season I really like. The worst thing I can say about season 2 is that it's not as good as seasons 3-5, but it did have a lot of gems in it.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I prefer the feel of the early seasons to the later ones, if not the individual stories.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel the same way, particularly in the furnishings of the ship, alot of which dissapered after season 2, and the music, which was much more "melodic" than later on.

And, to be honest, alot of the episodes weren't THAT bad.

I still wish that we hadn't lost Tasha Yar, despite what that did for Worf. And, I'm still glad we lost Pulaski and got Crusher back though.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Season 1 and 2 have some good episodes here and there, especially season 2. And although I think the later seasons were much better, I liked how in seasons 1-2 they stuck to the 'One ship alone exploring deep space' theme of the original.

The problem with season 1 was they basically had really stupid premises, they were overly committed to making Wesley the wonderkid, and they had a really one dimensional approach to characterization in general, making all the aliens seem like idiots and most of the cast seem ancillary.

(And the set designers liked dry ice way too much).

They were basically still trying to be TOS only had no idea what worked about TOS.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I consider seasons one and two of TNG the best of all Modern Trek (1987-2005).

8. Gojira

As a big fan of TOS season 1 does really feel like TOS in many ways. I noticed that most in the set of the planets they visited.

9. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm rewatching them as well and I was surprised that season 1 and 2 weren't as bad as I remembered them, particularly season 2. Now they had their share of stinkers, but for the most part, the seasons were pretty good.

10. JirinPanthosa

When I watch seasons 1 and 2 I enjoy them, but that's because I know which episodes to skip.

I don't have to sit through Naked Now, Code of Honor, Haven, Lonely Among Us, We'll Always Have Paris, Justice...

11. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But We'll Always Have Paris is one of the best s1 eps :eek: I like that one.

12. BillJ

I like all of those except Code of Honor. :shrug:

13. Gojira

Code of Honor is like a bad TOS episode. Oh, and I do like the episode "Justice." It is strange but I do like it.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know this is such a minor thing, but I wonder if the crew had the Season 3 and beyond uniforms in Seasons 1 and 2, if those seasons would have been better. There are some classic episodes in both those seasons, worthy to be called some of the best that TNG had to offer.

15. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I've been working through seasons one and two here recently myself - while season one has some major clunkers, season two for the most part is really quite good. While I like Diana Muldaur's Pulaski, I do find myself missing Beverly.

One of the biggest things that stands out in seasons one and two as well to me is the lighting. I think they used a lot more amber gels, IIRC.

16. JirinPanthosa

I've never seen so much support for the S1 episodes where Wesley is smarter than everybody and everybody who isn't a Starfleet officer has cultural beliefs that lead to arbitrarily killing people.

It's true, We'll Always Have Paris doesn't belong on that list. Not like...Angel One, When The Bough Breaks, Too Short A Season.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The one that sticks out to me as a least favorite episode in these seasons is "The Icarus Factor"...pure soap opera, not just the story content, but the execution as well. Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Stardates of Our Lives....

"Too Short a Season" would also be on my list of 5 least favorite TNG episodes from all seasons.

OTOH, if I were making a list of top 10 TNG episodes, "The Measure of a Man" might be the earliest one on the list chronologically.

18. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

I really think that is somewhat part of it, or at least for me. I was 17 when TNG premiered and watched half of the premiere and turned it off (captain is too old, no vulcans, WTF is up with the skirts on dudes). Later in college, I started watching season 3 and fell in love. I watched all of S1 and S2 on reruns and found the outfits and production a little jarring.

I've recently rewatched the entire series and was pleasantly surprised how the first 2 seasons really weren't as bad as I remembered.

19. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have long been a huge supporter of season 2 here on the forums. I feel it is often bundled in with the not-as-good season 1 (but even in that season I find a lot to like).

Season 2 had many gems and not just "Q Who" and "Measure of a Man".
    I love "A Matter of Honour", "Peak Performance", "Time Squared", "Contagion", "Elementary Dear Data"...

Yes, I agree. Though season 3 onward are clearly very well produced, there was some feeling of "not trying as hard" when I watch them. Hard to describe. Almost as if they knew the show was a hit so took the foot off the pedal a bit. Maybe not. Maybe they just hit a stride.

But I like the feel in season 1 and 2 where it's still a show trying REALLY hard.

I think I agree, though "A Matter of Honour" comes very close to me. Remember when I first saw this one - absolutely loved it!

20. BillJ

There is something about the way they lit the later seasons that gave the sets a very cheap feel even though everyone knows they spent a ton of money on them.