Casting J.J. Abrams' Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shaka Zulu, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yes they are re-imagined versions of the Phase II characters. And Phase II is a re-imagined version of TOS. Both Decker and Riker are young action hero Kirk. While Picard and Phase II Kirk are intellectual older Kirk. Data is Spock's "knows it all" mystified by humans aspect. Troi and Worf represent his human/alien aspect. Troi also had the "mind power" aspect. Worf has the ":rolleyes: humans" thing, too. Crusher is the old friend and confidant part of McCoy. Pulaski was McCoy in drag.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gotta admit, I'm drawn to the ideas of Wil Wheaton as Riker and Dulé Hill as Geordi. :techman:

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the "intellectual" part that needed a new character. Kirk was always wily, but selling him as aging into a worldly, seasoned scholar with a cautious command style was never going to work. 'Specially not with Shatner playing him. The character was someone other than Kirk.

Heh, I think we're rather reaching when we reach the point of claiming that four different characters are some form of Spock analogue. ;) I admire the ingenuity but I can't go there with you.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They are aspects of Kirk and Spock, not Kirk and Spock in total. Of course the TNG characters developed into their own characters.

Early Kirk ( and Pike before him) was much more intellectual than what he would become. I can see that Kirk growing into a Picard type.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pike --> Picard? :)

6. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Great choices. I can see Wil Wheaton as Riker, he even has the Riker beard in that photo above.