Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 22, 2013.

?

borg for Trek 3

1. yes.

20.7%
  2. no.

70.7%
  3. save them for ST 4 (if there is one)

8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Please no. I'd rather see Klingons, Gorn or something else from TOS. Leave the next generation stuff for when the timeline moves forward or for another series.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But why should the Borg be considered strictly "next generation stuff" if it's all one big happy continuity? There are defensible reasons why the Borg could easily appear sooner in the new timeline.

3. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Especially since they WEREN'T in TNG. They were in Voyager and Enterprise as well I believe, I didn't watch much of that show. Also, people are complaining about there being nothing new, then are saying that the Borg should be the same as they always were, that's odd. Kirk and TOS crew encountering the Borg WOULD be something NEW.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The Borg were introduced in TNG, figuring in several episodes, a feature film, and (briefly) in the DS9 pilot episode - all this well before Voyager had aired.

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if serious.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Klingons were overused to death (about five times over, IMO) in TNG and DS9 - yet they were made interesting again in Into Darkness (who else held their breath and craned their neck as the Klingon commander slowly removed his helmet?) They can easily make the Borg awesome again.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're right, they have been done to death over the franchise, TOS included. I won't say a guy taking off a helmet covering a different set of ridges is "interesting again" though. Really the only purpose the Klingons served in the movie was cannon fodder to show how badass Khan is, and a distant threat to justify the bad guy's motives. Giving the Borg a makeover isn't going to make them interesting to me. And if you change them too much, they stop being the Borg and they may as well introduce something new anyways. It's a big galaxy. We don't have to have the same handful of villains, especially when they rebooted this to avoid being tied to old continuity.

8. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Admiral Marcus was a pretty original as a villian, the technicality was he possibly did not have the power to direct Starfleet in the prime universe the way he did in the alt time line.

The problem with original characters is if they were to be formidable and powerful to test the crew and the Enterprise - surely they would have existed and troubled the TOS crew in the prime universe under different circumstances and time.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I suspect that's a typo, that was meant to say "Especially since they WEREN'T JUST in TNG"

10. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

There is no such thing.

I dare you, hell....I will PAY YOU if you can conceive of an original idea that can't in any way be linked back to previous incarnations of Trek.

They couldn't even do that in TMP and that was the very first movie! They have LITERALLY an entire universe to play with. Only 79 other episodes, no TNG, DS9, VOY, or ENT.

What do they do the first time out? REHASH The Changeling.

2nd movie? Sequel to Space Seed. Talk about lazy huh?

3rd Movie: Klingons.....AGAIN? A story about the Kirk/Spock friendship.

4th Movie: This comes closest to something fresh and new even though we'd already done time travel in TOS more than once.

5th Movie: Sybok was an original idea for Trek even if it was a poorly conceived one. Big baddie is an energy cloud, haven't seen that in Trek before. Story about Religion....

6th Movie: Klingons....AGAIN!!!!!~! A story about how bad war is.

None of these ideas were really new even to Star Trek and the majority of film appeared before the TV show spin offs existed.

There aren't new stories to tell, just new ways to tell the same stories. And I can easily argue that STID told a very familiar story in a new way.

Not liking it is fine, saying it wasn't original show a lack of understanding as it relates to original story telling.

11. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I'm betting we'll not see Borg but rather V'Ger/Borg. Probably with a Doomsday Machine and Klingons thrown in somewhere for good measure. :rommie:

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

A horror science-fiction film with robotic space zombies is right up Bad Robot's alley. It's the perfect fit for those guys. I don't understand why so many people object.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You're probably right.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're not talking about a 'story' though; we're talking about specific elements not broad themes which can be interpreted a hundred ways.

You can argue that there are no original stories left to tell but you can easily explore those stories through new characters.

15. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Yes, and I think that's what these new movies are all about. We've seen the stories, but present them in a new and exciting way, and you get blockbusters.

16. Robert_T_April

Robert_T_April Captain Captain

Everything is set up for the Klingons to be the main villains in Trek 3.
    The Borg in this timeline would be nothing short of totally ridiculous! NOTHING can justify the Borg in Trek 3.

17. Silanda

Silanda Lieutenant Red Shirt

No, no, no, no, no! The Borg were utterly run into the ground on TV, and I have no desire to see any more of them (though I'll admit that I had the same initial reaction to the reuse of Khan, yet I really enjoyed Into Darkness).

Something new next time please.

18. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Totally agree, as much as I'd love to see the Borg again with modern effects, it doesn't seem right and would piss people off even more that whitewashing Khan, they would also have to include yet more time travel BS to get them into TOS time and area of the Galaxy which for me will say 'lazy'. Like you said it's gonna be the Klingons for ST3, and I'm all for that, just because we've seen them plenty of times doesn't mean they can't introduce us to a couple of really memorable Klingon characters. Maybe in years to come the Klingons could become allies with the Federation because of a Borg incursion or something, but for me thats for ST4 and beyond.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I agree that The Borg shouldn't be the enemy in STXIII, and that it is indeed set up for The Kingons to a major adversary in the next movie.

However, The Borg wouldn't require Time Travel. The Narada was depicted in the Comics (I believe?) as being of at least partial Borg Design/Tech. They could easily explain that the Narada sent some kind of a signal that attracted the Borg to the Alpha Quadrant.

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The probe could take Marcus instead of Ilia. Then, at the end of the movie, Kirk joins with V-ger and Marcus. It sells itself! Get John Cho on the phone and tell him to start practicing his "wide-eyed-in-awe" look. ;)

No Borg, please. No Klingons, either, unless it's something more sophisticated than a shoot-em-up or war. (Something more like "Errand of Mercy" in theme.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.