Your Favorite Main Title Theme Song (all TV series)

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jedi_Master, Jan 15, 2015.

?

What is your favorite Trek Main Title theme song?

1. TOS: composed by Alexander Courage

39.7%
  2. TNG: composed by Jerry Goldsmith (reused from TMP)

31.0%
  3. DS9: composed by Dennis McCarthy

20.7%
  4. VOY: composed by Jerry Goldsmith (all new)

20.7%
  5. ENT: written by Dianne Warren/sung by R. Watson

5.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

What is your favorite main title theme song?

Why?

My personal favorite is the Voyager Main Title theme, followed by TOS' main title theme song.

I think Voyager's theme music is soaring, beautiful, memorable, and perfectly fits the setting in which the show took place.

ETA: The TNG theme also used elements of Alexander Courage's TOS theme music.

2. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

TOS, all the way. I like TNG's theme quite a bit, even though it was recycled from TMP. And DS9's theme is good, too.

VOY's theme never did anything for me. I find it rather tuneless. And ENT's theme I actively hate. Awful, awful, awful.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I thought Enterprise was the only one with a theme song.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True, ENT is the only ST show with a main title that has a theme Song, the others have Theme Tunes.

5. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG, it sounds festive and uplifting. Voyager's is a close second, mainly because of this video: http://blip.tv/theme-lyrics/theme-lyrics-star-trek-voyager-3298763

"Increase the key, Mr. Tuvok!":lol:

Ds9's intro is kinda boring.

The Enterprise one gets better if you imagine it's the actual crew of the ship preforming it (badly in front of a audience of ensigns and enlisted crewmen Archer forced to be there and all the exits locked) and T'Pol plays the tambourine. It definitely sounds like something Archer would listen to in his free time, while doing the air guitar.

TOS....just like the rest of the show it's too much 60s cheese for me, plus the vocalizing is annoying as heck. "Ha-ah ha-ahaaaaa..." :rolleyes:

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

TNG's song lifts my spirits the most. It could be nostalgia though, I grew up watching it. DS9 and Voyager tie for second with TOS close at third. Enterprise was a curve-ball and it's not like I didn't like the song but it never felt like Star Trek to me.

My favorite Star Trek song over all though is the Star Trek VIII First Contact expanded score (also by Jerry Goldsmith).

7. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

TOS, followed by the TNG theme, which has a little bit of the TOS theme in it.

I'm on fence with the ENT theme song. I can appreciate what they were trying to do with it as far as the lyrics, yet it just comes off like so much 90's lite-rock drivel. Maybe if it had been performed by someone else, in a different style, it would have been better received.

I can't even remember the DS9 and VOY themes, but then again I'm not a big fan of either one of those shows.

8. Push The Button

deleted

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  9. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're all good (and for me it's somewhat hard to distinguish them from the opening credits images) but I think the best was for probably Deep Space Nine, it felt the least repetitive and most interesting and thus best-paced. Voyager's is very interesting but feels a little too long while the others are entertaining but a little too bombastic.

10. JonnyQuest037

Let's see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXx3hgBvako

Nope. Still sucks. :)

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

TOS followed by DS9; although I like the TMP theme, I never liked seeing it used for TNG and thought a different theme should have been used.

--Sran

12. Push The Button

Haha.. well, with all due respect to Rod Stewart, when I said a different style, maybe Henry Rollins or Pantera..

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Apparently there was an original main theme recorded for "Encounter at Farpoint", and it's incorporated into some early background music, but for some reason they recycled TMP. I liked TOS main title best, ENT theme worst, because it's another re-use of an existing melody, and it always makes me think of Patch Adams, not Star Trek.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If it's the piece I'm thinking of, it's on at least one of the soundtrack CDs and it's...not great. :(

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That's where I had it, on the Farpoint soundtrack. The original TNG theme sounded like it should be on some old show with action scene freeze frames of the cast as their names appear.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The original because it's got energy.

I actually prefer the Goldsmith TMP theme, but I hate the bland orchestration of it used for TNG, which is why I didn't vote for that.

17. JonnyQuest037

I can't imagine what that might sound like, but I'm sure the wussiness of the lyrics would still shine through and make for a bizarre listening experience.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek, followed by The Next Generation and Enterprise.

I'm not sure I could pick out the Deep Space Nine or Voyager theme if it was mixed in with other classical music. :shrug:

19. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]v=ZNcAxhqJvFs[/yt]

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of The Last Starfighter. I'm not sure if it resembles the music from that at all, just what it makes me think of.:)