DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if that energy drink that Luthor was consuming was some kind of smart elixir he came up with. I look at all of this as younger versions of "All Star Superman" since this is partially based on Morrison's proposed "Superman: Year One" story that would have been a prequel to All-Star Superman.

As for Justice League #1...I don't have a problem with writers writing for trades. I have a problem with bad writing and atrocious dialogue of which there was in that book. I expect better from Johns who can and has done better with both things.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hitler always hates Stalin.

We've clearly been replaced by mirror versions of ourselves.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but it's branded - has a logo and a name something like "Voltage."

Looks like the label also may say "cola" at the bottom, so maybe it's just supposed to be something like Jolt rather than an energy drink.

Your acronym for All-Star Superman is unfortunate, as it was a pretty good book. :lol:

I thought it was pretty good across the board.

4. Admiral_Young

@Myasischev it would appear so. LOL

@Dennis yeah now that I flip through that page you are right it does appear to be a regularly branded energy drink, perhaps LexCorp owns it :) Another possibility is that Lex guzzles though to keep awake all night and day in order to play around in the lab.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm sorry, "ZeeZeeZee" still has me going. :lol:

This makes Clark and Jimmy out to be more contemporaries, it looks like, which is kind of nice. I always preferred the Michael Landes version of Jimmy Olsen to the others.

6. Admiral_Young

^ Yep. Morrison has described them as being "nerds". They're best friends and are into all the latest "kewl" stuff.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

BROMANCE!

8. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I hope so too. The whole reason I started reading and buying again was because I don't have to keep up with all of the crap. The Crisis', Flashpoint, War of the Supermen, Grounded and everything else in between. I just want to read a few books and thats it. If you have to have crossovers, we can have them in Justice League.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, I like the idea of Clark actually having a friend who's a little more identifiable than an occasional spear-carrier in one or two panels of a comic, designated as "Clark's friend." Olsen is a long-running character in his own right.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is the zeezeezee thing a reference to something?
    This weeks New #1
    Batman
    Birds of Prey
    Blue Beetle
    Captain Atom
    Catwoman
    DC Universe Presents (Deadman)
    Green Lantern Corps
    Legion of Superheroes
    Nightwing
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Supergirl
    Wonder Woman
    Damn, there are to many intersting books this week. The only ones that don't interest me are Captain Atom and DC Universe Presents.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Jimmy's signal watch. Mostly seen in the silver age.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Jimmy's signal watch.

13. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The other main one is Lori Morning. Lori was the female identity of the Trapper created after Zero Hour. It seemed that Lori was on the path to becoming Glorith (the Trapper's lieutenant) who would then later become the Trapper (meaning the Trapper was her own lieutenant in a past time frame).

It's one of many ideas that never came to fruition in the post Zero Hour Legion (often called "the Archie Legion"). The other big idea left on the table was that the Archie Legion R.J. Brande was actually a 1,000 year old Martian Manhunter in human disguise.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Would not surprise me.
    I mean look at JLA #1, the clearest "still writing for the trade" type of "old school management" being done. It's things like this that have people more than cautious of accepting this "new jump on point" as something legit and new. It's by the people who frelled up the old, according to themselves, universe(es).

They know, KNOW not everyone is going to buy all 52. So, how do you jack up 2012 3rd Q profits so the year-to-year doesn't look like a total hemorrage? Have a story that involves the mystery lady and DOES cross into all 52 titles for at least 2-3 months.

15. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I think those are out next week. I could be wrong though. You almost got me excited. I thought I had Nightwing and Batman to look forward to.

16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If all 52 are still around deep enough into 2012 in order to be reflected in Q3 profits, I'll be amazed.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

They KNOW not all 52 will be around. It's absurd to think THEY think all 52 will be around. They are sure on a few titles: Action, Detective, Superman, Batman, probably JL, GL, The Flash, and Wonder Woman, but all the others... I'm sure in the next few months they will start making decisions which will get cancelled (I'm looking at you Hawk and Dove) and they have books that will replace them.

In a year or so, there will be a more stable number of books, but this is a BIG IDEA, a BIG PUSH, so, yeah, lots of titles. And so far, it's working. But, things will settle.

They are hoping for a new normal though.

18. Admiral_Young

Out of the books coming out this Wednesday I'll be picking up the following:

-Batman and Robin #1
    -Batwoman #1
    -Green Lantern #1
    -Legion Lost #1
    -Superboy #1

Yeah JD's list are the books coming out next week.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

This is all built into the costing model, they know that pretty much everything they launch will be cancelled or relaunched at some stage - the trick is to cancel them while they are still profitable.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman and Robin
    Batwoman
    Deathstroke
    Demon Knights
    Frankenstein
    Green Lantern
    Red Lanterns
    Resurrection Man

How can you not care about the continuing adventures of DeadAgainMan?