Eurovision Song Contest 2011 (Düsseldorf, Germany)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JRS, May 1, 2011.

1. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, it is soon that time of the year again:bolian::cool:...Eurovision!:rommie:

[​IMG]

Because Germany won last year, they contest will be naturally held in Dussedorf, Germany on 10th( first semi), 12th(second semi) and 14th of May( the grande finale):)

We will certainly see a big show from the Germans!:techman:

Here the playlits to all the songs of this years competition, from the official ESC youtube channel:

1st Semi-Final:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/eurovision#grid/user/BD85E817019E6B76

2nd Semi-Final:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/eurovision#grid/user/2B7EE0834CBEE94D

Songs already in the Final:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/eurovision#g/c/FDAC34205AD9D974

This years overall quality is around 3/5, though there is some nice gems of 5/5 there also:bolian:..and like every year some really horrible stinkers:lol::wtf:

My personal favorites are: Norway, Hungary, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Belarus, Slovenia..and few others.
    (Belarus is "guilty pleasure" to many:D)
    If it would be up to me Hungary would win the whole contest this year, it is the best song, IMHO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy_oB_FYd7s

I have a feeling that this year there will more tighter competition of the winner. Most likely 3-5 songs will have a big fight of who will be the ultimate winner.
    Though its difficult to predict how the juries and the general public will vote;)

Listen the songs:techman:
    What is your personal Top 5?
    Who will get to the final..and who does not?
    Who do you think will win:)?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'll make sure I have plans for the 14th, to avoid this so called music contest. Really its almost a joke, it was only saved from farce by a slight change oin the voting system last year(?). And besides it's not the same now that Wogan isn't providing commentary.

3. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Well, from the few I've listened to, it seems the quality of the contest is so much higher than last year. Last year, I only enjoyed Greece and Azerbaijan. Even Lena was quite boring for me.

My top 5... From what I've listened to... Sweden, Azerbaijan, Hungary, Belarus, and the UK.
    (Yes, I'm biased, but it's actually an amazing song this time, by someone who's had a hit before in the UK. The past few years, we've only sent some nobody with a mediocre song nobody knows, and then we're surprised when we come last.
    I Can has just been released in the UK, and it's already in the top 20 on Itunes. I think we could get top 5... hopefully)

Agreed on Hungary and Belarus. The latter screams guilty pleasure (like Greece was last year), and Hungary is brilliant from one listen, and so is Azerbaijan. The Azerbaijani keep making good songs.

Sweden's also quite popular, :rofl:. I think they could be a bit of a dark horse.

Russia, Azerbaijan, Sweden, Hungary, and Georgia should get to the final. I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland doesn't make it. I mean... Jedward? :wtf:

As for who'll win, I couldn't call. I'd love the UK to win (It's been too long), but I don't see any of the other big 5's getting close. Lena won once, I don't think she'll repeat the feat. Hopefully Hungary or Sweden will win.

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the behalf of the people of Ireland, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for our entry and I completely understand any desire for genocide that it may bring against our ethnicity.

5. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I would listen to the songs, but I prefer to be shocked and awed on the night. :D

The night being the night after, as we have to wait 12 hours in Oz. :(

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So we won't get votes like, Greece giving Cyprus 12 and vice versa?

7. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As with Australis I prefer to wait to see them perform it live at the show and judge them then.

8. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Well, I'm giving this a bump, as it's the first semi starting in an hour. You know, in case anyone's interested in the likes of Macedonia and Malta's dire entries.

Unfortunately, it clashes with the Apprentice, and my favourite songs are in the latter half, so Hungary and Azerbaijan had better get through. (I'd be massively surprised if they didn't)

Re: waiting until the contest to hear the songs, songs are rarely good for me on first listen, so I'll enjoy the contest a lot more with songs I know playing.

9. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Second place would be nice. I don't want to win, that means we have to host the bloody thing, and as well as being a waste of money, we'd insist on making it good which would just ruin it.

ETA: Just watched Germany's entry.

I'll be in my bunk.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I decided to watch the Apprentice

11. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

^I watched the Apprentice too. I only turned on the semi in the lead up.

Anyway, 1st semi over.

Through are:

Serbia :)
    Lithuania
    Greece
    Azerbaijan :adore:
    Georgia
    Hungary
    Switzerland
    Finland
    Russia - :)
    Iceland (why? :wtf:)

Norway and Turkey shockingly didn't go through. Especially Norway, they were brilliant.

Oh well, on to the next semi.

12. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am in Germany on Saturday visiting my girlfriend but we are out..... however she is recording the whole dam thing. Last years winner (who is also again representing Germany this year) has not done a lot since winning. Her tour has been such a big flop that a company had buy a lot of the tickets and give them away and the venues still were not full.
    I thought the Finland song sounded OK for Eurovision but the singer seemed a bit of a tool.

