Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBrew, Jan 22, 2010.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's unfortunate - you actually miss out on potential experience if you don't import a character. It's not much, but it can give you an advantage.

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah I would strongly urge you both to play (and complete) the first one before playing ME2.

3. James T.Shepard

James T.Shepard Ensign Newbie

At the Ferderation Citadel. Fighting the BorGeth
    Who else was reminded of the destruction of the Kelvin during the opening sequence of the game? I had a total flashback.

"It's not the Geth!" "It's not Klingon!"

4. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too think it's a good idea to play the first one before the second. It's a good game, but then, I'm a fan so your mileage may vary:)

My copy of ME2 is finally on the way. Hopefully it'll get here in time for the weekend:)

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Mine's pre-loading on Steam as I type. Should be activated on the morrow. I'm a little bit worried that my machine might not be able to run it with an Nvida 8600GT card. I think my machine is just on the edge of not being able to handle new games.

6. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Been playing the game for around 15 hours or so. Love the game so far, wish I didn't have to go to work so I could play more. Combat is better, the clunky inventory system is gone, and there's just a tighter feel to the game.

The only negative thing about the game is the planet scanning. It is very boring and tedious.

7. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, and yet completionist that I am, I still feel compelled to scan every single planet until they're depleted. Damn my gaming OCD! Did the same thing with the first game, and found probably every single deposit with the Mako, using the planet maps on the wiki as a guide. At least doing that though I made a shit ton of XP and money. Pretty much HAVE to do that to reach level 50 in your first play through.

I wish they'd offer a second scanner upgrade that automatically showed you where the "hotspots" are. The tediousness of resource collecting in both games really kill my desire to do repeat playthroughs.

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Not only because you can carry your character from one game to the next but also because ME1 is one of the finest games of this console generation. Even if ME2 didnt exist, it would be a great idea to play ME1

9. Vyse

Completely agree. I would have been happy if they divided the planet into sectors, and told you how many hits there were in each sector. Then it would work a lot better. It is just boring and tedious blindly scanning a planet without knowing how many hits are left.

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah see I always stop scanning planets as soon as the scanners says "poor".

11. Evil Twin

Oh crap, just read on the official forums that the fish in your cabin can die if you don't feed them after like every mission. I fed them once after I got them just for the novelty and never bothered again. Guess I'd better go check on my aquarium when I get home... :lol:

Apparently you can ask Kelly to keep them fed at some point.

12. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah some of my fish died earlier. So I cleaned the tank and got more. ;)

13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Just got to Ilium. That place is just crawling with ME1 references. I think I met or heard from about half a dozen characters from ME1 so far.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Isn't that the name of the Star Wars planet where the Jedi grow their lightsaber crystals?

15. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Close - that's Ilum.

16. Evil Twin

Julia Shepard, Spacer/War Hero/Paragon/Soldier :drool:
    Took this shot when she started inadvertently romancing Garrus and I was like WOAH, wait a minute, sure as hell don't want that. Promptly reloaded and talked to him in a more neutral fashion. Need to keep her free for more potential hot lesbian sex with Liara in the future! :lol: Already turned down Jacob as well.

[​IMG]

17. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, kind of annoyed that I can't carry over my xbox character to the pc version. I was hoping there would be some games for windows cross over there but I guess not. I looked online and saw some save game collections, but I didn't want to play the whole game with someone elses face or name. I'm a couple of hours in and I can already see where having a previous character would matter because people have said things that didn't coincide with my previous play through.

Still worth it I guess, being able to shoot with a mouse makes combat much more fun and less of an awkward slog through molasses. But it makes some of the dumb AI a little more noticeable. Once again though there are tons of places where you know it's a console game, particularly in the menus and the lack of being able to use the scroll wheel to scroll through mission text. Aside from the awesome opening segment the game has been kind of a typical bioware game. The lack of real character customization and gear kind of hurts the game for me, whereas DragonAge had a good amount of both. It's arleady starting to feel tedious. The story isn't interesting so far, the benefits to leveling up are kind of boring, and the gear choices are minimal. There's just not much of a reason to play on other than to hope for some more interesting story.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just picked up my copy from HMV £34.99, in store deal until January 30th :techman: I can't wait to play this later...I am hoping this becomes my first ever 9.5 rating game

19. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

Looks like I won't be playing either anytime soon -- my 360 has just died for the third time, less than a week after getting it back from being repaired the second time!! :scream:

20. Vyse

Yeah, I'm on like my 6th or 7th 360. It's ridiculous. I went through three in a matter of weeks at one point. I imagine my store got a bad shipment.

The dilemma I face now is that I just got the three red lights on my current console this morning before heading to work. I have been saving for a new Mac, but I'm not sure if I want to take money away from that. I could send it in to MS for repair, since the red ring of death is covered. I just don't want to go without playing Mass Effect 2 for a few weeks! First the DVD drive stopped working well, I was just going to replace that myself, but now that I got the red ring of death I'm not sure. I'm really into Mass Effect 2, if this happened a few weeks ago, I would have just sent the thing in for repair. Decisions, decisions, lol. :wtf: