Giving Enterprise another chance

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by JirinPanthosa, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Haters gonna hate. :p
    [​IMG]

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Baseball? Nah, they should have made him a WWE fan, raving to Trip about a cage match between a Gorn and a Nausicaan, and how they used to be best friends until the Gorn suddenly turned againt the Nausicaan and stole his girlfriend during a tag team match.

It would lay the groundwork for Archer's shocking reveal as Future Guy later on.:p

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Is it me or does the turtle in those SeaWorld ads that appear on the site look exactly like a Xindi aquatic?

Speaking of the Xindi, why are Xindi like the first race to have multiple sentient corporeal races on the same planet, if you don't count the dinosaurs from Voyager? And why do members of any given race look so similar to each other? Even humans on Earth who are the same species can look drastically different from one another.

And why does everybody in Star Trek refer to their race as 'Species'? That has to be the most unnatural dialog quirk in all of Star Trek. Nobody who isn't a biologist has an excuse to use that word in natural conversation to describe their own race.

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started reading through this thread, then stopped because I don't want to be spoiled! I'm in the middle of watching season 1 for the first time, and the show is starting to grow on me. I watched just a small portion of an episode or two when it first aired, so I didn't really give it an honest chance. I think what I like most about this series so far is the lack of technobabble. Anyway, cheers gang!

5. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here......Enterprise was a good series and as part of my me getting ready for Star Trek Into the Darkness, I'm watching Star Trek Enterprise starting with Season 1, episode 1 starting March 1, 2013. My plan is to watch as many episodes as I can between March 1 to May 17, 2013 the night of the movie release. I'm hoping that I will be able to watch all four seasons of Star Trek Enterprise, and then go into TOS, then TNG, then DS9, then Voyager. I have already been told that I will be lucky to get threw all four seasons of Star Trek Enterprise prior to release of the movie on May 17, 2013. So, wish me look on my journey.:)

6. JirinPanthosa

Season 4 is awesome so far. Why didn't they write the show this way in season 1?

In season 1 and 2, they pull the prime directive out of thin air during the most fringe case of the PD, they turn vulcan mindmelds into gay sex, they have Hoshi figure out an entire language including vocabulary in a few hours, T'Pol teaches colonists how to fight klingons by ducking back then rolling, Porthos pees on a tree, and Phlox cures assimilation in five minutes.

In season 4, they do what the series was actually meant for, they lay the groundwork for the Federation, and touch on major themes established in other series. Why did they wait four seasons to do this?! Is Manny Coto that much better than Rick Berman?!

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm watching season 3 right now. I disliked Enterprise when it aired, but like it better now. Being closest to our time, it *feels* like a real ship, if you know what I mean.

I just saw "Anomaly" and loved the firefights, the attention to detail. The unconventionalness.

edit: Annnnnd "extinction" just wiped out all that good will. Ugh, that ending. And here i thought Archer wanted to keep the sample to use as a possible biological warfare agent.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  9. JirinPanthosa

Extinction was actually the last straw that made me quit when it first aired.

My God, I'm trying to conjure up positive memories of the first two seasons, all I can remember:
    -Hoshi is able to figure out an entire language based on hearing it briefly.
    -Hoshi is afraid of transporters -- this leads to random reset button ep that is a hack of Next Phase
    -T'Pol teaches a colony of people to defend themselves against klingons by ducking then rolling
    -Phlox cures borg assimilation in five minutes
    -T'Pol gets a mindmeld transmitted disease and Vulcans don't want to cure it because mindmelds are bad OMG SOCIAL RELEVANCE HOMOSEXUALITY holy fucking shit that is stupid
    -Reed thinks saying 'Stinky' to T'Pol is sexual
    -Decontamination sauna
    -Phlox invents the prime directive in five minutes by allowing millions to die for no reason
    -Ridiculous time travel storylines
    -Trip can't sleep, Phlox prescribes erotic massages from T'Pol
    -Porthos pees on a tree, this leads to a revelation that Phlox cleans his long tongue with a metal rod.

Positive memories:
    -T'Pol likes Jazz
    -Alien uses stomach acid to cauterize Trip's wound
    -Mine goes through leg

Single scenes, mostly. Every NPC in the first two seasons was written terribly, every story was disposable, and all the emotions any character displayed before mid-season 3 was disposable sitcom emotions.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Breathtaking stuff for sure.

Though why people didn't like the Phlox scenes in ANIS I don't understand.. the tongue, the toenails, the late night dithering over animals and their food. That was all great slice of life material.