NFL 2014-2015 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The preseason is over, the 53 man rosters get set this weekend, and I'm in two fantasy leagues getting ready for next week. It's about time they finally kicked it off.

Not entirely happy with the 49ers preseason, but hopefully they turn it on against Dallas. I really did want to see the first offense play a series last night, just to see if they can get in gear. I know it's preseason, but when your first offense doesn't get a touchdown all preseason, that is a little concerning. Anyway, season kicks off next Thursday. I can't wait.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm a Cowboys fan but I gotta believe that the Niners will be just fine against Dallas. A really bad Cowboy defense just had a disastrous pre-season. Two DB's popped for performance enhancing drugs and the guy they drafted to start on the D-Line broke his foot in mini-camp. Basically the same defense as last year minus Demarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher. Fuck, just typing that has me depressed.

Romo appears to be healthy but the odds of him surviving the season are slim to none.

Hey, maybe we'll get Adrian Peterson!

/ducks.

3. tomalak301

Aldon Smith suspended 9 games by the league. I'm fine with this penalty, if it wasn't for the whole Ray Rice thing earlier this month. I'm glad they are clearing things up with the new Domestic violence issue, but Rice is still getting a slap on the wrist and that's not right.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Man, y'all need to start being more creative with thread titles.

NFL 2014-15: ARE YOU READY FOR SOME BORTLES?!?!

5. tomalak301

As admin you can change it if you want but isn't Bortles on the sidelines to start the year?

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

NFL 2014-15: Now You're Thinking with Bortles! :techman:

7. Timby

Perhaps, but I'm still laughing over Bortles being chosen third overall ... plus, you know his name. Bortles.

Bortles.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Why?

9. tomalak301

It doesn't have to do with the fact that it rhymes with turtle and you have the whole teenage mutant ninja turtles thing, does it?

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

If only LaMichael James got traded to the Jaguars...

11. Timby

Racking up crazy numbers as a quarterback at UCF is essentially akin to playing an NCAA PlayStation game with God Mode turned on.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

:shrug:

I think at the time Jacksonville felt he was the best choice. All the other top quarterbacks all had "concerns," and they were desperate. Most of the league seemed to fear Manziel was going to be a bust, (And early signs are certainly pointing that way.) and there was the huge overreaction to Bridgewater's pro day, for which I couldn't be more ecstatic. So I think the Jags keyed in on Bortles pretty early, and there was no way he was going to make it to the second.

And I've always though the "competition" argument was always a bit weak. Either the guy can make the throws, or he can't. Does he have a lot to learn? Yes. But I think he can still be a solid quarterback. That said, at the end of the day I think Carr, Garoppolo, and Bridgewater are going to be the best of the class, but assuming he doesn't fall apart in the worst franchise in professional sports, I think he'll be pretty solid.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Anyone want to comment on Michael Sam getting cut? I don't think it's all that surprising. The Rams weren't the team that really needed his position. In the end, there were just others that beat him out. Shame, but nothing more than a football decision.

14. Timby

He was always a long shot to stick with St. Louis, considering how deep they are at DE (and Ethan Westbrooks is a monster). That being said, he did well enough for himself this preseason that I fully expect him to wind up on a 53-man roster somewhere -- he has enough tools that it wouldn't shock me to see the Patriots take a flyer on him.

15. 1001001

I think the Rams gave him a fair shot, and yes they made a football decision. I was rooting for the kid because...well, just because. But DE is one place where the Rams are pretty healthy.

I also think they gave him enough opportunity and exposure that some team will pick him up.

If not, the Rams will put him on the practice squad.

16. BuckBokai

BuckBokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

Surprised no one made a waiver claim for Sam but if he doesn't get signed somewhere I definitely agree he will wind up on the Rams practice squad. It's a good situation for him this year as he can learn from some experienced guys and I could see another team with a need for depth on their 53 man roster possibly making a move for him later in the season.

17. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Sam to join the Cowboys practice squad. Considering that the Cowboys defense consists of traffic cones he might actually see the field at some point this season.

18. Timby

Wes Welker getting busted for popping Molly -- at the fucking Kentucky Derby, no less -- that was cut with amphetamines is the pièce de résistance of the NFL offseason. I hope tomorrow's quiet because this should be the event that ends the offseason.

19. 1001001

FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer:

:techman:

20. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Things are getting exciting in Seattle! I'm just watching the pregame news reports and some downtown lots are charging $120 to park for the event!

I have to admit, I'm a little nervous after the exhibition games and the 'Hawks only winning half. Then again I think most of the starters are still in place so shaking out the newer players and the lower stringers was probably more important.

No team has ever gone to the post season following a Super Bowl win, does anyone think the Seahawks can break that trend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.