13. JRS

The 1st Semi was not bad at all, though I have to say that there was many songs that where not my personal favorites.
    Some very big surprises:eek: in the end results.
    Turkey and Armenia where out from the final. Surprising, but I think it will do good for both to sit on the sidelines for a moment.
    (Turkey performed well, but Armenias vocals where quite bad)
    I was very sad that Norway did not make it to the final:borg:

Here is short review of the songs that made it to the Grand Finale:

Serbia: One of my favorites.
    Very positive song, with lots of nice 1960s retro vibes.
    Nina performed well and her vocals where great.
    Lithuania: This going to the finale surprised many. It was joked that her cleavage was the reason, but while I agree that the she has nice..eh..curves:alienblush:, IMHO it was her nice vocals and beautiful overall performance that got this to the final.
    Greece: I dont like this so much, the rap-parts are bad..but at least it sounded Greek enough.
    Azerbaijan: One of the favorites for winning, this one. I am not sure what to think about this one, its a fine pop-song but it is also somewhat cheesy.:confused:
    Georgia: This was the another rock-song in the semi and it seems people like this more than Turkeys.
    Hungary: Second of my favorites. One of the best songs in the contest:) and the performance was very good. This is one of the favorites for winning the whole contest.
    Switzerland: Nice song with sweet performer.
    Finland: I am from Finland, so naturally happy that this made it to the final,:lol: not without merit however. Strong vocals, nice song with a message.
    Russia : Meh:rolleyes:...I have to say that I do notreally like this one..and I find the singer somehow annoying. Will compete with Sweden from points.
    Iceland: More and more ppl seem to like this, for me it is way too dull. I agree it is well performed..but thats about it.

The stage looked great from TV:cool:..and the audience gave applause to everyone, more to some naturally.
    The German hosts where quite bad..with stupid jokes.
    Is it soooo difficult to find some good hosts for ESC,
    I mean in the USA they usually have good ones in the Oscars and other galas..why cant we have some good ones on ESC:scream:
    I am not saying that there cant be humour, if its good.

The second semi final will be tomorrow, on the 12th:bolian:
    Very difficult to say who will go to finals, especially after yesterday:confused:
    Here is still a list of all the songs of the 2nd semi with my short reviews with numbers (from the scale 1-5), my personal favorites in bold:)( based mostly on music videos, naturally):

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It wouldn't be Eurovision without bad jokes and hosts. Prior to the recent vote change from all tele-vote to a split jury/televote system. Eurovision had become a joke in many of the Western European Nations. With what was considered bloc voting.

15. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Lena is annoying, she is not talented, she can't perform. She was marketable and kinda cute for a short time last year and that's it. I haven't met anyone here in Germany who actually likes her, everyone is annoyed and thinks she will embarass herself.

16. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Second semi over now. Thankfully Sweden got through, although they left him till last, so I was getting a tiny bit tense.

Qualifiers:
    Sweden :adore:
    Austria
    Slovenia
    Romania
    Estonia
    Bosnia - Herzegovina
    Austria
    Ukraine
    Denmark
    Ireland
    Moldova :wtf:

Seriously. Moldova were terrible. The only good thing Moldova has ever produced with regards to music is O-Zone. They were even worse than Jedward (who also got through). At the expense of Slovakia and Belarus. :klingon:

Interesting final now, most of my favourites are through, but poor brave Norway, Armenia, Slovakia and Belarus, who now must rest in peace.

Couldn't pick a winner, but if any of UK, Azerbaijan, Hungary or Sweden win, I will be so happy. France are boring.

17. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. Well, I watched the videos of the performers that are already in the finals.

I lol'd at the British boy band. Couldn't take them seriously. The French and Italian guys were okay. The German woman's video was interesting, but I wouldn't call that singing.

I rather liked the Spanish woman--a cheerful little song. And the Hungarian woman was quite the diva.

Oh, and I can see why people are describing the Belarus entry as a guilty pleasure. :lol:

18. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 1st semi final just started here on free-to-air. Only up to Norway so far.

I have already watched part of Lena's entry for Germany but that's the only one I've seen in advance.

Edit: Was that Vince Noir DJing for Croatia? ;)

Edit2: I was surprised when Norway didn't make it through but when I thought about it I guess it wasn't a surprise a song with such heavy African music influences didn't go through in an European music contest, but I'd have it in my top ten from SF1.

Waiting to see SF2 before I put in my "winner".

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  19. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Just watched it here too.

Russia had backing dancers with ADHD. Poland was a case of style over substance... actually, bums over song. I like a rock song, me, so was surprised that Turkey didn't go through. Armenia: good singer, not good song. Only someone with a heart of stone wouldn't vote for Iceland. Wow, the Finland song, could that be any further from Lordi? That Azerbaijan were givin' me the fear. The vocalist girl from Georgia, she seemed to be channelling Amy Winehouse but in control and singing at the top of her game. Hungary had to go through, it was such a EV song.

Looking forward to tomorrow, will be playing a drinking game, and trying not to be comatose halfway through. :)

20. JRS

I was shocked for Moldova going to the final:eek: They had lots of show, yes..but the song is simply horrible:scream:
    I was very happy that Ukraine passed(good singer and lyrics)
    and also Slovenia:bolian::)
    I was very unhappy that Bulgaria did not make it,
    they had such a good show, song..and performed well:borg::vulcan:

The Final will be very interesting and exciting final..or at least I hope so.
    I think we will see some surprises also:techman:
    I think the overall song quality might be even better than last years finale..(though I dont remember that so well)
    It is almost comical, that all the favorites for winning the whole contest are among the first ten songs performing:lol::)

I would be perfectly happy if Hungary would win, its a good song and perfectly well performed live.
    It lacks the tons of show of Sweden, but is better in overall accounts.
    France is good vocally ..and has a nice song.
    But the Opera-style might turn to be disadvantage.

I honestly dont know who will win:) It could be a suprise winner, a black horse that nobody really guessed winning.
    Must wait and see!

My personal favorites in the finale are: Hungary, Slovenia, Ukraine, Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina:)

Other good ones: Spain, France, Austria and Finland