Can I suggest an Art Contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Frontier, Sep 9, 2005.

1. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

well if im not mistaken didnt somebody redo the Connie to have the same textures as the nx-01? didnt look to bad either :)

2. TPoptarts

TPoptarts Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well since it's that time of the year, how about a Halloween theme? :p Which could include anything Trek related from physical costumes to ghost ships, to a Halloween Trek scene, to that old Jamie Lee Curtis film... Klingon "treats"... Not.Dead.... I can go on forever...

Boo :p

3. Andy S

Andy S Captain Captain

^I like that idea.

One other idea I've been mulling over, how about:

- Trek: The Director's Edition: Design a film poster for a Trek re-imagined by a famous director in their own style. Just think what Trek would have looked like if it had fallen into the hands of the likes of Alfred Hitchock, Tim Burton, Quentin Tarantino, Cecil B DeMille or even Spielberg or Disney!

Could be a lot of fun.

4. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I have an idea that I don't think has been done here. As the captain of a Star Trek club, every year I face an incredible challenge in getting holiday cards for the members in the club that are not specifically for Christmas and are general enough for members of Jewish and other faiths. Have folks put together ideas for Star Trek-themed holiday cards, either comical like the ones in which Santa is riding a NG starship instead of a sleigh or a serious one, like the photo collages done by the Captain, who seems to have fallen off the face of the earth? Any ideas or suggestions?

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I like this idea. Now someone win the Nov contest so we can do it. :D

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Did my ideas that started this topic oh so long ago ever ge done? LOL

7. Temis the Vorta

Let's keep bumping it and maybe someone will use those ideas. :D

8. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I like the Holiday card idea, but there'd have to be some qualifiers in there so that it doesn't just end up being a collage of cast photos with "Merry Trekmas" written on them.

9. Temis the Vorta

The qualifier would be: If ya wanna win, do something to impress folks. ;) The winners around here generally show quite a bit of imagination, among other qualities.

10. Barbarossa Rotbart

Barbarossa Rotbart Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Create a uniform that is the mix of two canon designs. EDIT: Or design MU variants of the TMP, Movie and TNG uniforms.

11. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

I have held out on this suggestion in hopes that I would actually have the time to join one of the art contests. Alas, life and family continue to get in teh way (I really need to win the lottery, but I digress).

My son is a Boy Scout, and as such has to enter a car in the annual Pinewood Derby. After "helping" him make his (actually I have made him do more of the work as he got oder, but the thought of a Dremel in the hands of a 6 year old seemed a bit reckless) this year, I plan on putting together my own based on the TMP shuttlecraft (using the diagrams in Shane Johnson's "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise"). It is either that, or the Knight Bus from Harry Potter, since there is no height limit.

thus, my contest idea is to see what everyone could come up with if they had to do a Pinewood Derby Car in the fashion of a Star Trek vessel (any vessel, doesn't matter what kind). The only caveat would be that it actually has to meet the maximum length and weight specs (I think it is 7 inches long and I know it can weigh no more than 5 ozs.).

Of course, you don't need to carve your own block of wood, you could "construct" your car using the 3-D program of your choice, so long as it met the length and weight requirements.

If interested, PM me and I will get the hard facts about the requirements.

12. johnhazard

johnhazard Commander Red Shirt

I think it's an adorable idea, but I don't think limiting the weight and size of them makes sense. We're not going to race them, they just need to look cool, and those limitations will limit what people can do with them (particularly, noone will be able to put nacelles on theirs!).

I think the only limitation should be that you have to start with the basic body, and you have to keep, say, 70% of the body intact. Also, it still needs the wheels and should be able to roll, if only in theory. If you can't get the actual car kit (they're available at hobby shops and K-marts all over the U.S.), then CG is certainly allowed.

Those are my suggestions. :thumbsup:

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. I'll be helping my son with his this weekend, as well as building my own for the "Unlimited" class. I was thinking about doing the Galileo shuttle.

To help some people get started, the basic block is 7" long by 1.75" wide by 1.25" tall, the wheels are 1.125" in diameter, and the axle locations are 1" and 5.25" from one end (doesn't matter which end is the front).

14. LT_Sollon

LT_Sollon Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Howse about a contest to see who could design the best Enterprise (H or I?) for the proposed web animated series? She would have to look more futuristic than Enterprise-E, less than Enterprise-J, and have to have some weathering since she is not exactly a top of the line ship anymore.

15. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I don't remember seeing this one in the thread, but if it's already out there, here it is again.

ST:TNG:TAS.

Next Generation (series proper or era in general) in animated form. We've got TOS Animated, let's see what TNG would look like Animated. If you're a DS9 or VOY fan, those work too - TNG era, not necessarily TNG series specifically.

16. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I was thinking of a possible contest or challenge... what about a logo for the Federation Postal Service? I kinda wonder what one might look like?

17. Avilos

Avilos Guest

Not sure if this has ever been done before -

How about illustrating events that were referred to in episodes or films but never actually shown? There have been tons of these to choose from.

18. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Soon it will be time to think about a winter holiday-themed challenge, so just putting that out there for whomever wins the November challenge ;).

What about a banner contest for the TrekBBS? Even if we couldn't get the board itself to endorse the winner(s), there are surely enough of us with our own websites that we could post them there to promote this, our second/third/only home ;).

And, of course, there's always the pin-up contest ... :D

19. beacon

beacon Ensign Newbie

How about drawing the cast members of the 2008 movie as you see them in the movie.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Disney / Trek theamed art contest for March?