Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

So that's what civil war will be about...

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Cool idea, although I'm more likely to wait for them to appear on Marvel Unlimited to read them.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is unsustainable.

It's a random and inconsistent product.

Pick a historically good selling title from... Oh.

Trades and digital subscriptions are the reprint market, not reprinted periodicals.

They don't make those phone books any more.

Digital subscription is easier for Marvel to make money off.

So Timely is flash advertising to go sign up monkeys to the digital back catalog to read issues 2 through 40, or maybe buy some trades/hard covers.

Clever Marvel, clever.

What they really should do is print half of each issue one.

That'll show the customer base who is boss.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Every individual issue is an incomplete section of a story anyway nowadays...

ATimson likes this.
  8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I like the idea of reviving the Timely name as an imprint, but not to be wasted on reprints.

9. Guy Gardener

(I've actually read the article now, and I'm still not completely sure if this can be what Marvel is selling or some punk doesn't know how to use a comma properly.)

16 titles.
    Each reprint costs $3, and has the first three issues 1 - 3 therein of one specific title, which means it's either a third the price of regular or three times the size of regular. The problem is that some of first printings won't be up to issue #6 when Timely starts reprinting 1 - 3.

1. What is the publication scheduled? Quarterly keeps Marvel behind the first printings and pisses people off into being the single serving pamphlets ahead of time if the Timely book is a week late... Bi-Annually would give them wiggle room in case problems arise with the first printing, and there's significant forewarning if a first run title is going to become cancelled. Can they reprint a book that isn't being printed?

2. Cancellations? If the First print sales suck but the timely reprints are excellent, is Marvel going to cancel the timely reprint to force their zombies to pay more per unit now that they are addicted a little, of cancel the first print since they would rather keep the good sales where they are rather than try to herd zombies and continue on Timely as a first print book. (Alexandra almost fell because herding Zombies is a mugs game.)

3. Survival of the fittest. 16 June titles coming out as reprints of books that started in November/December last year? Sure Timely is much less expensive, especially if the monkeys behind the counter at your local, are already asking US $30 for back issues of All New Avengers #1 (They're not. This is a hypothetical, but if they are: BAD MONKEY!). So if there's 16 books in the first round of Timely books, maybe the plan is to only have 8 of those books have a second issue and only 4 of those titles have an issue 3.

4. Why so cheap? Sure they don't have to pay the creatives gain, and laser printing means that there is no such thing as cheaper paper anymore because the 1940 infrastructure longer exists to print on newsprint... Also how freight works, payment is by weight, to get the comics to weigh less, maybe the comics are half the size? Remember those tiny pint sized TPBS 10 years ago? Is it possible that they could save so much on weight, that it's more profitable to remove the advertising (10 pages?) than to run adverts in these books, and might be why Timely can't be Marvel, so that it's not bound by the inclusive coverall deals Marvel makes with it's sponsors?

4. Colour? I was also told that printing or not printing in colour doesn't make that much difference to price, and since Marvel pays in bulk for printing everything, probably slaved to a yearly contract, it doesn't matter if each book is 15 cents more or less to make than the next title being printed, because it has more or less color in it, if the 60 titles marvel makes each month, their unit cost all eventually gloms together into a single median price point. Again being Not-Marvel, means that Timely can arrange their own deals for printing their titles that would be staggeringly cheaper than regular Marvel if they were where to establish that their total output was completely always black and white, and never colour.

5. Are we sure that there will ever be a second issue to any of these reprint titles? 16 books that come out in a clump that endangers the first run market, the tpb market and the digital market while probably operating at a loss, if these are full sized, colour reprints of books that came out 4 to 6 months ago. New imprint or stunt-event is this?

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm keen to this concept. At $4 a pop, even with an LCS discount, it's what's kept me moving more and more into the "trade wait" category anyway.
    As the article says, and I agree, I'll "gamble" $3 for 3 issues on a few of these.
    Carnage, Inhumans, Dr.Strange, TA Hulk and maybe Venom

The others I either know will survive(DD, Avengers) or I'm just not interested(Web Warriors, Moon Girl) even at this pice point.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

This is for the Standoff crossover? Cool, I'll probably buy it.

13. Guy Gardener

New animated arrivals in the Ultimate Spider-Man Cartoon on TV.

The Scarlet Spider has turned up

"Can of worms!"

Miles Morales has also dimension hopped and joined the Web Warriors.

14. Turtletrekker

I have to admit to being a little awestruck by Waid and Samnee's Black Widow #1. In the past, Natasha's attempts at solo books just haven't worked for me, but as a huge fan of Waid and Samnee's Daredevil run, I was more than willing to give her newest book a shot.

The entire issue is a prolonged chase sequence without much dialogue and is a testament to Chris Samnee's storytelling skills. Don't bemoan the lack of wordage per page count (something I've done) and let the pictures tell the story. Samnee gives Natasha such a wonderfully graceful fighting style with a personality so well-defined that you don't actually realize until the last page that Natasha hadn't said a single word in the entire issue until that page.

On the downside, they don't really give us a lot of context for the chase. Natasha stole something from SHIELD and Director Hill has declared her an enemy to be stopped at all costs. What she stole and why is a story for another issue. The whole issue was a non-stop action sequence.

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i really liked the previous Black Widow solo. haven't had time to read the new Waid series yet.

16. kirk55555

I liked the last BW solo a lot, and I've liked her other solo books in the past. This one...does not start off well. The art is a huge downgrade from the awesome art of the last ongoing, its basically the style of the horrible David Aja from hawkeye, but slightly less cartoony and a bit less terrible. Mark Waid isn't very good either, he's been becoming more and more of a mixed bag as time goes on and this seems like it will be one of his bad books. His recent Agents of SHIELD based book was entertaining, but his All New All Different Avengers book is mediocre and his Daredevil was bad. As for the book itself, this has got to be the 100th time that someone has done a BW story of her

being hunted by SHIELD, and at this point its hard to see something unique or interesting come from this set up

I'll read it for awhile because I'm a fan of the character, but its a huge step down in every area from the recently ended Black Widow ongoing, and so far its the weakest Black Widow solo comic I've ever read when it comes to premise, art and writing.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'll back you up concerning Waid's ANAD Avengers. i thought it was very lacking. in terms of villains and characters interactions. i'm not crazy about Kang manipulating Vision either. we will have to disagree about Waid's Daredevil though. i enjoyed it for the most part.

18. kirk55555

Yeah, I know his Daredevil run is pretty popular, it just never clicked with me at all. I read about two issues, got infuriated by what he did to The Shroud and the general horribleness of the whole

Foggy is fake dead, Matt is in court as Daredevil - The Lawyer [complete with idiotic red suit], etc.

It didn't help that it renumbered in the middle of Waid's run and his second #1 was where I started, but between stuff like that and the art (which I loathe), it definitely isn't a book I could tolerate.

As for ANAD Avengers, I'll admit that my hatred of Ms. Marvel (current version), Jane Thorster, Spider-Boy and Lil' Nova contributes to by dislike of the book, but the overall story is also just lame. I wish DC wasn't so horrible, pre-reboot DC was Waid's best work.

19. Turtletrekker

20. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm wondering if those new Marvel books have enough legs to get to 150 issues anymore like their first volume books?