How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ryan123450, Sep 2, 2013.

1. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was watching a rerun on FXX tonight; it was the Thanksgiving episode early in the series that had the gag at the end where the stripper introduces herself to Ted; then future Ted tells the kids "And that's how I met your mother" to their shock.

The interesting thing is that the stripper introduced herself as Tracy. They gave us the mother's name way back then, but it wasn't an obvious mention. It makes sense, though; the kids wouldn't have fallen for the joke if the stripper had a different name than their mother.

2. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been watching the 7th and 8th season since the finale and there are all kinds of hints about what is going to happen. Victoria breaks up with Ted by telling him him and Robin are going to end up together. Even if it takes 15 years.

3. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I have nothing against "the Mother" but Victoria is still my favorite among the girls Ted has dated other than Robin. Their Romance was beautiful. Robin and Ted had good chemistry though.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

"Tracy" has been a fan-favorite speculation for the Mother's name for the past 8 years for this very reason.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, just because they HAD a plan doesn't make it a good plan.

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Again, just because you didn't like the finale, it doesn't necessarily mean it was terrible, either.

7. JarodRussell

Erm, sure it does, because opinion is subjective. If I didn't think it was terrible, why would I dislike it?

But go ahead and say how it's objectively not terrible.

8. doubleohfive

Come down off your pedestal, chief. You are taking the relative quality of the piece and applying your own subjective opinion to it. That's fine.

But just because you did not like the finale, it does not follow that from each and every other possible perspective it must also be terrible and only terrible. You are not the omniscient arbiter of quality, no matter how much you seem to believe you are.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Well, it means it to him. That's really all that matters. You thinking it was great does not change my opinion on the matter. Opinions are funny, you know that from being in the biz. It could be (on paper) a perfect script, and it can bomb and then the suits do what they do.

If opinions didn't mater then we'd be on season 12 of Firefly and Johnny Depp wouldn't be constant recast in the same God damned role in every move he's been in ever.

10. doubleohfive

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on the matter. I was simply pointing out that just because one person hated the show it didn't mean that everyone did.

I appreciate the explanation about how opinions work but it's unnecessary. I'm well aware how they work. :)

11. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Sorry, but you are the one on the pedestal here.

From his perspective - you know, the one that matters to him - the finale was shit. That's the end of it.
    That others liked it or didn't think it was awful, doesn't change his perspective.

And, yes, he IS "the omniscient arbiter of quality" when it comes what he likes about his entertainment and what he doesn't like.

12. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Another vote for terrible here, doubleohfive. I thought it was shit.

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I wish I had the eloquency to elaborate on it, but I'm in the "the finale was terrible" camp, too. It wasn't all bad and had some really nice moments, but (1) destroying Robin/Barney in one episode, (2) letting the mother die like it's no big deal with no time for the audience to grief and (3) having Ted end up with Robin was simply enough for me. I still love the series and the characters, but this finale was utter bullshit and a slap in the face to the fans.

I'm looking forward to what exactly the alternate ending on the DVD will be. Any news on that?

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

They didn't shoot a real alternate ending. They just cut it differently.

So it might not be that much different from the fan made ending on Youtube.

15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Meg Ryan will be the narrator in How I Met Your Father.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I love a good double standard.

17. JarodRussell

That isn't a double standard.

They had a plan. --> fact.
    It was a terrible plan. --> opinion.
    It was a good plan. --> opinion.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was terrible. --> Pretty much nonsense, because "I didn't like it" follows the opinion that "it was terrible". If I didn't think it was terrible, I would like it.

Some people have the opinion: "They had a plan, so that makes it automatically good."
    I disagree with that, because I didn't like their plan. And there we have two disagreeing opinions, and that is fine. Simple as that.

btw... what is this, argument 101? We're now argueing about argueing.

And even if it WERE a double standard, it would be entirely up to you if it's a good or bad double standard. ;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm not entirely sure what that refers to? Does it mean the way things are set up like the Doctor dying and then cheated out of in the ending?

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The writer was mocking Moffat's tendency to write endings that don't fit the preceding story, whether it's the previous forty minutes or forty episodes.