So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Working my way through the Captain's Table series. I read The Mist today and am now currently working on the Voyager novel Fire Ship.

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished reading The Lost Stars: Perilous Shield.

3. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

finished the Terok Nor trilogy. Great read, far more enjoyable than I anticipated.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got Ceremony Of Losses in yesterday, finished it today. What a read, fantastic novel!

Now working on The Farther Shore. I never got around to reading the first four novels of the Voyager Relaunch, and was able to find Homecoming and The Farther Shore secondhand. Sofar, both novels aren't very impressive. I was planning on finding the Spirit Walk Duology to finish the entire set, but not sure right now.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished reading the Destiny Trilogy by David Mack (2008) and enjoyed it thoroughly. I recently purchased "Echoes" (VOY) and therefore have most of the Voyager novels. But, maybe I shall read the Gateways series first. Need to get a couple more of the DS9 books too yet.

As for other reading, I read four of the Benjamin Jowett translations of Plato dialogues and am now starting "The Laws" in the Penguin version. Also read "Lysistrata" (translated by Lindsay) by Aristophanes (511 BC?). Apparently the sexual imagery makes this play controversial.

Anyway, at a conference (Recovery Centered Clinical Systems) about people's recovery (not computers) for next three days. Might have time to read one more ST novel before end of month.

7. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"The Vulcan Academy Murders" by Jean Lorrah.

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Lay Siege to Heaven by Luis deWohl. The story of St. Catherine of Sienne.

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About two thirds of the way through Ceremony of Losses by David Mack. Good read so far.

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Just finished "The House of Silk", a new Sherlock Holmes story. It was ok, but the author fell into the old traps of making Watson & Lestrade seem a bit quicker-witted, went into rambling monologues about how Watson wished he appreciated character X more then he did when he was adventuring with Holmes, projecting more modern values onto Victorian society, and bringing a recent news story, changing it a bit, and making it part of a Holmes story.

This was even more disappointing because he captured the style perfectly - if he hadn't ladled all of the above on top it would have been pretty good.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What's wrong with Watson being quick-witted? He was always of above average intelligence, being a successful physician and author; he just wasn't in Holmes's supergenius league and thus seemed limited by contrast.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I just finished reading TimeRider: The Eternal War.

13. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Quicker. He picks up stuff he wouldn't have done in Conan Doyle's stories. Holmes actually calls him scintillating when he tests Watson on a case and doesn't use it sarcastically.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^But Holmes did actually respect Watson's intelligence. It wasn't on a par with his, but it was above that of most of the public, at least once Holmes had instructed him in how to observe and deduce. Watson often fell short, but on those occasions where he did make effective observations and deductions, Holmes would legitimately praise him.

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"The IDIC Epidemic" by Jean Lorrah.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading Section 31 Shadow by Dean Wesley Smith. I can't wait to read David Mack's new Section 31 Novel Disavowed coming out nest year:thumbdown::crazy:.I tried reading a fantasy novel Lord of the Isles by David Brin it's one of the most boring books I've read in a long time I quit reading it and now I'm reading TNG Contamination by John Vornholt.

17. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm in the last third of I Am Malala.

I have A Ceremony of Losses, and expect to start it this week, followed by Hawking's A Brief History of Time.

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Freedom Angst, the Lust/Mirror Universe story from ST: Seven Deadly Sins. It was kinda meh. I can't put my finger on exactly what it was about it, but for some reason I just didn't enjoy it that much. It wasn't bad enough to make me stop again, but if it was a 300-400 page full length novel I don't know if I would have finished it.
    My score: 6/10

Since I finished that and Brinkmanship, I decided to read the second digital TPB of The New 52 Wonder Woman, Guts.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  20. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Escape, Voyager #2. Just felt like blasting out one of the numbered Voyager books. It was written way before the show even aired and it shows. Some interesting plot points but the characters could really be anybody since it was written so early so what's the point? I'm guessing the first few of these are going to be the same.