Why was the Enterprise so easily conquered in Rascals?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Overlord, Oct 12, 2012.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't it seem like the Enterprise was rather easily conquered by the Ferengi in Rascals? Why was the Enterprise so easily conquered in that episode?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Because the script said so. :p

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much. I love that later on in DS9 Odo makes fun of Worf for letting the Ferengi so easily take it over when he question's Odo's faults as security chief. :p

4. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

Why didn't their comm badges and rank pips get smaller along with their uniforms? :p

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were already over budget with the child sized uniforms that they were using recycled battle footage. :p

6. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

Rascals is, without question, the worst episode of TNG of all time. The crew come across like idiots. I mean, they can defeat the borg but they can't defeat an old Bird of Prey full of Ferengi?

Rubbish.

7. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

It was written as a comedic romp. One reason the Ferengi were used instead of the Cardassians as the writers said they considered.

I once suggested tweaking the effects by doubling the number of BOPs to four and having the Enterprise destroy two in combat before succumbing.

that at least would make the Enterprise defeat conceivable perhaps.

8. Genesis

Genesis Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah, this episode was completely ridiculous. I just watched it not long ago because I'm having my bad guys commandeer the Enterprise-D in my fanfic piece and I was hoping to use it as a guide. I . . . was left speechless, lol. Think I'll have to second Jon1701's motion of it being the worst episode of TNG. Shades of Grey was bad, but it has nothing on this when it comes to pure lack of logic. It fails as humor too, because it's not funny, just stupid.

What were the writers thinking?!

9. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked it.

The Ferengi had guile (to borrow from Peak Performance).

10. kolibri

kolibri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually love Rascals. No shame. It's silly and cute and eminently watchable. I don't get how people count it among Shades of Gray or every Troi episode ever as the cream of the crap.

Besides, how many holodeck malfunctions were there? You'd think they'd be smart enough after the first few to just quit using the damn thing, but no. Maybe the crew of the Enterprise just isn't as bright as we like to think they are. I find the idea of the Ferengi outsmarting them on a bad day quite plausible. :lol:

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

When they appear on the transporter pad they're in bulky uniforms. Uniforms not having the age-cells or whatever they wouldn't get smaller. The REAL question is why when they were aged-up weren't their uniforms all ripped up like the Hulk's clothes?

12. Fastwalker

Fastwalker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I enjoyed Rascals episode. It was, like someone said earlier, a romp episode. Not to be take. Seriously. I particularly enjoyed little picard being embarrassed at first, then using it for tactical advantage.

The whole spiel about how easy it was for Ferengi to take over E-D is nothing new. If the script and budget demanded it, thats how it goes. It still pisses me off. I still yell at the TV. But there's nothing we can do except yell and bitch about. Then toss that BS out of the airlock.

Maybe one day Starfleet will teach its members about REAL strategies, tactics, CQB, armed/unarmed combat, etc, etc. Like Away Team knows there's danger down in the planet. Why not have your phasers at the ready and everyone face in a different direction? DUMBASSES!

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^They actually do that in BOBW whden they beam over to the Borg vessel if memory serves.

14. Fastwalker

Fastwalker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

^ yes, they did. And how well did that away mission go? Initially safe. Why not do the same technique each time trouble is expecting? Instead of beaming down like idiots and letting their weapons get stolen before they know it. Oh hell. Why not do the same technique when entering the unknown? Dealing with the Fog of War is a very dangerous business.

Either way, whoever was directing those shows just didnt want to use precaution for one reason or another. <shrug>

15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

When did that happen?

...Well, it sort of happened to the Klingons in "Day of the Dove". But to our heroes?

Timo Saloniemi

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember enjoying it at the time, but now find it a little TOO silly and contrived.

And the blatant reuse of the space battle from Yesterday's Enterprise is annoying as hell.

17. Genesis

Genesis Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One good reason not to beam down with weapons drawn is because anyone who's there would consider it an aggressive gesture and probably start shooting. Fights would start which could otherwise have been avoided.

Obviously, in Best of Both Worlds, it was rather too late not to start a fight.

And I don't consider doing a farce to be an excuse to throw out all previously established world-building logic. I love some of the funny episodes of TNG. But I can't be amused by something when I'm busy shouting, "But that could NEVER EVER happen!" If they wanted to do something funny and were out of ideas, they should've just gone with "More Trouble With Tribbles".

18. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Because while no-one minds a semi-clad Michelle Forbes and everyone likes partly unrobed Asian women (not that Rosalind Chao ain't easy on the eyes), and Patrick Stewart appeals to a certain section of fandom who also have lots of posters of Mark Harmon in their bedrooms... there's the Whoopi factor to consider.

Wasn't going to happen.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, the only person we see actually go through the transporter to be re-aged is Picard. We should have seen him stepping onto the pad in the bulky adult uniform (which, of course, raises the question on whether or not the transporter could properly "age" him while also making sure he was fit in the uniform correctly) or in a loose-fitting gown. There's the "for TV" aesthetic, of course, of having Picard stepping off the pad in full, well-fitting, uniform but the logic of it doesn't make sense. The transporter accident de-aged them, not shrunk them. The reverse was doing the same thing.

20. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plot-induced incompetence. The bane of any good TV show.