National Novel Writing Month

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Robert Maxwell, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It starts today. Who is doing it?

I've got a novel worked out that I'll be doing. Already wrote an outline and some supporting material. Going to start the actual book tonight.

Anyone else out there doing this? Use this thread to track your progress and brag to your friends! ;)

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I will be writing a novel in November, however its the same novel I started about 2 months back and I'll still be writing it after November ends so that probably excludes me, but best of British to anyone who has a go! :techman:

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not participating, but I have recently been making plans for what I hope will eventually be my first novel. It may be a while before I actually start writing; for now, I'm fleshing out the background, characters, and basic plot. I have a large notebook that's slowly filling up with cross-linked information. It's a lot of fun and very interesting - realizing that logically, if you've established this about your setting, it only makes sense for that to follow, seeing how your plans shift as you get a better grip on your characters, etc. :) I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off, but there's no rush.

Unlike those of you participating in the Month. Get writing, you :p

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have tried every year for the last 6 years, but I have never succeeded. November is always such a busy month for me that my novel always falls by the wayside.

5. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    And you make me look silly with my first novel locked up in here-taps head for a few seconds then stops, realizing that no one can bloody well see me- and with nothing written anywhere for it.

Ah one day (by which I mean never of course).

I'll not be entering this contest as my approach to deadlines would put the late Douglas Adams to shame, as anyone who knows me can attest.;)

6. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm in! Write-ins and word wars and caffeine! Always a good time. :D

Was gonna start this thread myself later today, if no one else had done so. :lol:

Last night at midnight, I wrote one sentence, heh. Stopped there because I was really tired yesterday and wasn't up to really getting into it, but it's become a tradition for me to always start right when the clock strikes midnight on the night of the 31st. So I wanted to get SOMETHING down before going to bed.

This'll be my fifth time doing it, and my fourth success assuming I reach the big 50k (crashed and burned in '09; I would have appreciated it if the plotline I was working on had told me that it wasn't going anywhere on November 1st, instead of November 15th).

Writing a fantasy novel this time around, but I'm going into it with less planning than usual, so we'll see how that goes.

Happy Nano'ing! :)

7. Robert Maxwell

Nice to see there's at least one other person on board. :)

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I was thinking on it as one of my regional leaders asked me if I was going to when I saw her last, but I've been way too busy as of late and November has come up way too fast. Maybe next year. I do have an interesting idea in mind that I want to do, but it will take some time and research as it's going to be historical fiction.

9. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Maybe I should make this my own Get Back To Trying To Get the Novel I Wrote a Year and a Half Ago Published Month.

10. Robert Maxwell

[​IMG]

Done with mine for tonight. 1878 words. It feels good!

11. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not focusing on November but I will and have been working on a story that I started 23 years ago. It has gone through a lot of changes but there is a core of ideas and a story that I've been trying to get out of my head.

12. Saito S

Seconded!

My biggest problem is finishing. I have a lot of ideas for plots, settings, characters, etc... world-building is great, but actually writing out a complete story, that's the hard part (for many people, I think). But also a rather important part. If you have something that is actually complete, then definitely see if you can get it out there! :)
    Yep. I'm at 1683 (so past the daily target at least). Done for tonight. So far, pantsing (read: beginning to write out the story without a lot of pre-planning, for those of you unfamiliar with NanoSpeak) seems to be working out okay... We'll see what happens tomorrow, heh.

13. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    This is another year I won't do it, but maybe next year. I participated 3 or 4 times and only once I didn't manage to finish in time. It's crazy but fun :)

I'll send you your certificate by post.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

50,000 words in a month.

I'm wondering how many words of forum posts I do in that time.

15. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I hate "pantsing" my way through something like this. The main reason I haven't done this before is that November tends to be a bad month for me. This time around, I think I will be able to make it, though I may have some catching up to do because of Thanksgiving.

Anyway, I had this idea I've been kicking around for a while, and I wrote up an outline. Probably the easiest outline I've ever done for a book. The idea is pretty straightforward and it was just a matter of playing it out and finding a satisfying conclusion. I think it's going to go well. :)

Best of luck to you, Saito! If you want to bounce any ideas off of me, feel free to PM/IM me.

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Well, now I have to, because that image will haunt my dreams until I do!

My novel writing experience was rather odd. I never thought I would write a novel, especially not a mystery, and then, one morning I just woke up with a whole story in my head. All the characters were there, the plot, the plot twists, the details, everything. I sat down and wrote it from beginning to end in 3 1/2 weeks. It's a strange sort of coming-of-age thing that deals with mental illness, addiction, and racism, with a murder mystery and an arson mystery to be solved, plus a bit of fantasy thrown in for good measure. Strangest of all, I think it actually might work.

17. Robert Maxwell

That sounds pretty awesome! I love eclectic novels like that.

18. Robert Maxwell

I wrote another 1876 words today (2 fewer than yesterday.) Going well so far.

19. Robert Maxwell

How are all of you doing? I wrote 2230 today, so I am up to 5984. At this rate, I will be a day ahead after tomorrow!

20. Saito S

I'm at 5012, which puts me right on target (5001 would be the exact day 3 count, going by 1667 words per day). Might get a little more done later tonight if I have time, but I'm not sure.

There's a kickoff party for my region tomorrow, which I'll be attending; I've always been able to get a good amount done at write-ins, so I'm hoping that will continue!