No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BillJ, Jul 21, 2015.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Wow, this feels like the first actual Star Trek game even though it has nothing to do with the Star Trek universe. Open ended exploration for the win! Coming later this year for PS4 and PC.

18 minutes of gameplay...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcjvIQJns0[/yt]

Definite day one purchase here.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Been following it for a while. Looks fun, but I have concerns:

* Will there be filters on what people can name things? Otherwise, welcome to planet Dickfizzle, home of the Cockworms!
    * What does the actual gameplay consist of? What's the focus? Exploring? Crafting? Combat? Seems to be exploring, but "land on planet, go check out markers, get money/resources, go to next planet" seems like a very grindy, repetitive gameplay approach.
    * What's the typical travel time between planets? Elite: Dangerous fucked me off with its highly variable travel times. When I spend 95% of my game just flying from one place to another, I'm not having fun, dammit.

Anyway, the game looks very pretty, and I am hopeful it turns out well. If each planet really is a (relatively) full-sized world, with a lot of variety on each one in terms of life forms and geography, then I hope there's also enough to do on any one planet to keep you busy for a while.

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about this game. Will also likely be a Day One purchase for me as well. Exploration, trading, combat...hell yeah!

Now, do not mistake this game for a typical MMO game. The devs have said that this is not the kind of game where you get two or three of your buddies, team up, and explore the universe together. This is supposed to be individual exploration. Yes, you can run into other players, but it is supposed to also be very unlikely that you and your friends will actually link up. You might see them, but they will be so far away in the universe that it would be impractical to link up.

Notice how your ship, in the demo, looks almost like a Z-95 Headhunter from Star Wars lore? (for those not in the know, the Incom Z-95 Headhunter was the forerunner to the Incom T-65 X-wing starfighter) :)

4. Robert Maxwell

You're right, it's not an MMO. It can best be described as "mingleplayer," similar to Journey (which the devs have mentioned.)

5. BillJ

I think they mention filters in one of the gameplay sessions.

Yeah, I've thought about that as well. But it'll definitely hold my interest for a while if the actual game is everything it is being promoted as.

A good question and one I haven't seen answered yet.

Definitely what I am hoping for! :techman:

6. martok2112

Something tells me that some will play this game with the attitude of:
    "See the universe. Travel to interesting, exotic places. Make contact with many wonderful creatures... and kill them." :D

From what I've seen, it looks like the exploration will basically boil down to discovery and cataloging. Although I think they did mention that diplomacy has a part to play in this game as well.

BTW, for those who might not be in the know:
    This is a Z-95 Headhunter. Compare the look of this to the ship we seem to use so far.

[​IMG]

7. Robert Maxwell

There are police bots that will take notice if you go nuts about killing wildlife, though, so I guess you have to be careful about that.

8. BillJ

I wonder if Earth is out there somewhere to find?

9. BillJ

Newest trailer...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcumrtWzDk[/yt]

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe it's just the way the guy is talking, but I am having a really hard time getting excited about this. He's not exactly full of energy.

11. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKDUGtOYYaY[/yt]
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTfROSvF9bA[/yt]
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsM-Szopt6U[/yt]

12. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After Elite Dangerous I'm going to be very cautious with this. I'll probably give it a good 6 months before I even consider purchasing it.

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Quite a few people will be inevitably disappointed by this game because they're projecting whatever they want out of that game onto it.

Similar situation with Star Citizen.

14. Robert Maxwell

In the case of Star Citizen, players aren't so much projecting as Chris Roberts is promising them all kinds of crazy stuff that he probably can't deliver.

15. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

My PC sucks and I have no plans to purchase a PS4. So this looks like yet another awesomely outstanding game-of-my-dreams that I will most likely never ever get to play.:scream:

16. BillJ

PS4 here. I have a PC that can run it (wife loves PC gaming), but I like playing games on a console much more than a PC.

17. martok2112

Ya' oughtta get a PS4, so you can play it if you do want it. :)

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Oh, they're projecting plenty, although you are right, his promises make it even worse.

The end result is the same.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The thing with Star Citizen and its endless delays is that anyone could have seen it coming after taking a look at Roberts' track record. WC1 would never have been released if it weren't for guys like Warren Spector keeping the project on track and Steve Beeman actually writing the code; Chris Roberts' name is on WC2 but he had almost nothing to do with it because he was busy trying to make Strike Commander (so Steve Beeman ran WC2, and eventually Erin Roberts had to help out with finishing Strike Commander because it had gone completely off the rails and wound up being released like three years late) and with WC3/4 it was patently obvious that he was more interested in making movies than games. Privateer 1 was completely driven by Erin Roberts with little to no involvement from Chris, and Freelancer suffered from such massive scope creep that Digital Anvil ran out of money and had to sell out to Microsoft to keep the doors open.

20. Robert Maxwell

I wish this forum had a "like" feature because I didn't know any of that! Sounds like Roberts is fine as a creative lead but you should never let him control the scope or the money. Which surely bodes well for SC, where he controls all of that!

On-topic: in NMS' favor, it seems like Hello Games has a pretty good sense of their scope and what they can accomplish with the time and resources they have, even if they haven't shared every detail.

Shawnster likes this.