The Host and Continuity

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Bry_Sinclair, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think what Timo is saying (though I could be horribly wrong) is that the Trill should just be a symbiont species and that the host could be any species.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nothing wrong with the Trill as deplicted in TNG. It was the first time they were shown.

It's DS9 that completely ignored how they were shown in TNG. They should have just called them a different species if they didn't want to put so much ugly alien makeup on the pretty Terry Farrell. :lol:

3. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Ah, I getcha now.

4. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I would had really liked to see a Trill Klingon.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

What I mean is that the Trill species (the slugs) or certain Trill individuals (again slugs) might have had an agenda involving some infiltrating, and the unpredictability in the choice of host species would mean our heroes would never know if a person they interacted with was in fact part of the Trill agenda.

The Trills could be an actual threat (they want Starfleet out of Bajor?), or then more like comedic relief (this luscious Trill is out to lure our young men & women to the slippery slope?), or anything in between (what face does this notorious Trill bank robber wear?).

The concept of changing faces every now and then would have worked against the background of "The Host", in which a Trill did change faces twice. The concept of one and the same host staying till its life is over would also have allowed for the above plots, too, however.

AND for the Trill Klingon. Although I think Jadzia was a fun take at that very thing...

Timo Saloniemi

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The Host" is just another episode later ignored/retconned into oblivion. Like everyone's amazement at "theoretically possible" invisibility and much of what Spock said about 22nd century starship technology during his shipwide mission broadcast during "Balance of Terror" was wiped away by Enterprise. Just like TOS' trips to the rim and centre of the galaxy can't have feasibly happend in the Voyager universe.

Such is television. I know some of you will go "No, it actually all fits perfectly, you see... [insert incredibly conveluted explanations here]" but a retcon is a retcon.

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I see what you mean, and it has a lot of potential. But for it to work, the Trill would need to be able to change hosts a great deal more often than what we saw.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or then there wouldn't be a single recurring Trill slug character with many faces, but rather a group of slugs coming and going. The DS9 concept could have accommodated a constant flow of visiting characters whom the heroes are supposed to trust even though they only work with them for one or two episodes, and a certain percentage of these could have come with a tummy-hidden agenda. Sort of like the Founders, but less sinister.

And Star Trek essentially consists of nothing but retcons. Why should there be something bad about that? There's no preplanning in this sort of television, there is only postplanning... But postplanning is what gives us backstories, continuity and plot twists, all of these sort of by definition.

Timo Saloniemi

9. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Yep