The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon cancelled

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.marveltvnews.com/2012/06...ancelled-to-be-replaced-by-avengers-assemble/

This is a shame. I thought this series would have gone on much longer after the tremendous sucess of the recent film.

I really enjoyed the first season and was looking forward to seeing season two even after hearing about the forced standalone episodes. It is too bad these cartoons don't last very long.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking at the team pick for the new show it looks like they using the upcoming new Avengers show to cash in on the movie.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ As you say, given the success of the movie, one would have expected this to carry on.

There seems to be no real correlation between successful comic book movies and tv cartoon versions of the same characters. The Iron Man Armoured adventures doesn't seem to have lasted very long. There have been at least 2 attempts to make a Spider-man cartoon since the Raimi movies, but neither lasted long. And The Batman was cancelled, despite the success of the Nolanverse.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The Batman ran for 65 episodes. Because of the economics of animated shows these days most of them are brought to an end when they hit that mark (although some effectively continue after a rebranding). 65 episodes is the gold standard animated shows aim for.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Too bad EMH will only have 52 eps by its end. A season 3 with a further 13 episodes would have been nice. :(

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you know something I don't?

Iron Man armoured Adventures s02e19 came out last week of a supposed 26 episode season and the wiki page has suits talking about season three.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, the cancellation of A:EMH is a shame, especially seeing that Avengers Assemble poster with Black Widow as the only woman on the team. I really like EMH's Wasp and Ms. Marvel.

The Avengers will carry on, just not in this form. Reports are that Jeph Loeb, who's in charge of Marvel's animated shows now, preferred to take things in a different direction. So it's a creative decision rather than a financial one.

No, that's still airing. It's been on midseason hiatus since March, but it actually returns tonight, with eight episodes remaining in season 2, and Wikipedia says they're working on a third season though it hasn't definitely been given the go-ahead yet.

I don't know why MTV's CGI Spider-Man failed (aside from not being very good), but The Spectacular Spider-Man was a casualty of corporate maneuvers, not low ratings. When Disney acquired Marvel, contracts were renegotiated (or something), and in order to retain the movie rights to Spider-Man, Sony/Columbia (which produced SSM) ceded the TV rights back to Marvel. And rather than bankrolling the further production of SSM, Marvel/Disney decided to replace it with their own in-house Spidey show, Ultimate Spider-Man.

As stated above, it ended on schedule rather than being cancelled -- and was followed by Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which also ran for 65 episodes before being ended. And BB&B will be followed by Beware the Batman, which is currently in production for a 2013 premiere. So one could hardly say that Batman is a failure in animation.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder how the X-men TV rights stand, because it would be nice to get a new X-men series preferably one that knows which character traits and team positions go to Cyclops and which ones go to Wolverine.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ugh, that sucks. I'm actually really enjoying the Avengers toon. Solid adaptations of storylines including modern ones, all star cast, good animation...

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Marvel Entertainment controls the TV rights to X-Men, or at least as regards animation (there was a lawsuit between Marvel and Fox over Mutant X), so the creative decisions on Wolverine and the X-Men were Marvel's, not Fox's.

12. Guy Gardener

The storylines are so fantastic in Earths Mightiest Heroes that I can forgive the god awful animation.

Although is anyone else disturbed that the Hulk doesn't have nipples?

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hulk smash lactation!

14. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Is there any info on the new Avengers cartoon?

15. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bugger all. I was really enjoying Avengers: EMH

Figures they'd pull this mess.

I can't even get into a show before it's out the door again.

Young Justice better be renewed past it's second series. Greg Weisman can't catch a break.

16. Guy Gardener

Avengers 15, 16 and 17 just appeared online.

That's 7 episodes in 4 days.

At this rate the season is going to be over next week.

Are we certain that marvel is going to make all 26 episodes?

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Too bad. You know, while Marvel has had better luck with their movies this past decade, DC's always has had the better animated installments. EMH was one of only two Marvel cartoons I consider to be equal to the DC cartoons, the other one being Spectacular Spider-Man. So, if Marvel's doing a cartoon I really enjoy, they cancel it after two seasons, is that the new rule?! Well, while the cancellation of SSM opened the door for Greg Weisman to defect to DC/WB and the making of Young Justice, it remains to be seen what the future will bring us in regards of the creative team behind EMH. Well, if we're lucky, they'll stay on for the new Avengers show, hopefully making that one as enjoyable as EMH.

18. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To paraphrase Phil Buni:

FAWK YOUUUUU LOOOOOOOOOOOEB!

19. Guy Gardener

I understand now.

Earths mightiest Heroes are airing in Australia.

They're going to air another 5 episodes by the 22nd of this month.

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Spectacular Spider-Man was extremely well-done and well-received by the audience, as was Wolverine & the X-Men, but neither was being aired on Disney so they got axed in favor of non-collaborative projects that Disney could own top to bottom.

Wolverine & the X-Men was very well done, and was in active development for S2 when Marvel got sold and Disney only pulled the plug so they wouldn't have to share revenues with Nickelodeon.

Translation: it was too "Old School Marvel" for the tastes of Joey Q and his disciples. It reminded them that Marvel Comics did not begin in the year 2000.

Which was the whole point of WATXM...Wolverine WAS out of his depth. That was the point, to see how he could reach down and find it within himself to pull his team through.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012