STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Their first projection was right on the nose.

RAMA

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can't seriously still believe that Star Trek is something "special" in the entertainment industry? :lol:

Whenever Star Wars opens, three other big would-be blockbuster movies will open in the same month. Some will succeed, some won't. Star Trek is just one of those.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I was just going to comment about the possibility of the next Star Wars movie not actually being any good - thereby lessening its box office dominance. But then I remembered The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones.

4. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not just one of those side stories - the first of those side stories. So its an almost untested area. Depending on how they film there might even be a trailer with Episode VII

It would make sense for Trek to make the most of it's 50th Anniversary year, the actual date is in August.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

September. September 8,1966 is when it premiered here in the States. :techman:

But September is usually a poor month for films. So they either go May, July or December.

6. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

A Christmas 2015 opening would be a good way to kick off the anniversary year, plus we wouldn't have to wait quite so long.

7. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ah right I saw 09/08/1966 and forgot you write dates the wrong way round ;)

UK didn't get it till summer 1969.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

September isn't a good box office month.

9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Okay, lets go with the German TV-premier of Star Trek: May 27, 1972 :)

10. Admiral Buzzkill

It looks like the earlier in May, the better.

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Pfft... I'm only interested in the 50th Anniversary of The Cage. ;)

12. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agree. If new SW is coming out in may 2016. it would great stratagy for paramount using all the hype that follows JJAbrams Star Wars movie and realase Star Trek 3 in early December.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

December's good for Oscar bait and Harry Potter. Spring/Summer it is - almost certainly May.

And STID heads into this weekend with a domestic take of $188,440,439. It will probably end the weekend a million or so shy of the 200 million dollar mark, but looks pretty strong for winding up with 230 million domestic or a little better by the end of its run.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

For whatever it's worth STID is $8 million behind it's predecessor at the same point in release (just before the 4th weekend), $188.4M vs $196.7M. ST09 went on to make 60 million more the rest of the way, so 230 million for STID may be achievable.

STID is losing 433 theaters this weekend but still is in over 3100 theaters.

15. Belz...

Also bear in mind that the difference in gross for the same number of days is because the opening day for STID was unplanned and only with about 300 theatres.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The limited release from the night before the full opening day doesn't count as one of the days in release. It's rolled into the following opening day. That's the case for both Star Trek and STiD. Box Office Mojo is comparing the same number of full days in release between the two.

17. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that comparison based on number of days in release is kind of silly in this case. That's why the boxoffice numbers I listed is not based on that. These are numbers each movie had done before the start of the 4th weekend in release (before the 4th Friday in release).

18. Belz...

Ok, I was refering to BoxOfficeMojo's comparisons, then. After 18 days, it claimed it only made 181 million, which looking at the daily grosses means they keep the first day apart from the second.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It had made $181 million after 18 full days in release. The $2 million from Wednesday night isn't counted as a separate day in release. It's rolled into the Thursday opening day. Thursday the 16th May to Sunday the 2nd June is 18 days in release.

Likewise, the $4 million Star Trek made from its Thursday night sneaks aren't counted as a day in release for the comparison purposes. It's rolled into the Friday opening day. Star Trek's first 18 days in release are from Friday the 8th May 2009 to Monday the 25th May 2009. The different release pattern will inevitably skew the comparison.

Box Office Mojo lists the Wednesday and Thursday night sneaks respectively on the dailly numbers page for the two films, but for the purposes of comparing them after X number of days in release neither of those count as a day in release.

20. Belz...

I stand corrected.