XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by infinix, Feb 3, 2012.

1. infinix

infinix Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I absolutely LOVED the original game and I can't wait for the new one.

2. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm pretty pumped for both of the new XCOM games to come out. Can't wait to see what Firaxis does with the strategy one!

3. BRG

BRG Commander Red Shirt

I had Terror from the Deep(on the PS1 I think) and I loved that game.:techman: I did not know they were updating them, so I look forward to seeing them!

BRG

4. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

Completely pumped until I saw the coming to consoles bit, now I'm just cautiously optimistic.

5. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I've never played the original but the footage that's been released so far makes the new one look interesting.

That said, the reaction of the video game critic Spoony to this game is classic overreaction.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_Ca45JRFs[/yt]

6. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was for the FPS, not the Firaxis game.

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Seeing this is the reason why women tend to raise an eyebrow and make a wide circle around gamers.. what an idiot :rolleyes:

8. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

He's purposefully overreacting because the character he plays is an ubernerd game reviewer. And the game he's reacting to does look retarded enough to warrant a cry of outrage. The strategy game coming out this Fall, on the other hand, looks friggin' awesome! I can't wait. I never played the original, but I've seen let's plays and reviews of it and it looks like it was a pretty sweet game.

9. FPAlpha

Oh it was.. i owned that game back then when, as a young schoolkid, games were usually "aquired" on school grounds by swapping 3,5'' disks and a "get it back tomorrow" ;)

I played it to death, reloaded so many saves to get out of critical situations and was so proud when i finally researched the last version of the body armor.. ah, good times!

I don't know if it was unique for its time as was Dune 2 which started the whole RTS genre (another game i played religiously) but it had so many cool elements and the graphics were top for its time.

I played every iteration of it since then and most were ok but it never captured the magic of the first one.. i'm not expecting that out of the new one but i love going back to the franchise every once in a while and this game is definitely on my list.

10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something deep within me has stirred ... Firaxis had best not bungle this; no later version has yet rivalled the gaming pinnacle reached by the original running on my old Amiga.

11. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

There is a demo out on Steam.
    2 missions.
    After playing it i pre-ordered it...

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately the game requires Vista or W7. I'm still on XP so I'll have to wait for the PS3 demo to show up. Looks great though. Very faithful to the original.

13. bullethead

I have to say this: whoever greenlit the Steam/console demo is a moron for only giving you two missions and no real ant farm interaction. Given how Firaxis seems to have given anyone who claims to be a game reviewer (even if they just have a YouTube account) access to the press demo, I don't see why they wouldn't give the public the same thing. When Deus Ex: Human Revolution's press demo leaked, that built up a lot of positive buzz among gamers.

14. FPAlpha

Yeah.. i was a bit disappointed that there was no base building/research part bit.. the demo is a few GB big so they should have added that important part of the game and maybe excluded cut scenes and such which are only important for the full game anyways.

No matter.. i'm definitely looking forward to this one and it comes at a perfect time.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I played the demo yesterday. Damn that was fun. I probably shouldn't buy another game right now because I don't have a lot of money or free time, but I'm definitely weighing my options. I absolutely recommend everyone checking out the demo.

As for the limits, I think that's why it's a demo. They don't want you to start thinking of it as a replacement for the game itself. And, while they could have cut out the cut scenes, the last cut scene was the perfect teaser for "buy this game."

16. bullethead

The problem with the demo was that it wasn't even all of the tutorial stuff - there are 2 more tutorial missions in the final game, so it's not like there wasn't a bit more material they could use.

I'm starting to get really pissed with Amazon. Both my copy of XCOM and a Blu-Ray have been stuck in Shipping Soon hell, which is particularly infuriating because the blu-ray is supposed to be delivered tomorrow... and it's got 2 day shipping, so unless the distribution center is like within a day's drive, there's no way they can keep their promise to get my stuff to me on time no matter how long "Shipping Soon" is.

17. FPAlpha

Which is why last time i cancelled my Mass Effect 3 order despite the promise to get it to me on release day.. bought it in the store at a very slightly higher price.

Very pumped for this game but unfortunately money is tight this month since i have to pay some bigger and more important bills but come November i'll be kicking some alien ass! :klingon:

Only one thing to decide.. Xbox or PC (usually i'd prefer PC for strategy games but this one is a rare turn based game so i guess console would work too and the controls aren't that complicated.. have to check out the XBox demo to form a good opinion).

18. bullethead

Well, Amazon is apparently getting the game and the blu-ray to me by tomorrow, which is good. I just hope delivery happens at a time when I can actually get the damn packages.

Anyway, I say go with the PC version, since you can just plug in your Xbox controller if you want and you get mod support.

19. FPAlpha

:scream::scream:

A friend recommended me the Xbox 360 Demo and after an hour or trying and searching i finally discovered that the Xbox Demo is only available to Gold Live members.. and mine ran out quite a while ago (haven't really bothered since i don't play the box much lately).

Well.. i'll wait till the peasants get access too and then check it out and make my decision.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You can play the PC demo if you're just curious about gameplay?