The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Done!

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Seeing these makes me really sad that the original VFX work wasn't available for TOS.

3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks Maxwell Everett!

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Yup, same here. Can you imagine how much nicer the original TOS work could have looked after being passed through modern compositing software? Would look modern, but it would have looked amazing I'm sure as the lighting could have been tweaked.

Maybe not this good, but closer to this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/Warped9/TOS-EN4.jpg

5. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I still wonder why there is no improvement/extension (besides Japanese) in language options on the European blu-ray edition . They did not even put some additional subtitles on it although this would be cheap and use up very little space. I am very disappointed that they didn't even add Portuguese and Russian. :rolleyes: I'll pass.

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very cool. Thanks!

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Same here.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Shame they couldn't have at least reshot the FX with the actual original Enterprise model. Which is sitting right there at the Smithsonian.

I realize it would have been costly and impractical to do (you'd have to restore the original paintjob, and who knows if the model can withstand filming anymore), but it would have been awesome to see anyway.

9. Mike Okuda

Mike Okuda Commander Red Shirt

TheSeeker: In fact, the Star Trek: TOS Blu-ray disks use seamless branching to give you the choice of seeing the episodes with the original visual effects or the remastered versions. For TOS, it would not have been possible to recomposite the original effects because the original film elements no longer exist.

That's the difference with TNG: Paramount carefully archived virtually all of the original film. This is what makes it possible for CBS to reconstruct the original edits in HD, and to recomposite the visual effects using original film elements.

10. Savage Dragon

Thanks Mike. I guess I wasn't very clear but I realize that's why we didn't get a remastered version of the original FX. It's too bad no one thought that far ahead back then.

And thanks for all the updates you've been giving us on TNG-R. They've been great!

11. Sho

Aye Mike, that's what he meant: He was wishing the original negatives of the VFX shoots for TOS were still around, so you could have re-composited them using modern technology just as you're doing for TNG.

That TNG was archived so fantastically well came as a big surprise to many of us. Even to yourself I think; I remember reading an interview were you speculated on the difficulty of remastering TNG saying that rotoscoping the actors in front of the main viewscreen on the bridge to insert new VFX would be awfully labor-intensive :).

I just always fear that it's going to turn out there's an entire episode missing, or that archiving standards weren't quite as good on DS9 or something like that ... that's going to cause me to worry for years to come now.

12. Mike Okuda

Mike Okuda Commander Red Shirt

Seeker and Sho: OK, sorry I misunderstood. Yes, we would have liked that, too. Back when the original series was made, the show was so cutting edge and the pressure of deadlines was so tight that it's not surprising that no one had time to do anything that didn't relate directly to the immediate delivery of that week's episode.

Yes, finding the various film elements for TNG is an ongoing adventure, and we're always biting our nails. Our film coordinator, Sarah Paul, along with Kiki Morris, has been doing an amazing job of finding nearly everything, thanks in no small part to the excellent archive work by Paramount, but also because of Sarah's and Kiki's sheer determination. Fortunately, even in those rare circumstances that film elements can't be found, CBS has been able to come up with excellent work-arounds.

13. Sho

I guess there's a lot of to boldly go where no one has gone before with this project :).

14. Savage Dragon

Well on behalf of all the TNG fans here let me thank both Sarah and Kiki for their dedication. Please let them know we appreciate it tremendously!

15. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Sorry if this has been asked already Mike, but the negatives are scanned at 4K correct? After being scanned, are the episodes constructed at 4K and then compressed down to 1080p? I'm just wondering if the 'finished' episodes are future proofed for tomorrow's tech. Would be a shame to do all of this work only to have to redo it in a few years if the tech improves vastly enough to warrant it.

16. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Looks like they took notice of the credit fonts and realized they could do better.

Just to make sure did they update the credits in Encounter at Farpoint too?

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Highdef digest just put up a review

The 7.1 sound mix
    Their reviews are always comprehensive.
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5230/startrek_tng_s1.html

18. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I was hoping they would mention this in the ENERGIZED! doc on disc 1, but they didn't specifically say. But it looked like they were using a modern 4K/2K Spirit DataCine scanner (just as in the early teaser trailer)... so, coupled with Robert Meyer Burnett's statement on Twitter that the episodes are being mastered in 2K, that implies that the negatives were oversampled at 4K and then down-converted on the fly to 2K and outputted to raw digital files or HDCAM SR tape.

Mr. Okuda would know the specific answer, of course... hopefully he'll let us know!

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about this than the new Nolan Batman movie that comes out tomorrow?

20. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, Farpoint remains exactly the same as the sampler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.