ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's been aired in HD, but it's only been released in SD on DVD (and VHS). This release allows us to own it in HD (albeit with up-converted sfx) for the first time. It's a more marginal improvement than the other Trek series' but it's an improvement nonetheless.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

So even if you'd recorded it during first broadcast, the Blu-Ray versions would show more detail?

3. trekker670

Yes, the first airings were also in SD IIRC. Later on HD.NET started airing it in HD, but typically physical media will be of higher quality than the broadcast version, especially after it's been recorded (even more so since I'm assuming it was recording in a non-HD format since bluray recorders are relatively new)

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

It's certainly an improvement, Melakon, but as already stated, far less so than TOS and TNG. I haven't received my season 2 box yet, but season 1 definitely lacks much in the way of HD pizzaz. Let's put it this way, I don't use my ENT BD's as system demo material!

TNG, on the other hand, is a HUGE, WHOPPING jump in picture and sound quality. It's like the blurry, artifact ridden, washed out gauze has at last been lifted from the show!

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Then the reviewer must not have watched it. :lol:

I made it halfway through Vanishing Point and haven't went back.

6. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Oh, you missed some of the best stuff!

Just kidding. ;)

8. d514

d514 Ensign Red Shirt

I like Vanishing Point :P

Also Shockwave Pt.2, Minefield, Dead Stop, The Catwalk, Future Tense, Regeneration, First Flight, Bounty and The Expanse. So I agree that season 2 is underrated...

9. LOKAI of CHERON

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

11. LOKAI of CHERON

Yup, although I'm pretty certain the STID Blu-ray is going to bag 5 stars for both picture and sound quality, I have a feeling they're going to slam it in the actual movie review.

12. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

Amazon UK has shipped my order; it will probably take about a week to arrive here in the states.

13. trekker670

Same here. It shipped today (Aug 19), but will arrive next Tuesday (Aug 27)

14. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it was broadcast at 720p (or 1080i?), then you'll get a resolution increase on Blu-ray. You'll also not have so much compression that broadcast video has to go through. So, yeah, it will look nicer. Maybe not loads nicer but, short of remastering, that's about as good as Enterprise will ever look.

They're on iTunes in HD as well, aren't they? That's probably a closer comparison.

15. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

16. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Right, the Blu-ray discs technically have the most detail possible due to offering full 1080p resolution on the live-action footage, in addition to using lower compression than the streaming/downloadable versions available (where are also only available at 720p resolution).

Enterprise was filmed on 35mm film, then scanned into 1080p for the digital editing workflow or for Season 4 it was shot at 1080p/24 on professional Sony HD digital video cameras. VFX was typically rendered at 720p for Season 3/4, a mix of 720p/480p, whatever rendered quickly enough in the time/budget allotted in S2, and 480p in S1. The VFX was then upscaled, if needed, in their editing workflow.

It was then prepared for 720p broadcast according to various places online. That the Netflix/Amazon/iTunes versions (and when shown on HDnet) are all 720p, lends credence to the information that it was indeed prepared for 720p during the first run broadcast of the episodes.

I'm a big fan of the Blu-ray sets since it is technically the best presentation we'll likely ever get of Enterprise but more-so because of the excellent bonus features.

The reality is that Enterprise was shot pretty flat and dull at times (especially S1 and S2), so the live action doesn't have any major extra pop at 1080p, and the VFX is only rendered at 720p, so I'd imagine a lot of people don't feel a huge reason to get the BD sets since the 720p versions on Netflix, etc. do an decent job already.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I think I've only seen the borg episode in season two. (That was season two, right?) I'd already stopped watching the show in season one, but some Trekkers were telling me, "Okay, you gotta watch this episode. If you don't like this one, then you definitely won't ever like ENT."

Watched it. Didn't like it.

There was a VHS release?

18. trekker670

Yes, but only the first season. From 2003 and beyond Paramount Home Entertainment decided to release solely on DVD (with the exception of Nemesis, which used both formats)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  19. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

I don't think it ever got to VHS in America.

20. LOKAI of CHERON

Superb, season 2 just dropped through my letter box! :techman: