Star Trek-Planet of the Apes #2
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Clark Details Trek Books

Takei To Appear On Wits

Retro Review: Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang
By: Michelle on Jan 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 28 2014, 04:59 PM   #61
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Nemesis - The Deluxe Edition Soundtrack from Varèse Sar

This has nothing to do with "feeling entitled" or anything else. I don't buy the soundtracks. I came here to give my two cents on the production process, of which was already being discussed and debating as to why the studios didn't release the full albums to begin with. I came here to add a little clarity to the situation. Nothing more, nothing else.

I find that your personal attacks are unwarranted and would respectfully ask that we keep a civil tone and contribute to the topic at hand (the new Nemesis expanded soundtrack) rather than derailing the thread any further.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 06:15 PM   #62
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

My understanding of why complete scores are not released was due to the fact of limited media space many many years ago. The music was chosen to fit on the media and arranged in suites to sound better. Different takes and arrangements were also chose for the same listening factor. There are many soundtrack enthusiasts who still prefer them to be released this way.

I'm probably wrong here but I remember reading this some time ago.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 08:21 PM   #63
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
My understanding of why complete scores are not released was due to the fact of limited media space many many years ago. The music was chosen to fit on the media and arranged in suites to sound better. Different takes and arrangements were also chose for the same listening factor. There are many soundtrack enthusiasts who still prefer them to be released this way.

I'm probably wrong here but I remember reading this some time ago.
Actually, you're right, but mostly in regards to when they were released on LPs and such. The music was arranged to account for the media. Once CDs arrived with nearly twice the data space, it had become primariy a financial reason.
Old January 28 2014, 08:37 PM   #64
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Also, composer produced albums (i.e. albums produced by the score’s composer) were subject to his or her specifications. Jerry Goldsmith was involved in the production, sequencing and duration of his albums. He didn’t like releasing complete scores, didn’t think most of his music needed to be out there, and was very much in favor of short albums.
Yet strangely the uncut Bootlegs of his final 3 Trek movies were some of the best out there.

Actually since we have experts here, why is it that the 10 films' soundtracks are divided up by so many different record companies? Was it down to the composer, was there a bidding war each time? How did they end up that way.
Old January 29 2014, 07:15 PM   #65
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

The reason that different labels have done the different films in the series is that the licensing decisions as to which label has the rights to which score is based on who is in charge at Paramount at the time, and which label subsequently gets the deal.

For example, the OST in 1979 was released on Columbia records.
I believe Sony eventually got the Columbia catalog (Columbia/Legacy), so they owned the rights to release those 9 tracks on CD.

They then negotiated with Paramount to expand for the films 20th Anniversary, adding an expanded "Inside Star Trek" album as a second disc.

This deal is still in place, and I believe that edition of the soundtrack is still in print.

La-La Land Records, through a relationship with Paramount and with Sony, negotiated the deal to do a limited 10k units.

If you read the small print, you'll find that Sony owns those 9 tracks, while paramount gets direct credit for everything else.

And that's just 1 of these releases.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 02:12 AM   #66
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Mine came today. Nemesis is my third-favorite Goldsmith score for Trek. Listening to it now as I work-- so good! I love those electronic textures. It's so moody; makes me imagine a much better film than the one I actually watched.

ALSO: Huzzah, I now own all eleven deluxe soundtracks. Life is amazing. Someone had better hurry up on into Darkness.
Old March 11 2014, 03:10 PM   #67
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Oh, so I get that the "alternate" tracks are the as-recorded mixes of tracks that weren't on the original soundtrack, but does anyone know why some are labeled "alternate" and others "alternate mix"? And why is there one track that has both an alternate and an alternate mix?
Old March 11 2014, 11:59 PM   #68
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Typically "Alternate" alone would refer to an alternate performance; "Alternate Mix" would then be just what it sounds like.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote