Tomorrow: 20 Years Ago

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a 4-minute trailer from 1992, narrated by voice over legend Don LaFontaine:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTX5qwjqQ8M[/yt]

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It's conversations like this that make me aprieciate the first generation TOS fans like my mom and her sister, both sadly, now deceased. I missed TOS when it was on NBC, but was 17 when TNG came out and 23 when DS9 premiered.

23??:wtf:

Who the hell stole the time??

Actually, I was still 22, since DS9 began airing in January, and my birthday is not until April, but my point is still valid.....

I'm getting long in the tooth......

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Only nine?

That means you are now the age I was when DS9 ended.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I was a little over 18 when DS9 premiered and had turned 13 just a month after NEXT GEN debuted in the fall of '87.

5. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

I came into DS9 quite late in the game. Although both of my parents watched and liked TNG, I was forbidden to watch DS9 because they considered it a "soap opera" (general anti-DS9 opinion). My older sister had overriding TV privileges and, as she considers Star Trek to be "gay" (general anti-Trek opinion), would insist on watching anything else. Usually Home & Away.

Somewhere along the way I was allowed to watch my first DS9 episode, which wound up being "Little Green Men" -- not the best first episode to watch. My second chance to watch it didn't come until "Rules of Engagement", which was quite hard going. It wasn't until BBC2 were showing late season 5 that I got to watch it regularly, when I went to my grandparents' after school on a Thursday. I filled in most of the early episodes through repeats over the next few years and then bought season 7 on video when it came out. I'm not sure I'd even seen every episode until last year when I bought all the DVDs!

6. lonewriter

lonewriter Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's hard to believe its been 20 years, I remember watching it and loved it. It was my favorite Trek show.

7. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for posting that. Anybody notice there is a TNG shuttlecraft at 02:56? I don't remember that ever appearing in DS9. I wonder if it is footage from a TNG episode.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I don't recognize the shot from any early Season 1 DS9 episode, so yeah it's almost certainly an f/x recycle from TNG to pad out the trailer. Even in the theatrical trailer to Generations about two years later Paramount reused TNG clips to fill gaps left by the film's then-incomplete visual effects.

Paramount loves to cut corners where it can. Can't say I blame them, though there are times when it's painfully obvious and even a little laughable. The Starship Bozeman emerging from the temporal rift in Generations....really?

9. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How many times have we seen that one Bird of Prey explode? TUC, Generations, DS9, and Voyager all used it. Someone should make a video of all the times it's been seen exploding.

Thanks for posting that trailer.

10. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Wow, has it been 20 years already? I haven't watched an episode of DS9 in a while, so I just finished watching Emissary to celebrate the anniversary. It's my favourite of the Star Treks and it still holds up nicely. :techman:

Same here. Don't recall which episode I started with, but I'm pretty sure it was late season 2 or season 3. Watched it straight to the end from there.

Chris3123, thanks for posting that trailer.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Boy did that bring back some memories. Thanks for posting it, even though it felt like the showed the entire pilot episode in that trailer. That's how you slim down 90 minutes down to 4.

12. Odo

Odo Commander Red Shirt

I first saw DS9 around 1998, back in grade school. I had always been a Trek fan, my dad being a TOS fan, while I had also enjoyed TNG. A friend of mine, who was a huge TNG fan and was trying to get me to play the Trek card game with him, showed me Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast. It really spoke to my sensibilities, even back then, of themes and structure (the episodes connecting more as opposed to being stand alones like TNG or TOS).

I started watching reruns the next year on some obscure channel, around the time they were showing In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light and was HOOKED. When the DVDS came out I bought them immediately and caught up with the show, while still seeing it sometimes on Spike. I then proceeded to get my cousin and my brother into, and later my dad, and even later my fiancee, all of whom consider it one of their favorite shows, especially my cousin and fiancee.

It remains not only my favorite Trek, but my favorite TV show to this day. Thanks to everyone involved with the show and Happy Birthday to DS9!

13. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

I'm shocked that its been 20 years! I can remember watching the first episode with my family. I was 10 when it came on and at the time I was a huge TNG fan. I think like a lot of fans I didn't give DS9 a chance in the early years. I don't remember watching it beyond the first episode. Once TNG went off the air I started watching DS9 mainly because I didn't want to miss my weekly hit of Trek. I started to like it but it wasn't until Way of the Warrior aired that I really fell for the show.

DS9 was and is my favorite of the Trek spin-offs. One of the reasons I love the show so much is the fact that at the end of the day it's about character. These characters grew and were fleshed out during 7 seasons and never under utilized. The writers took chances and not every episode had the happy 'everything is wrapped up in a bow' ending that the other spin-offs seemed to do often.

I still think 20 years since it first aired, DS9 doesn't get the respect it deserves. If TNG brought sci-fi into the mainstream for much of the 90s, I think DS9 played a big role in the change towards the more complex character-arc based sci-fi of today.

It also makes me sad that it's very hard to find DS9 reruns on TV these days. Here in Canada, it's still pretty easy to find TOS, TNG and VOY but DS9 hasn't been rerun in a long time. I'm hoping the show does eventually make it to blu ray and allow a new generation of fans to get hooked!

14. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Watched it all thru High School and into College. Great Trek series, with the best story arcs:bolian:

15. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

DS9 is one the great sci-fi shows ever, anywhere. and one of the most underrated too.

I think though it's concept was counter-productive. Perhaps it's ratings would have been higher had it been a starship show, and not a space station show. I think that turned a lot of people off it.

That said, a great show, as aforecited one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

16. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ It wouldn't have made much sense to have two starship series going at the same time.

17. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was so excited to see trektoday.com making note of the anniversary. Then I saw several comments below the article from some guy talking about how awful DS9 was. This guy claims there are only two episodes worth watching. He later admitted he only actually watched 2 episodes (...the two he claimed were "worth watching"). I usually just ignore trolls, but this one just made my head explode! Haha! Anyway, I love this show and I'm hoping blurays are coming soon! Happy anniversary, DS9! I've enjoyed reading all of your comments!