3 more TOS novels added to S&S catalog for 2013

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FWIW I liked both MAriotte's Deny thy Father and No Surrender. His Supernatural novel Witch's Canyon was meh, but based on his Trek ,ahem, track record I'm looking forward to his novel.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:I'm glad we'll be getting some more TOS novels next year.I'm definitely intertested in getting:cool: these books.

3. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Mr Cox should try his hand at writing for Enterprise.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just to complete the set? :)

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, you seem to have an affinity for the 'early' Trek and it would be a pity if no-one continued it...

6. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All 3 are very fine reasons in my book.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It's not like no-one's wanting to continue writing Enterprise- I pitched a couple last year.

(Which, with hindsight, was clearly a tactical error when aiming for the year of the next movie with the TOS characters!)

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hm.... Deny Thy Father was definatly one of the weaker Trek novels. Not sure yet if I'll give Jeff another try. But if the blurb sounds good enough, I'll give it a shot.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for the show of support! I'm a little booked up at the moment, but who knows? Never say never . . . .

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Glad you're busy ! Keep it in mind though...;)

11. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really liked both of these, especially Rings. Looking forward to the 'new blood' in Treklit. Hope they were warned about the BBS though.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I hope they come on board the BBS ! I think they should be warned though...

13. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

Has the novelization been confirmed? Do we know who will be adapting it?

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it's still way too early for that.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Bit I would think Alan Dean Foster would be in with a shot...

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's hope Greg gets it this time! And that it's not such a blatant rush job as the STXI one was.

17. Admiral Rex

Admiral Rex Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would happy with that. Greg would be a great pick to write the next movie novelization. Alan Dean Foster's Star Trek novelization was lacking. It was pretty much the movie with no expansion of characters or new scenes except for Spock's birth and Kirk's uncle/step-father. I want more beyond what's in the the film. Vonda N. McIntyre did a good job with that in her novelizations.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As I'm sure Greg would tell you, that's not so much due to a difference in authors as to a difference in studio policies between then and now. Movie studios these days have become far more restrictive about their novelizations than they used to be. Authors used to be allowed to embellish, but these days many studios insist on absolute fidelity to the films. Not to mention that the extreme secrecy they impose means that authors are only given limited access to the script and aren't given time to do more than a straightforward adaptation. I know Foster was pegged for the ST '09 novelization very late in the game, and it's a testament to his ability and professionalism that he was even able to produce a readable work with so little time to do it in. I also know that his first draft had to be revised at the last moment to be more faithful to the film (though that's more because his first draft was from an earlier incarnation of the script). Given the intense secrecy Bad Robot maintains around its movies, I doubt Greg would be given any more freedom than Alan was.

19. Admiral Rex

Admiral Rex Lieutenant Red Shirt

I had a feeling Foster might have been under a time restraint, but I find it interesting that the movie studios now have tighter restrictions on novelizations.

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It's strange but true, and, IMO, counter-productive because the movie itself will be out to buy a couple of months later... You'd think variation would be *good* to encourage the audience to buy the story in different versions...

But that seems to be the way they roll nowadays.