Repeated odd Yahoo IM messages

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by broberfett, Jan 28, 2011.

1. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    I get a message from a certain screen name multiple times. It starts out like,"Hey." So I respond,"Hi" or "hello." The next response is always the same-"I just took an IQ test on here...pretty cool." and then I say something like I don't remember you or don't know who you are. Then they say,"I got a 113...lol I thought I was smarter then that."

So last time I said something like,"What is your name? I'm leaving if you don't tell me who you are." So they said something like,"I'm gonna get a shower. Take the test while I'm in the shower." No link provided.

So I get it again 5 minutes ago and I immediately decided I would be abusive. After it gets to "I got a 113..." then I say,"I think it was a score of 5 or maybe even 1." Then there was no response at all. Unlike the other times. So this is a bot, but why did it cut off after my rude response?

2. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This happened to me few times also.
    The creepy thing is that couple of times it used some of my friends Yahoo addy..like they supposedly where online, even though they actually where not:confused:

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Sounds like a chatbot to me.

4. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I've only ever got the evil-I'm gonna infect your system-IM'ed links once -apparently someone on here had an infected system and it was trying to pass it on to my computer.

But even from friends and family I don't just click on any ol' link.

I did get a number of increasingly creepy IM's from what appeared to be Russian women a couple of years ago though... it stopped soon after I started typing l33t to them -- I'd start out answering their initial contact attempts with "Wh47 1$ ¥0µr 933|{ (0Ð3?", they'd answer something like: "I'm sorry but I can't read what you're writing" and I'd be all : "7h3n wh¥ 4r3 ¥0µ wr171n9 70 m3"

I rarely got any further and after only a handful of those convos it all stopped :)

ETA: No, I'm not fluent in l33t, but I know how to find an on-line translator ;)