Halloween Costume Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by thestrangequark, Oct 2, 2009.

1. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Damn. I completely missed it! Excellent though. I love the spark plugs you sneaked in there.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, mostly. I have a paintball handgun holster that I am using for the TOS phaser. The communicator one I am having problems with. There isn't a good pouch that I can find that I like that is the proper size.

Yeah, I am mix and matching. Assuming it arrives and properly fits, I am wearing a NuTrek uniform, but am using TOS tech (mainly because I like the look of it better than the NuTrek tech).

I'll make sure to take a pic and post it to show what I have so far.

BTW, a Blues Brother Klingon sounds awesome.

3. AstroSmurf

^ And when asked why he was alone, the Blues Brother Klingon said that he had killed his partner because he had "dishonored the memory of the great warrior John Belushi." :rommie:

Have you tried finding a pocket holster for a cellphone, specifically something wide like a Blackberry? I would think that it would be large enough to hold the DS Communicator. If not, you could always make your own out of some black canvas. It would be two pieces of fabric and one seam. Very simple, like sewing a pocket.

4. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you looked at compact digital camera pouches? I have one made by Lowepro that fits my communicator perfectly. They don't make my model anymore but, it's a very common size. This assumes you don't mind completely enclosing the communicator when it is on your belt, it's safer that way.

5. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

I made a promise to a friend of mine that I would be spiderman, since she is being venom, and our friend chris is being carnage... but I don't really want to be spiderman... So far we haven't been able to find me a spiderman costume, and if we can't within the next week, I'm going to be the Phantom of the Opera. I'm even going to do the makeup for under the mask... I've got my fingers crossed that we can't find any spiderman costumes! :D

That Borg costume is amazing!

6. AstroSmurf

If you can find the Spiderman costume with the muscle suit that might alleviate some the anxiety about wearing the costume. (I wouldn't be caught dead in just the spandex version. I am beginning to show my age and things are not exactly where they are supposed to be anymore. And this coming from someone who used to dance in a cage for beer money in college.)

Excellent. I hadn't thought of that.

7. Broccoli

I did, actually. I checked Wal-Mart to see what they had. They had one that was a little too big and another that was a little too small. Ideally, I would want one were it fits comfortably and the top is exposed for easy access (yes, yes, I know...it's just a toy. Mr. Spock isn't going to "really" be calling me).

I suppose if I could get the one that is a bit too small and stretch the hell out of it. Then I can remove the top flap, but I don't have faith enough in my sewing skills to fix up the tear that would be made.

8. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I started in earnest on my T-1000 costume last weekend. I found some nice black dress slacks at Target for $20 and ordered a black "close enough" utility shirt that unfortunately won't ship until the 15th.

I pinched some papier mache from a co-worker and am trying to mold some bullet hits that I can spray-paint and sew onto the costume. I'll try to get a picture or two up once the papier mache dries.

9. CmdrAJD

CmdrAJD Commodore Commodore

I don't normally dress up, but this year we're going to a Halloween party at my in-laws' house. I ended up buying a Rorshach costume. That way, since I'll be out of town and around a bunch of people I don't know, it will be perfectly in character for me not to say much except "Hrmmm."

10. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

Oh I'm 20, spandex isn't a problem for me at all. I just would rather a costume that I am actually interested in. Spiderman is HER thing, not mine. I don't want to waste a halloween on something I'm not into.

Beginning to show your age? The fairy costume was last year you said, correct? You look like a young, in-shape guy to me... I don't think spandex would be as much of a problem as you think. ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  11. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Okay, I've decided on a TWOK costume. I just ordered this off EBAY.

[​IMG]

12. Broccoli

Ugh...I ordered a NuTrek gold shirt from Saratoga Depot (anyone ever hear of them) and it arrived today. It was a small, because I am a small guy and I can not find the smalls in any store. Anyway, there was a very noticeable mark/stain right in the center of the shirt (also, oddly, one the sleeves was noticibly darker than the rest of the shirt).

Now, it is looking that I have to send it back (probably have to pay for shipping top). I hope they have another small and I get it by Halloween.

Update: I emailed the company. They are going to send me a brand new one, free of charge. And, get this, they are letting me keep the old one! Saratoga Depot, good people.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  13. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about a mini-binocular case? Just tuck the flap inside. Mine's a Bushnell
    [​IMG]

14. AstroSmurf

What? People aren't posting about their costumes!? For shame!

Well I have something to post: my completed pants. I had almost finished them a couple of weeks ago but I found some new pictures that showed the knee detail a little better. So I ripped out the seams, redid the ribbing, added a another seam I had missed and presto! They are now almost an exact copy of the ones seen in the movie. I even pulled off the belt loops and dyed the little buggers so they were the correct charcoal grey. The only issues with them is the buttons on the back pockets and a seam above the rubbing that I was forced to put in. (The image below doesn't do them justice. The flash makes the seaming look a lot brighter than it actually is.)

Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

And an example of the actual movie pants:

[​IMG]

And I am currently working on the chest delta insignia. I am making her, from scratch, from sheet styrene. Then it is on to finishing the shirt. I hope to post more pictures very very soon!

Anyone else have anything?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  15. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Can I make a comment about hoping someone gets close enough to your pants to notice this discrepancy? ;)

But seriously bro, you've got mad skills, I'm envious, I'm still working on my glove/gauntlet things. I've almost figured out this sewing machine.

16. AstroSmurf

^ You can say what ever you want. :devil:

And sewing machines are like driving a car, very simple once you get the hang of it.

17. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

I really want to learn to sew. There are so many things I'd love to be able to do. Not necessarily "complicated" stuff like clothing, but relatively simple things like curtains or a bed for my pooches.

I was in the fabric store last weekend shopping for pieces for my Halloween costume, and I was amazed how inexpensive fabric can be. It cost me $1.58 for 2 yards of blue fabric for the cape of my UnderDog costume. I was amazed. ;)

Maybe that should be a winter project: turn in the table saw for a sewing class. :p

18. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Sewing for those kinds of projects is not at all difficult. You could easily teach yourself and then work up from there.

19. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Sewing is one thing I am completely disastrous at. I actually was such a remedial sewing student that I had to get a boy to help me in class, and then had to stay after school every day because I was just so awful and slow. I managed to sew a button back onto a shirt this year and I was overjoyed.

If I ever have a great deal of free time, I'd love to get a sewing machine and just keep practicing until I'm not stitching things to my fingers, but that would take me way too long right now. :(

20. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I've never had an occasion where I could actually wear such a costume. You guys all have amazingly cool costumes.