The only unknown actor from TOS...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

... who is she? The world demands to know.

[​IMG]

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

There is no record of who played Isis the cat as a Human.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

According to various sources, Isis was portrayed by Victoria Vetri.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

She was not. There are no real sources for that. There was one guy on the Internet who suggested it as a possibility, and then some IMDb editor mistook that suggestion for a fact and entered it there as such, and other sites just uncritically repeated what IMDb said without doing any basic fact-checking first. But it's definitely not her. Vetri's face is distinctly different from the actress who played Isis; her features are softer, her eye color is different, and she has a dark speck on the white of one of her eyes that "Isis" did not have.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, the Vetri thing is just a fannish theory that's been repeated so many times now that people take it for granted that it's a fact.

As far as I know, nobody associated with the production of the show has never said anything about Isis being played by Vetri, and Vetri herself has never confirmed it.

6. Christopher

And it's worth repeating that the person who made the initial suggestion never claimed it was anything more than speculation.

7. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

It would help to know which episode this screencap is from. While my knowledge of TOS is wide, I wouldn't say it's so extensive that I can identify an episode from a single pic.

8. Christopher

It took me a moment, but judging from the choker, I'd say she's one of the Scalosians from "Wink of an Eye."

Yep, here she is. The character was called Mira in the Blish adaptation. The performer is unknown, probably just an extra.

9. TREK_GOD_1

Vetri was said to be the actress since the 1970s--the perid where her identity became minor trivia amongst TOS fans. The easiest way to clear that up is to locate the original call sheet for the episode. Obviously,in the pre-internet years, someone had some reason for citing Vetri as the actress.

10. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The woman who played Isis was a former playboy bunny who a few years ago was charged with murdering her husband. I think she is in prison now.

Search4 likes this.
  11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The call sheet, unfortunately, doesn't identify non-speaking or background characters, so it isn't of much use in identifying the character. I waded through the production files for "Assignment: Earth" a while ago and couldn't find anything that named the unbilled performer.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's Victoria Vetri, and again, it's never been confirmed that she played Isis.

This has been hashed out before. As I recall, the whole rumor started because some fan saw a pictorial of Vetri in an old issue of Playboy, thought she looked like Isis, and noted that the timing was more or less right. He posted his theory online, other people ran with it, and pretty soon people who ought to have known better started listing Vetri as Isis in various reference sources. But it was never established by anyone who would know or whom had seen anything official.

In short, we know how this rumor started. And we know that it was just a guess on some fan's part.

(For what it's worth, my girlfriend--who is a professional sculptor specializing in realistic likenesses--has compared Vetri's face to "Isis" and felt sure they weren't the same woman.)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  13. Christopher

Source? I've been a Trek fan since the '70s, and I don't remember ever hearing that.

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In 40 years I've never heard that either, then again there's a lot of trivia here that I never knew.

But looking at side by side head shots? Other than the chin dimple there's not much resemblance.

15. TREK_GOD_1

...and? Were you aware of every bit of Trek trivia or discussion held in that decade, or covered every possible subject? You may not have heard of the Vetri story, but others were aware of it.

16. Christopher

^Which doesn't make the belief any less wrong. The eyes prove it's not Vetri.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Relax.

All he said was he hadn't heard that story.

No reason to get personal.

18. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

Maybe someone should correct the Memory Alpha article.

19. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Vetri and Vetri, what is Vetri?!?" We wandered off the path here. Who is this uncredited guest from "Kirk Scores Again".... uh, I mean "Wink of an Eye"?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If MA can't find out, we might never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.