NaNoWriMo 2011

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Oct 25, 2011.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My biggest problem is previous years is that I find other things to do that keep me from writing. Especially during Thanksgiving, when I go back home, I spend a lot of time hanging out with friends that I haven't seen since the previous Thanksgiving. I end up getting very behind in the writing, and it's way too hard to get caught up.

2. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was part of my problem last year. I think the biggest problem was that I went in without any real plan beyond a couple paragraphs of a concept--- got stuck, fell a few days behind and felt hopeless about a 4th of the way through it. This time I've really flushed out a lot of the story and characters in advance, leaving lots of room for creativity in the writing process but having a more defined lighthouse on the road to 50k. I'm optimistic this year. WE CAN DO IT!!

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, I'm a lot more optimistic this year. I haven't been planning it quite as much as you, but I have a much better story outline in my head than I have in previous years. My story actually has some sense of a beginning, middle, and end, rather than just a beginning with no idea where it's supposed to go.

4. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried to reimagine Enterprise, but not really. It was sort of a collision of Star Trek, Enterprise, and BSG. I was pleased with it. Vulcanians, androids, jump drives, it was pretty cool.

I might write another story this year.

Or do something else.

5. Danoz

In that way you have more than me... I have no idea what my ending is--- plus, one guy event told me he thinks the level of planning I've been doing in "cheating," but eh--- I'm well within the stated rules on Nanowrimo.org :p.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, when I say I have an ending, I mean I know the final scene. I don't know what it means or how I get there. It'd be like the writers of TNG knowing that the last episode would end at the poker table or the writers of LOST knowing that the last episode would end with Jack closing his eye. I have absolutely no clue what happens in between.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Sounds interesting. Can it be read somewhere?

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am wide awake and my wheels are spinning. I wish I could start writing now!

9. Danoz

Oh yeah I feel the same way. I'm actually collaborating with a good friend back home, in that we are both writing completely different science fiction stories, but they take place in the same universe. So she and I have shared Google docs and Skype to chat it up and talk about new ideas, our characters, plot twists and storylines (and a scene or two where our characters have interacted). It's made the process in the days up to Nov. 1st even more fun!

Edit: New Avatar :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  10. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Know what? I want to give it a shot this year. I think the most I have written before has been 5k words, so any tips? How should I prepare?

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

To prepare? No.

Just don't stop writing. Don't overthink. Don't edit as you're going (this is the hardest part for me).

The goal is not to write a perfect novel. The goal is just to write and write and write. It does help, though, to set up goals for word count so you don't get behind.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I suggest downloading the NaNoWriMo Report Card. It's a great spreadsheet tool that greatly helped me last year. You input the amount of words you've done each day and it will calculate how many more words you've got to go and words per-day. Typically, it would tell me I'm good when I'd hit 1700 words each day. It will then either tell you if you're ahead or behind the curve, which I used to plan my focus appropriately. Using this tool, I panicked a lot less as I was able to figure out the pace I needed. With the help of this tool, I was able to hit the 50k mark with 5 days left to spare, and when I knew I was going to make it near the end, I relaxed a little. In short, it will track your progress. I can't recommend this enough.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forum_comments/4583

13. Danoz

I personally have a story outline, some character sketches, and a goal to type 2000 words a day. You don't want to get bogged down, but no way I can do 50k without some kind of plan--- still, lots of people do it!

From the website:
    Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death.

If you want to lightly prepare for fun, come up with a character--- and then start taking personality quizzes from that character's perspective! (That's always fun... I have a Miers Briggs for 3 characters now haha).

Also D.C. area probably has an awesome community with a lot of write-ins and meetups. Worth checking out!!

14. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

It might be interesting in concept, but like many NaNo novels, I suspect it's awful.

I've not posted it. I might.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, some planning is definitely not going to hurt you. I've got many of my characters already figured out in my head, and I have a rough mental outline of some random parts of my story, but beyond that I have nothing.

I did spend the last part of my work day making my own little NaNo Report Card to track my progress, though. To get to 50,000 words, you need to write 1,667 words per day. It just makes it a lot easier in the long run to bump that up to 2,000, just incase you miss a day or start to fall behind.

16. Danoz

I see it as more of a personal challenge. For me, it's to get down on paper a first draft of a story concept I've had for a long time. The entire idea behind NanoWriMo is that so many people get so caught up into whether something is "good" that they put off writing it or plan themselves into never writing it. This gives you an intense deadline with loads of encouragement and community to boot! This is my second year... I came in short last year :shifty:

This year it's mine!! NOVEMBER IS A GOOD MONTH TO DIE :klingon:

17. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Assuming you have the basic story idea, characters, settings, and such in place, what's stopping you from doing a prequel now? Maybe a related short story with some of the characters before the events of your main story?

I'm debating doing nano this year. Something always comes up whenever I do this, and this year's isn't looking so hot - three-day convention, book signings, Thanksgiving and Black Friday, book club, convention planning meetings - but maybe if I double up a few days, I could make it this time.

The problem is narrowing down which story to write ... I have two main story ideas, and combining them won't work.

Good luck everyone who is participating!

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Work on both ideas and alternate days. It might help the creativity.

19. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to do NaNoWriMo this year. I've tried twice before and I haven't finished yet. Third time's a charm! (Last year, I foolishly tried and had to abandon the project in order to do a rewrite on my thesis.)

My challenge is that I like to edit as I write; I'll have to remember quantity over quality. :bolian:

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Exactly. November is for writing. You can edit in December!