Q

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SignGuyHPW, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SignGuyHPW

SignGuyHPW Lieutenant Red Shirt

What's the opinions on Q being featured quite a bit in Voyager? I thought he should've been used more for Borg related stories due to the fact that he introduced the Federation to the Borg. The facination he had with Janeway just kind of perplexed me.

2. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, except for "Death Wish" which was outstanding, Q started going down hill with Voyager. In TNG, Q was fresh, fun and funny. And Q had a valid story arc in TNG starting in Encounter at Farpoint and ending with All Good Things. In Voyager, there was no story arc, so Q felt completely shoe horned in for no reason but to milk a popular TNG character. And, John de Lancie was starting to show some age and the humor was getting repetitive. Plus they tried to repeat the chemistry between Picard and Q with Janeway and did not quite work! Then, we get ridiculous eps like Q2 with a teenager Q and it was over!

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The biggest flaw with Death Wish is it was good enough to warrant sequels... which were horrible. Voyager turned the Q from a higher power that's mysterious and threatening at times to a disgruntled sitcom family.

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Q and I think that he was OK in Voyager, even if he was better in TNG.

5. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, Death Wish is one of my favorite VOY episodes but Q and the Grey and Q2 are 2 of the worst.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought Q was fine in Death Wish, but every sequel with him on VOY just got worst and worst. :shrug:

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

On the one hand de Lancie is great. On the other I was over Q five minutes after I first saw him. But there are always great moments of character interaction with him.

8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Q was a way for an "outsider" character to keep the captains from getting too big an ego. Sure, Q was annoying, irritating, and caused a lot of trouble. But there was always a lesson that was learned in the Q episodes - sometimes by Q, but always by the humans.

9. jaz'a

jaz'a Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Q was ok. I've never seen the TNG episodes he's from, so I can't compare his character between them, but he provided a little amusement and a change of pace.

Q2 I wasn't a fan of. It seemed silly for Q to drop his son off to Janeway as if she could preform some sort of miracle.

10. teacake

I thought the TNG ep was tedious. Q gets more lively as time goes on.

11. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I thought all the Q episodes were great.

and I love how the OP says Q was featured "quite a bit"....sure if you call three episodes "quite a bit" :lol:

12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Q in his TNG appearances and his lone DS9 appearance, but actually think he was best-suited for Voyager and wish the writers had thought of ways to use him on a more recurrent basis. Of all the humans Q interacted with, Janeway comes the closest to being his intellectual 'equal', and she's really the only human he had an interest in that wasn't 'facile' on some level, and seeing him pop in from time to time would've been neat.

The writers really could've used him the same way they did Lwaxanna in DS9, and I think it's a missed opportunity that they didn't.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lwaxana was in... four episodes of DS9 I think it was and their success was questionable. So you wanted just one more Q episode?

Q's at his best when he's the cynical superior lifeform with witty taunts more than just playing an almost Joker like role. DS9 featured only the latter, Voyager did two out of three episodes and TNG was hit and miss with him two as there were some cringeworthy episodes like Hide and Q there too.

De Lancie just delivers with such style, that even the bad episodes he stars in can often be forgiven.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the Q episodes.

15. teacake

I find the civil war stuff unbearable to watch. Not because of Q, because of the civil war.

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I'm in the minority of people who really can't stand Q. His episodes are always really contrived and pretty dull I find.

He was also a product of TNG and should have stayed there. DS9 thankfully only used him once, but one punch from The Sisko saw that he never returned. VOY could have used him once, but to get him back multiple times was just too much.

17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fun episodes, not as good as the TNG eps with Q, but not as bad as some other VOY episodes. Voyager had plenty of non-Q episodes that were a lot worse then the eps with Q.

18. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Well I love Q and I love Janeway so seeing them interact was enjoyable. I dont dislike any Q episodes, they are usually good fun with an interesting perspective too.

19. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

Loved 'Death Wish' and Q2. Absolutely hated 'Q and the Grey'. A boring episode with a silly plot. Q's as civil war soldiers and Voyager magically transforming into soldiers... Give me a break. :rolleyes:

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought The Q and the Grey was brilliant. Both Suzie Plakson and John de Lancie fit right in with the Voyager cast - especially Plakson, whose snarky comments, particularly those about Vulcans and Klingons, are perfectly delivered - and I wish we'd seen more of them (especially Plakson).

The episode's story also makes total sense given everything we know about the Continuum, and, like TNG's Qpid, provides a perfect excuse for dressing up the characters in 'period' clothing.