THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jackson put a little Robert E. Howard in The Lord of the Rings, now he's putting some Time Bandits in The Hobbit.
    Could be worse, can't resist watching.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. I always said that Jackson is kind of ripping off himself. The man can't do anything new. By doing this film he's catering to his own limitations as a film-maker. It's a very safe move for him.

3. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I wasn't talking to you.."

OK I laughed...

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

That looks sweeeeeeeeeet... :D

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfair statement. Let's not forget that Guillermo del Toro was supposed to direct these films and when things were falling apart it was Peter Jackson who stepped in and saved the Hobbit's ass even though he hadn't wanted to return as a Director. That being said, what he does on these films is nothing short of Trojan work and makes for some very fine fantasy films. He looks set to stun us all again.
    In short, he's no George Lucas.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Of course, I know about the change in directors. It's largely irrelevant. Nothing I said is unfair. Let's not forget that he was going to produce this thing even when Del Toro was gonna direct it. Films go through changes in development, and what matters is what we end up with. It's been well over a decade since Jackson has made a film based on an original idea. That might not be his thing, but it really shows his limitations when he goes back to LOTR because it worked the first time. Yes, he's like Lucas in his refusal to challenge himself now. The original LOTR trilogy was a huge, challenging undertaking. This was challenging only to the effect that it hits all the same beats as a production. By the way, I'll bet you Del Toro would have stuck to the simplicity of the story and kept it to one, maybe two films. Jackson has a huge ego and an inability to check his fat ego at the door. If he had, his King Kong wouldn't have been as bloated as it was.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd let a dude do what the dude wants to do.

9. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I seem to remember a certain George Lucas film with a very impressive trailer... ;)

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Problem of that film wasn't the execution so much as the story and characters. Execution here looks great and the story is known. ;)

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

And Steven Spielberg was producer on Transformers. Did he have any effect on how those films turned out?

You could say the same for Spielberg since he made films that were sequels, based on true stories or on novels. But original can be what the Director puts into it himself.

Which will probably be a very good film.

As I originally said, he stepped in to Direct as things were going tits up on the project and he didn't want to see that happen. I don't see that as a refusal to challenge himself.

It was going to be two.

What??
    You really dislike this guy....

Im guessing you'd probably find another reason to say he had a fat ego no matter what he did.

Well I see him as a film maker with a genuine interest and love for the films he makes. That doesn't make him a perfect film maker but at least he wants to make a film for reasons other than making as much cash as possible and not giving a shit about source material.

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I plan to enjoy the movies.. PJ's career arc is his problem, not mine. :p

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Agreed.

I really enjoyed the trailer - the depiction of Middle Earth, the characters, Martin Freeman's performance ... the music! My only concern (and it's not a huge, hand-wringing one) is the juxtaposition of the more whimsical Hobbit elements (the slapstick comedy, for example) with the more serious LOTR-inspired tone. As much fun as it was, those two elements aren't exactly in harmony in the trailer. Hopefully, with more room to breathe, they'll work better in a full-length setting.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks a little too much like LOTR for my taste, but should still be good.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks great, I can't wait.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Galadriel calling Gandalf "Mithrandir!" Elrond! Sylvester McCoy as Radagast! Tom, Bert, and Bill! Wargs done properly! And so much more!

I can't wait! :D

17. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks pretty good for a Kiwi film. :techman:

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

You know what? It probably will be a pretty good movie. That remains to be seen. Even if it is, it changes nothing about the truth of what I said. He's a decent talent in an industry that's desperate for talent and instead of going boldly forward, he's going backwards.. and the 48 fps 3-D crap is all gimmicks and can't replace originality in film-making. t

My mom eventually saw the LOTR films on DVD and she liked them. But her memories are with the Hobbit,, a short simple story that allowed her to to enter another world when taking breaks from caring for her kids. She'd been looking forward to the film, but I'm not sure if she would be up for sticking it out for three films. Interesting, how the cash cow idea that they had to string this along might backfire for some of their target audience.

19. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

They should screen this and Bad Taste back to back.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That was fucking awesome. Looks like it'll be fun.

BTW, did they call it Erebor in the Hobbit or just the Appendices of the Lord of the Rings?