A three film comparison/face-off...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Which film did you like best (even with reservations)?

1. Star Trek (2009)

60 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. Prometheus (2012)

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

18 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. I liked them all equally...

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. I didn't care for any of them...

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

And yet, and yet. Yet another of your threads proves a large majority of people on this board disagree with you.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

So? I didn't start the thread to have people just agree with me. If they want to rave about a film I detest then they can do so to their hearts content.

Done. I just finished watching Prometheus for a second time and again, yeah, I like it a bit better this time around. For one thing the sound on the BluRay disc comes across better than what I recall hearing in the theatre. There are still some niggling problems, though, that aren't really clear.

The majority of the "scientists" were worthless. I could somewhat understand Fifield and Milburn starting to behave erratically out of exhaustion and panic, but overall they were idiots. And so it leaves the big question unanswered: why were these incompetents brought along on the expedition? I also question the Captain's deduction that the planet a sort of weapons depot housing something that got away from the Engineers. Of course, he's right, but the means by which he comes to that conclusion are left out. In the deleted scenes he explains that he saw something similar on Earth that he was reminded of by what he's seen on the planet. Just those few lines would have cleared up his apparent leap of logic. The final question, of course, is one left for the potential sequel: just why did the Engineers want to destroy humanity after supposedly creating it?

Yep, I still like it a bit better, but not as much as TDKR.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TDKR

An ugly mess.

Prometheus

A hot mess.

Star Trek

An entertaining mess.

4. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

New year, same old shit.

I liked all three movies.

Prometheus almost made the "ass" grade with the spastic scientist moments and Charlize Theron running in a straight line away from a giant rolling wheel.

TDKR consisted of superb moments that weren't connected very well.

Star Trek has made Warped9 uncontrollably cry for 5 years solid. That alone earns it respect.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I might as well ask the mods to close this. Everything was fine until this, from a jackass with an inflated sense of self importance who has never contributed anything of worth to a discussion. All he ever brings with him is a bag of dog shit to light on fire.

Mods, just close it.

6. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Happy new year!

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Like the best of those three seemingly random selections?

Star Trek 2009. I don't like the direction it's seems to be taking, what it looks like visually compared to TOS, nor do I think it had the strongest of stories, but I enjoyed it as a summer action movie. Which is about all it really was which is a bit sad, honestly. (The ending with making the young, recent graduate, Kirk captain of a ship also was bit "Starship Troopers-y".) But I can look at the movie as its own thing and enjoy it unconnected from anything that came before.

TDK: I don't think this movie too much "broke" the "curse" of the third installment of a superhero movie franchise. It's certainly not as bad as Superman III, the previous Batman movie franchise of even Spider-Man III but it's the weakest installment and has a lot of plot-holes and problems in it that aren't as easy to ignore as the previous Batman movies.

Prometheus. I liked it. It was good. Plot holes you can drive a truck through, but it was enjoyable enough.

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Infraction for trolling. Pertinent portions emphasized.

Comments to PM

Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is a fantastic summer movie and is in a different league from what had come previously.

10. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Good to compare movies, I suppose.

A better question: Which movie franchise would have benefitted from having Will Smith star in it?

I vote Prometheus.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Prometheus could not be saved by actors. It had a fantastic cast and that didn't help. If Idris Elba and Charlize Theron can't save you, what could Will Smith do?

12. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will Smith as Jim Kirk would have worked much better. Smith's inevitable issues with his star image would have moderated the Giant-Dick-Fucks-the-World! personality Abrams gave Kirk.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Here's an example of ST09's influence...a friend's girlfriend was not a huge SF fan, doubt she's ever watched a ST movie at all, but she watched ST09 on her own one night on DVD and she's watched it TEN times since...she loves the movie. This is the market expansion for the next one...add her to the BO take and Bluray...at the same time it creates a positive feeling for Trek.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Goodie for her.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Let's say hypothetically that you're not a fan of ST09 (it's hard to tell, because you're so ambiguous about your feelings on the movie that you might secretly love it :p); okay, that's fine, so you don't have to watch the movies. But why would you also look down on the impact they have on keeping the franchise as a whole alive?

The best chance to ever get another Trek TV show or movie you like short of time traveling to the past is for the franchise to continue to be a success and to spawn new movies and series. They may not be something you like initially, but they possibly could be in the future, because you don't know who will be involved in running things later on. Would you seriously rather have the entire franchise die out in terms of making new film and TV projects at all just because you didn't like the current stuff? Even if you hate ST09, you should appreciate that it helps keep the franchise afloat and not be upset by the fact that it has attracted new fans and give smarmy replies as a result.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Could things change around in the future? Yeah, sure, and I might just like it. But for now Abrams has done nothing to inspire my confidence. And if this is the form of Trek for the future then it is indeed sad, but I will be able to move on and it will be dead for me. There are other things to watch besides Trek...like Batman and other things.