STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw: And that's just for a matinee where I am!

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Such as a not-even-one term US Senator elected as POTUS?

3. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I said before, initially I enjoyed ST 2009. But it wore off fast. They did not write a story with characters I could care about. Other movies have been able to that.

4. ConRefit79

Big difference in winning a popularity contest and earning promotion in the military.

5. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

It wore off fast because you initially have monkeys in your back that prevent you from enjoying it fully. [sybok]That's why...you need to let go of your pain [/sybok]

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Of course leading the free world and the most powerful military and economy ON EARTH is such a cake-walk right?

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

True. It's MUCH more difficult to become the US president.

8. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact is that they both had to DO something to get the job.

(yes, I know, reality/fiction).

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Okay, that's an avatar I want to see (even if it has to get off his lawn.)

10. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trust me, there's no where to go but UP from this moment...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQA-06kSLU[/yt]

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

100% at Rotten Tomatoes--take a snapshot, someone! :)

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The Guardian, 4 out of 5:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/may/01/star-trek-into-darkness

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Didn't say anyone did.

But some fans showed a lack of respect for James' efforts, people defended those efforts and his right to interpret Star Trek in his own vision - and then he demonstrated a similar/louder lack of respect for JJ's efforts.

Not so IDIC, eh?

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I hate relentless, dumb, action movies with little character development.

I enjoyed "Star Trek (2009)" and "Star Trek Into Darkness".

Definitely.

When I found TMP at 21, it became my mission to explore TOS. And TAS.

Interestingly, some TNG fans didn't feel the need to explore everything that had gone before. A strange phenomenon that hit that young sector of fandom was when "Doctor Who" went into hiatus. A lot of those displaced fans jumped to TNG, as demonstrated by the renaming of "Doctor Who Bulletin", to "DWB", to "Dream Watch Bulletin", and its widening in scope from "Doctor Who" articles to general SF media articles (and a huge amount of TNG coverage).

As I mentioned before, our ST club lost a lot of original members (from the early 70s) when ST IV came out in 1986 and they dismissed it angrily/sadly as what they called "the dumbing down of 'Star Trek' for the masses." For others, it was their favourite ST movie, and its financial and critical success greenlit TNG.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Captain Kirk promoted to Admiral Kirk demoted to Captain Kirk promoted to Admiral Kirk demoted to Captain Kirk.

Real world militaries don't work like that either yet we've survived. Somehow...

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That analogy is bad, and you should feel bad.

A three year cadet of the naval academy becoming commanding officer of an aircraft carrier after one mission, that's the better analogy.

There's a crisis in Japan, but the entire fleet is in the Mediterranean Sea. So they equip several cruisers and aircraft carriers with a bunch of cadets to rush to the emergency in Japan. A rogue cadet who has been suspended illegally boards one of the aircraft carriers, makes his way to the bridge and confronts the commanding officer. He gets promoted to first officer and leads a mission to stop a terrorist weapon. The commanding officer gets captured by the terrorists, the rescue fleet is completely destroyed, and Tokyo is nuked. The second in command exiles the rogue cadet on a deserted island just because they have a difference in opinion. The cadet meets an engineer who got exiled as well. They steal a helicopter and get back on the aircraft carrier. They are brought to the bridge, where the cadet annoys the XO so much that he suffers a major nervous breakdown. After that, everyone is totally perplexed, and the CADET has to take command.
    They then proceed to stop the terrorists to nuke San Francisco. The cadet and the XO board the terrorist ship and destroy it.
    And then, the cadet gets promoted to commanding officer of the aircraft carrier. Because in that one mission he proved his capability to manage an entire aircraft carrier, and because the fleet apparently ran out of ships and officers.

The story is beyond stupid.

What makes it even funnier is that Kirk gets demoted again after Pike realizes how stupid it was to put him into the Captain's chair so soon.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fan since 1966 here.

Don't care.

Not even a tiny bit.

In fact, I decree that henceforth the acronym "IDIC" shall stand for I Don't Infinitesimally Care.

19. ConRefit79

What's sad is this sends the wrong message to young people. We're already seeing people leaving college who think it's an automatic ticket into their career. Only they learn the hard way that,with very few exceptions, everyone starts at the bottom.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heaven forbid. :rolleyes:

Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg, Turner, Lauren, Ellison, Geffen...

Yeah, yeah, all famous exceptions. Well, the most successful woman I know personally has a GED.

America, at least, has put such an exaggerated emphasis on educational credentialing that it's become counterproductive.

What's the "right message to send to young people:" spend four years piling up $100,000 worth of non-dischargable debt in exchange for an entry-level ticket to a desk in a cube farm?

It's a movie. IDIC.