DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Not to mention atrocious dialogue and the characters being caricatures of themselves...but we've brought all this up before many times in the thread. I'm mainly sticking with it because i kind of want to see how this origin arc concludes and the jump forward to the present with the second arc. I'll probably make my final decision after the second issue of the second arc...I'm patient, but not that patient.

Also it was "Superman" that I dropped after last month finally. Not reading it until Griffin and Jurgens are aboard.

Justice League #5: Well...yeah. Still have the same problems with this book that I have had since the first issue, I would say this is maybe the best issue so far. I enjoyed the discussion betweenn Bruce and Hal. Bruce would never unmask in the freaking middle of a major battle though under any reason! Even against aliens. WTF? I understand he was attempting to level with Jordan but seriously unmasking? I don't care that there wasn't anyone in the immediate area, Bruce would never take that chance under any circumstances. I don't know if this was done for "shock" value, or because it hasn't really been done for, but I don't get Johns reason for doing so except for trying to reach through ass hole dumb ass Hal. Darkseid is immensely powerful. I think this might be his most powerful incarnation yet. The art is fantastic as usual. Otherwise yeah...same old as usual.

Aquaman #5: Arthur is lost in the desert. That whole sequence reminded me of Luke on Hoth and Obi-Wan's force ghost. The holographic Atlantean message reminded me of Action Comics when Clark finally sees the message of Jor-El. Sigh. This has to be the weakest issue of the book so far. It is starting the Who Sunk Atlantis arc though.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Darkseid was always insanely powerful. If anything he was weak here because he just stood there standing around while the heroes were attacking him and arguing about what to do about him.

And I feel that Aquaman also suffers from endless splash pages resulting in a teeny tiny story. Can't we find a balance between the dialogue-thick Superman and the dialogue/panel-free JL/Aquaman? :p

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I worked a 13hr day yesterday and didn't get to my LCS.
    Looking through reminds me to get Aquaman #5 though.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I got my books, haven't read them yet.

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed the book at times; I like the brashness of the characters, which I don't see as caricature necessarily. But the price is too steep and it's clear to me that I'll enjoy the arc more all at once.

Batwoman is similar for me: I love the book, it's fantastic. But Comixology on my little laptop can't do it justice, and I'm nowhere near a LCS.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but when I read that all I could think of was this. (Warning: Minor spoilers for Batman: Arkham City)

7. Admiral_Young

8. Trekker4747

Superman #5: Pretty good, really. I still think the over-narrating is bogging this book down but overall this issue wasn't too bad.

Aquaman #5: Really good book, the Aquaman run has been really nice and impressive, the art in this book is great too. I liked how this book was intercut between the "present" (with AC stuck in a desert) and the "past" with the events leading up to him being in the desert. This book needs more Mera, though. :) I read this book before taking a nap and ended up having a dream about her. What can I say? I have a thing for a chesty, lusty, red-heads.

The Flash #5: This book I'm starting to enjoy more and more and the artwork in continues to really impress.

The Dark Knight #5: This has been one of my more least favorite of the Batman books but this book with The Scarecrow wasn't too bad. I do want to quibble that the bulk of the book has Batman laying some powerful punches onto Superman which, sorry, no. It almost reads like complete and total fanwank (in one page Superman is apparently punched by Batman and tossed several feet away. Not to start a whole Batman v Superman thing here but it just doesn't fit at all. The book shows Superman actually taking punches from Batman and showing pain from them or at least being knocked for a loop for them. Unless this turns out to be an illusion created by Scarecrow's toxin, this idea is just pure Batman Fanwanking and nothing else. If Superman took a punch from Batman he wouldn't be thrown several feet he would hardly notice it and laugh while Batman nurses a shattered hand.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^^

You realize that Scarecrow injected Batman with same steroid cocktail he gave all the other villains in the preceeding issues making him super-strong, right? I did think it was odd that they didn't exaggerate his musculature as much as they did with the baddies.

10. Trekker4747

Yeah, I thought about that but then there was the issue of them not rendering him visually bulked up and he was still fighting Superman.

11. Admiral_Young

Trekker I don't know weather to admire your patience or to pity you with Dark Knight! Yeah Finch really wanted his book to be different and more "grittier" than the other Bat-Family books. This was his intention prior to the relaunch. Unfortunately while his art is kick ass mostly, his writing and plotting is crap (worse than Daniel in my opinion) and from what I continue to hear is that Jenkins has not been any better. It's clearly the worse of the Bat-Family books followed by Detective Comics.

Scott Snyder talks even more about Night of Owls. I really like that Bruce Wayne cowless art. I know it's been shown in every other article associated with this story but I think it looks awesome. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but it would appear that Bruce is getting an updated costume tweak for this crossover.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sco...&utm_campaign=seo+blitz&utm_content=Newsarama

12. Trekker4747

The Dark Knight book is the one I am most on the fence about, I can go either way on it, frankly. I'm very close to dropping Detective and B&R, though. As far as I'm concerned "Batman" is the best of Batman's titles.

13. Admiral_Young

^ I agree about "Batman" and I'm pumped for "Batman Incorporated'. Morrison's grand finale and the war against Talia is going to be epic!

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Court of Owls does sound interesting but I dont' want to get my hopes up. A few let downs of late in DC has me cautious. Besides I'm going to wait for the trade so the earliest I'll read it will be 3rd Q this year most likely.

15. Admiral_Young

The event is actually called The Night of Owls which of course deals with the Court of Owls. It's Scott Synder who hasn't disappointed yet. I can't speak for the rest of the Bat-Family books but this will be focused in "Batman" and spread out to the rest.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Still won't buy Detective or Dark Knight.

17. Admiral_Young

Same. I'm sticking with "Batman" and "Batman and Robin".

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked up the new Justice League and issues 2-5 of All Star Western on my way home from work last night.

19. Admiral_Young

I'd be interested in reading what you thought of the unmasking incident I mentioned from my review of Justice League. Kind of surprised that no one else has brought it up...maybe no one else has read JL yet.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I'm several issues behind.