VOY: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jan 19, 2014.

?

Rate Protectors.

1. Outstanding

36 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Above Average

46 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. Average

8 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Exactly 16 month after the The Eternal Tide - well-received but arguably more hotly debated than previous installments - Voyager's Captain Beyer returns with the next chapter in the series, Protectors. I have a feeling it will address many of the voiced concerns in interesting ways; Ms. Beyer has demonstrated a knack for attacking such things head-on and mining them for story potential instead of passing over them.

On to you, official blurb:

In other good news, Simon & Schuster are finally putting excerpts on their website again. Here you go: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Star-Trek-Voyager-Protectors/Kirsten-Beyer/9781476738543/excerpt

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the first Trek Lit I've pre-orderd. I'll finally get to read one when it comes out and not weeks, months, or years later. Very excited.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

A surprisingly lengthy excerpt, too. Very nice. :)

Greatly looking forward to this.

4. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I will download this when it becomes available on ebook. I'm interested in what happens to Janeway. Not a big Voyager fan, but I like Janeway and Kirsten Beyers books are usually good. :cool:

5. black_dranzer

black_dranzer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Judging by the excerpt, I can tell this is going to be another of those books where I read through it all in one day because it's so good, then get sad immediately afterwards that I didn't stretch it out for longer :(

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I am waiting for the download. I would be surprised if Janeway does not return to the Delta Quadrant before the end of the book.

7. star trek

star trek Lieutenant Red Shirt

I hope Beyer doesn't end the new voyager books with Voyager being the only remaining ship of the Delta quadrant fleet. It seems too cheesy to me.

I was hoping to look forward to seeing them encounter the Kazon or Devore. How would they react when they encounter a small fleet of Federation ships instead of the one science vessel. It's a shame the ships are getting destroyed left and right.

As good as Beyer's books are I wish she wrote more about the races and civilizations Voyager encountered in the episodes. The Videans what are they like now?, What happened to the Borg rebellion led by Korok (unimatrix zero and Axom), What about the human transplanted colony?, or the world populated by groups of severed borg? There's so many obvious good and interesting things to draw on I don't know why she doesn't use it. Maybe possibly in a few years time.

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Very excited for this one. 16 months in between installments is too much :scream:. The excerpt was pretty good, especially the scene with Hugh Cambridge. He's become one of my favorite treklit original characters alongside Elias Vaughan. I can't wait to see what else is going on with my favorite trek-family. Preordered!

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I only read books on Kindle these days; the next week of waiting is gonna suck.

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The excerpt does indeed whet the appetite in a straightforward way. I like that.

Looking forward to this.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm so stoked. I've got a gut feeling this is going to be the best Voyager novel yet. I read everything post The Farther Shore last year in a binge.

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

It would be hard to top Children of the Storm, which is a top 3 all time Trek novel for me (with Wildfire and Raise the Dawn). But I'd certainly love to be proven wrong :)

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure this was addressed in Greater Than the Sum
    This was addressed in The Eternal Tide.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  14. star trek

star trek Lieutenant Red Shirt

You may be right. It's been a long time since I read the books.

15. DEWLine

I'll be picking this one up tomorrow or Friday, if my bookseller's straight with me. And they usually are. ;-)

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Mine arrived yesterday and I have my protection ready for "Protectors":

[​IMG]
    The Penetrator by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
    "To boldly glow where no one's gone before!"

17. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Wow. I didn't know Andorian physiology was so exotically shaped. :vulcan:

And don't you mean to "to glow where nobody has shone before"? :rommie:

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dang, for the last few months I was able to order my TrekLit more then ten days before the official release. Now, the site I always order my TrekLit from hasn't got this yet. :(

19. DEWLine

Okay. Burned my way through the book today. Thankfully, not literally, but certainly a lot of speed was involved. Somehow, attention to detail was not adversely affected by this.

Pleased with this installment for the most part, although there may be detail-quibbling later on in this shared discussion. Resolutions of some aspects of things provided, other things begun that I look forward to reading up on in due course.

20. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

I've read about half of Protectors (certain sections lol), and all I can say is, oh, now have to wait maybe a year until next book comes out (yes of course author can only write so fast, but still...)! Guess Voyager fans & novels = be patient.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014